Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ian

Brock Turner - The Stanford Rapist

Have you guys heard about this guy? A jury found a Stanford swimmer guilty of raping a woman in 2015 and a California judge sentenced him to 6 months in jail. People caught with marijuana sometimes get decades in jail but this judge gives a young man who raped an unconscious woman 6 months of jail? What the fuck?

Here's the police report http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1532973-complaint-brock-turner.html

Here's the victim's statement to the convicted rapist https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/heres-the-powerful-letter-the-stanford-victim-read-to-her-ra?utm_term=.uwEX6Q8v5k#.ovR960Zde7

Our justice system needs serious reform.

The sentence needs to be extended.

On the topic of the system needing a reform, there was the Steve Titus case. I'm sure many people have heard about it, and I wont explain the whole thing, but long story short, he was wrongfully sentenced of rape based on faulty memory. He literally lost everything he had and eventually died from a stress induced heart attack at age 34 I believe.

tl;dr: The system is fucked up.

1 minute ago, Clamps said:

Dont forget the scumbag father's even scummier statement:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/06/06/a-steep-price-to-pay-for-20-minutes-of-action-dad-defends-stanford-sex-offender/

Let that douchebag have a daughter and see if he still sings the same tune. 

Brb going to shoot someone in the face and get a 1 week sentence because the crime took less than a minute.

1 minute ago, Junzou said:

Brb going to shoot someone in the face and get a 1 week sentence because the crime took less than a minute.

We already knew you were a quick shooter, 1 pump chump :lul:

justice system has been so flawed and ass backwards for so many years.

6 months is way to light, but the real torture will be when hes out of prison and has to face the consequences in real day to day life. good luck getting a job with convicted rapist on your resume.

Just now, Dr Pepper said:

6 months is way to light, but the real torture will be when hes out of prison and has to face the consequences in real day to day life. good luck getting a job with convicted rapist on your resume.

One of the questions they'll ask him will be "What are you skilled at doing?" and he'll answer "Sexually assaulting unconscious women."

I read the buzzfeed article by the victim, if you actually read what she has to say it looks open-and-shut that he deserves so much more time. Justice system needs to prioritize.

10 minutes ago, Triviali said:

I read the buzzfeed article by the victim, if you actually read what she has to say it looks open-and-shut that he deserves so much more time. Justice system needs to prioritize.

38 minutes ago, Dr Pepper said:

1 hour ago, Ian Kinsler said:

Have you guys heard about this guy? A jury found a Stanford swimmer guilty of raping a woman in 2015 and a California judge sentenced him to 6 months in jail. People caught with marijuana sometimes get decades in jail but this judge gives a young man who raped an unconscious woman 6 months of jail? What the fuck?

Here's the police report http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1532973-complaint-brock-turner.html

Here's the victim's statement to the convicted rapist https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/heres-the-powerful-letter-the-stanford-victim-read-to-her-ra?utm_term=.uwEX6Q8v5k#.ovR960Zde7

Our justice system needs serious reform.

The problem with the system goes both ways, if you are a man who is reported by a woman, you are seen as guilty until proven innocent by just about everyone,  hell how many cases are there of people getting falsely accused of raping anyone, and in a worse situation a minor and then getting a sentence. If getting falsely accused of rape is bad already you could imagine just how bad getting falsely accused of raping a minor could be, for those who can't imagine. You get put in a list where you will remain the rest of your life also for those who may not know, if you are a minor, you will still be put on the list. Even if you are later found not guilty the chances of you getting removed from said list are slim to none. While in this list you must never be within a certain distance of any location that may have children, such as schools and in some instances parks, in some cases, if you are on this list, should you move, all your neighbors will be notified, just in case.

Now it's true that him getting a 6 month sentence is terrible and it should have been extended, but we really don't know what was used as evidence and also take into account that colleges are prone to false rape charges so it may have influenced their decision in case they were wrong in their decision. His life is ruined though, just as Dr Pepper said, you must, whenever you get a job or attempt to get into any school, report that you committed this crime, even worse is the fact that because of the "lax" sentence, once he is outside many people may not see him as reformed making his friends and family avoid him.

1 hour ago, Clamps said:

We already knew you were a quick shooter, 1 pump chump :lul:

Two incher pincher. :lul:

While I agree this guy should be in prison for years if he is/was found guilty, I get angry when people (feminazis) claim he got a light sentence based off of his male privilege. Yet when two female teachers have sex with an underage boy over 40 times and get no prison sentence or become registered sex offenders (link), we don't see those same people screaming "FIGHT FOR EQUALITY! SEND THOSE WOMEN TO PRISON!" Don't get me wrong, the kid, and anyone at all, if found guilty of rape beyond a reasonable doubt, deserves to get severe prison time, I am just not a fan of the double standard.

On this topic however, I hate how our judicial system handles rape cases. Everyone should be innocent until proven guilty, even when they are accused of rape. And no one should be found guilty purely off of a testimony. We see many people who were wrongly convicted of rape, and their lives will never be the same again. Hell, even if you're accused of it, you can lose your friends, family, and job. Someone called Dr. Shaym on YouTube has an amazing video on the topic of believing rape claims and I recommend anyone who has 40 minutes to spare to watch it. 

38 minutes ago, Yunki said:

Someone called Dr. Shaym on YouTube has an amazing video on the topic of believing rape claims and I recommend anyone who has 40 minutes to spare to watch it. 

ive only watched 10 mins so far and he already torn her asshole out so much she would probably accuse him of rape XD

1 hour ago, SpartanSakaro said:

The problem with the system goes both ways, if you are a man who is reported by a woman, you are seen as guilty until proven innocent by just about everyone,  hell how many cases are there of people getting falsely accused of raping anyone, and in a worse situation a minor and then getting a sentence. If getting falsely accused of rape is bad already you could imagine just how bad getting falsely accused of raping a minor could be, for those who can't imagine. You get put in a list where you will remain the rest of your life also for those who may not know, if you are a minor, you will still be put on the list. Even if you are later found not guilty the chances of you getting removed from said list are slim to none. While in this list you must never be within a certain distance of any location that may have children, such as schools and in some instances parks, in some cases, if you are on this list, should you move, all your neighbors will be notified, just in case.

Now it's true that him getting a 6 month sentence is terrible and it should have been extended, but we really don't know what was used as evidence and also take into account that colleges are prone to false rape charges so it may have influenced their decision in case they were wrong in their decision. His life is ruined though, just as Dr Pepper said, you must, whenever you get a job or attempt to get into any school, report that you committed this crime, even worse is the fact that because of the "lax" sentence, once he is outside many people may not see him as reformed making his friends and family avoid him.

Are you fucking serious? We do know what was used as evidence, if you bothered to look it up on Google it would take you 5 seconds to find out that there were two witnesses that interrupted Turner assaulting the victim while she was unconscious. "Colleges are prone to false rape charges." No they fucking aren't and it's attitudes like this that led to the victim being dragged through hell for the past year while Turner and his lawyers tried to pin the blame on her for having the gall to drink or describing her as a slut that's crying rape. This dude was convicted of three felonies and you're commiserating about how this will affect his life after he gets out of jail in as little as three months? 

25 minutes ago, Yunki said:

While I agree this guy should be in prison for years if he is/was found guilty, I get angry when people (feminazis) claim he got a light sentence based off of his male privilege. Yet when two female teachers have sex with an underage boy over 40 times and get no prison sentence or become registered sex offenders (link), we don't see those same people screaming "FIGHT FOR EQUALITY! SEND THOSE WOMEN TO PRISON!" Don't get me wrong, the kid, and anyone at all, if found guilty of rape beyond a reasonable doubt, deserves to get severe prison time, I am just not a fan of the double standard.

On this topic however, I hate how our judicial system handles rape cases. Everyone should be innocent until proven guilty, even when they are accused of rape. And no one should be found guilty purely off of a testimony. We see many people who were wrongly convicted of rape, and their lives will never be the same again. Hell, even if you're accused of it, you can lose your friends, family, and job. Someone called Dr. Shaym on YouTube has an amazing video on the topic of believing rape claims and I recommend anyone who has 40 minutes to spare to watch it. 

Except it's not hard at all to see how the case was handled was marred by male privilege. His whole case was built around dismissing his assault as just an act of a drunk kid, pointed questions to the victim about her sexual history, statements about how she wanted it and was completely willing. When you have his friends making statements like "stop worrying about being politically correct every second of the day and see that rape on campuses isn't always because people are rapists" or his dad describing it as "20 minutes of action" it's pretty fucking easy to see how his brutal rape is being trivialized. "No one should be found guilty purely off of a testimony." What is this even supposed to mean? Are you saying that rape victims shouldn't speak up against their abusers, that crimes without a corroborating witness shouldn't result in a conviction? It's not hard at all to see why a majority of rapes in America go unreported if this is the attitude that people take towards victims. Also in the case that you mentioned, the teacher accepted a plea deal for an obscenity charge in one Parish and is facing two felony charges that each carry up to 10 years of jail time in another one. Hardly a damning example of a double standard when she can still receive up to twenty years in prison.

IMPORTANT EDIT: I just now realized the first part of your response was directed to Spartan, so I'm gonna go back and edit shit probably  I'm not gonna edit anything, too lazy. The point are still valid though.

1 hour ago, BananaPeelz said:

Are you fucking serious? We do know what was used as evidence, if you bothered to look it up on Google it would take you 5 seconds to find out that there were two witnesses that interrupted Turner assaulting the victim while she was unconscious.

Slow you roll there Banana. I haven't looked into this case at all which is why I specifically said "While I agree this guy should be in prison for years if he is/was found guilty [beyond a reasonable doubt]..." and "Don't get me wrong, the kid, and anyone at all, if found guilty of rape beyond a reasonable doubt, deserves to get severe prison time...". There could have very well been evidence besides a testimony from the accuser, and in this specific case there was. That's great, that's what we want. What I don't like is when people are put away simply because one person says it happened.

"Colleges are prone to false rape charges." No they fucking aren't and it's attitudes like this that led to the victim being dragged through hell for the past year while Turner and his lawyers tried to pin the blame on her for having the gall to drink or describing her as a slut that's crying rape.

Once again, I think you are failing to realize that I took this case as a way to talk about rape in our society, not just in college. False rape charges happen, you can not deny that. While multiple studies vary greatly in what they believe is the actual percentage of false rape accusations, I have found that about 8-12% is what I expect it to be. In the video that I posted, the dude talks about why the "2-8% of rape claims are false" is very misleading and it can very well be greater than 8%. 

Also, in my opinion, when two intoxicated people have sex with each other, and neither one of them say "no, I don't want to (continue having) have sex" a rape did not happen. Obviously, if one person is sober while the other is intoxicated, then it's a whole different situation. With that being said, false allegations are probably prone to colleges seeing as a good portion of people in college enjoy spending their evenings drinking and fucking up their body with other drugs, and some, while they are intoxicated decide to have sex, only to regret it the next day, or perhaps they have another motive. Anyway, I have no real evidence, it's my opinion, you don't have to like it. 

This dude was convicted of three felonies and you're commiserating about how this will affect his life after he gets out of jail in as little as three months? 

Never once did I did say I show sympathy for him because of what he will face after his three months in jail. I was implying people who were falsely accused of rape have to suffer tremendously from the allegations put against them. "We see many people who were wrongly convicted of rape, and their lives will never be the same again. Hell, even if you're accused of it, you can lose your friends, family, and job."

Never once did I say I feel sympathy for the dude. So don't twist my words, thanks.

1 hour ago, BananaPeelz said:

"No one should be found guilty purely off of a testimony." What is this even supposed to mean? Are you saying that rape victims shouldn't speak up against their abusers, that crimes without a corroborating witness shouldn't result in a conviction? It's not hard at all to see why a majority of rapes in America go unreported if this is the attitude that people take towards victims.

Once again, twisting my words. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man That link should help you out a bit. What I'm saying is, a testimony is NOT ENOUGH to put someone away for YEARS and ruin the rest of their life. EVERYONE is innocent until proven guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt, and if you believe that a testimony from the accuser is enough to put someone away FOR YEARS IN PRISON, then I don't know what to tell you. I highly suggest you watch the video I posted and I would love to hear your feedback from it. Also to make this clear to you, I never have and never will show sympathy to anyone who is put away for rape if they were put in prison while having a fair trial and were convicted with substantial evidence showing they committed the crime. I'll say it once more, everyone is innocent until proven otherwise; it is better to have 10 guilty men walk free than to have 1 innocent man put away for years. That is how our judicial system was based on, and how it should stay.

I really do hope you watch the video, he really does a good job explaining how I, and others, view this situation as a whole, not just this specific case.

EDIT: 

Also in the case that you mentioned, the teacher accepted a plea deal for an obscenity charge in one Parish and is facing two felony charges that each carry up to 10 years of jail time in another one. Hardly a damning example of a double standard when she can still receive up to twenty years in prison

She doesn't talk about rape specifically, but I believe she get's the point across.

52 minutes ago, BananaPeelz said:

Are you fucking serious? We do know what was used as evidence, if you bothered to look it up on Google it would take you 5 seconds to find out that there were two witnesses that interrupted Turner assaulting the victim while she was unconscious. "Colleges are prone to false rape charges." No they fucking aren't and it's attitudes like this that led to the victim being dragged through hell for the past year while Turner and his lawyers tried to pin the blame on her for having the gall to drink or describing her as a slut that's crying rape. This dude was convicted of three felonies and you're commiserating about how this will affect his life after he gets out of jail in as little as three months? 

True i did not read the article or see anything about the case ,but the entire first paragraph was more about rape cases in general and the second was half general half about this topic. Like i said even if he gets out earlier than he should his life is still in shambles.  Also you think the statistic range of 8% to 42% being false reports is not a lot? I would like to add that I never said anything about the victim, never even insinuated she may be lying or that she was asking for it, i simply stated that people lie hence why we should never just accept the words someone says simply because they sound plausible. 

I would like to add that the way you make it sound, i seem to be defending this guy. When did i ever say anything about my being worried for him? I simply stated that his life would be over, i also never stated he was innocent, hence why i said it was terrible he only got a 6 month sentence.

6 hours ago, Yunki said:

snip

That video was fucking awful tbh. "Being raped is traumatizing and can ruin your life, but at the very least people will give you sympathy." "Being falsely accused of rape is just as bad as being raped, if not worse." - DR. SHAYM WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK??? I mean I don't know what I expected out of some MRA video that calls feminists the real sexists but it somehow managed to disgust me even more than I expected. He spends the video hurling vitriol at her for "using misleading statistics and language to downplay false rape accusations" when he does the exact same thing to overstate how prevalent they are. He dismisses any concerns about victims being pressured by peers, police, and fear of reliving their trauma to retract their reports by saying "lol we're not mind readers how do we know what they thought get some statistics you spooky ess jay double eww" when there's evidence from actual academics of these things happening all the time. A 2006 paper by Philip Rumney concluded that police consistently miscategorize rape reports as "unfounded" or "no-crime" based off of dubious logic and the officer's personal judgement. It's written that officers "have fixed views and expectations about how genuine rape victims should react to their victimization" and "some officers continue to exhibit an unjustified skepticism of rape complainants, while others interpret such things as lack of evidence or complaint withdrawal as 'proof' of a false allegation." You know, the exact things that the woman he was arguing against in the video brought up that he handwaved away. This is pretty easily seen in cases like Baltimore, where the city went from having the highest rate of "unfounded" rape reports in the nation to dropping to less than 2% after they put better training into place and put an end to practices like dismissing rapes on the scene and berating women for waiting two hours to report their assault. If you want to see examples of how rape victims are treated when they take their case to trial see the letter written by the woman who was assaulted by Turner.

I indeed do have a problem with maliciously filed false reports. Most everybody thinks that committing crimes such as filing a false police report, defamation, and perjury is unacceptable. They're a nightmare for the men or women that are falsely accused and have a negative effect on the perception of rape in society. But I also have a problem with how victims are treated when they come forward and how many don't report their assaults because of societal pressures. So when the instances of false accusations are heavily inflated and perceived as being much more common than they actually are, victims who report their assaults are subjected to vitriol and harassment. You have very little to worry about in terms of someone being thrown in jail for rape based off of the testimony of one person. A pretty small amount of reported rapists are convicted. In fact, up to one half of all rape cases that manage to get charges filed are rejected for prosecution (and a huge proportion of cases don't even reach this stage). Also many cases that are overturned and men being released from prison are due to groups like the Innocence Project performing DNA testing and getting them acquitted. In these cases a woman was certainly raped, but the wrong man was fingered for the crime. 

TL;DR: Inflating the number of false rape accusations leads to more victims being harassed and called liars and more victims unwilling to speak up because they don't want to get called lying sluts. When they do happen they're obviously terrible, but I'm not even going to touch on the topic of prosecuting false rape accusations with the same sentencing as actual rapes because that's dumb as fuck.

6 hours ago, SpartanSakaro said:

snip2

I haven't seen any study go above 10% that didn't have serious methodology issues. I assume you're using the Kanin study as your evidence for up to 42% of reports being false, which is incredibly flawed and really lacks any basis in the scientific method. I know you didn't state that she was asking for it and whatnot, but attitudes that false rape accusations are common directly leads to victims being harassed for coming forward and being labelled as a slut and a liar. I apologize if I misinterpreted what you were saying, it seemed to me like you were decrying the effects being placed on the sex offender list will have on him.

8 hours ago, Yunki said:

Yet when two female teachers have sex with an underage boy over 40 times and get no prison sentence or become registered sex offenders (link)

bE65jZH.jpg

Ahh. I was wondering when I might see this on here. Here's a relevant post from Imgur that I read a day ago.

There's a petition on there to get rid of the judge. When I checked last night it was at 150k votes. It's nearing 500k tonight.

7 hours ago, BananaPeelz said:

I haven't seen any study go above 10% that didn't have serious methodology issues. I assume you're using the Kanin study as your evidence for up to 42% of reports being false, which is incredibly flawed and really lacks any basis in the scientific method. I know you didn't state that she was asking for it and whatnot, but attitudes that false rape accusations are common directly leads to victims being harassed for coming forward and being labelled as a slut and a liar. I apologize if I misinterpreted what you were saying, it seemed to me like you were decrying the effects being placed on the sex offender list will have on him.

Well i did not mean what i said in a way that says "any and all accusations are false, so might as well not waste your time." I meant it in a "Every report should be handled carefully because there is always a chance of a false report." Which is something i have seen a lot of people not do, instead they say "look at what she/he said, why would they ever lie." And just like that you have someones life ruined. Sure there is obviously people who are in the opposite end of the spectrum who go "she/he is a lying slut, why would you ever believe them" but this is the same reason why we should treat each case carefully and completely separate of other cases.

I fully understand what you mean about the problems victims go through, but that's the problems with this entire topic, if you tilt the law more in favor of the victim, the likely hood of increased false charges getting seen are true will increase a lot more, if you do the reverse and tilt it towards perpetrator then you will obviously have even less reports come in because of the increased pressure that would come from the report. All we can really hope to do is get better at dealing with these charges and hopefully find a better way of going about it than interrogating the victim for hours on end, or hooking the perp to a lie detector for a few hours.