Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iAlwaysFail

HELP! CPU is borked?

Sooooo, yesterday my gf was using my PC and said it just suddenly shutdown because of cpu overheating and she saw some options for a few seconds and it never turned on again. Left it overnight still nothing. Tested each part to see what was causing the problem and found that whenever I connect the CPU power cable to my MOBO it doesn't want to turn on, when I take it out my PC would turn on. Anyone came across this problem before and know how to fix it? 

Also I don't think it should have overheated because the max temp my CPU ever gets to is around 70 degrees celsius, and it was auto overclocked to 3.8 from 3.3. Noting that I only enabled the auto overclock about 1-2 weeks ago and it was 100% fine.

Help me please, Thank you <3

CPU: i7 5820k

MOBO: Asus X99-S

GPU: AMD R9 390

CPU Cooler: Arctic freezer i30

PSU: EVGA Supernova 750

RAM: 4x4GB HyperX 2666MHz DDR4

I thought "my brother" stories were stupid but now "my girlfriend"? Give me a break!

Put seriously, if the cable you are referring to is the button you press to turn it on then that makes sense. The button is stuck or broken and it always shorting out the leads on your mobo. All that button does is cause a short between two leads when you press it. Since it turns off it sees is as a long press which will turn off any computer immediately when pressed. A short press will give the OS a signal to shutdown which it can honor, ignore, or do something else like hibernate. If the OS has crashed you still need a way to turn off the computer that doesn't involve pulling the power cord and that is why the long push is there.

So now that I am done rambling... The reason it turns on after you remove it is because the button press causes a short of the leads. You are then taking the short away when you unplug it so the mobo registers it as a button press and to turn on. With the broken button plugged in it would turn on then very quickly turn off as it sees it as a long press and it wont turn back on because it thinks you are holding the power button down. 

6 hours ago, centran said:

I thought "my brother" stories were stupid but now "my girlfriend"? Give me a break!

Put seriously, if the cable you are referring to is the button you press to turn it on then that makes sense. The button is stuck or broken and it always shorting out the leads on your mobo. All that button does is cause a short between two leads when you press it. Since it turns off it sees is as a long press which will turn off any computer immediately when pressed. A short press will give the OS a signal to shutdown which it can honor, ignore, or do something else like hibernate. If the OS has crashed you still need a way to turn off the computer that doesn't involve pulling the power cord and that is why the long push is there.

So now that I am done rambling... The reason it turns on after you remove it is because the button press causes a short of the leads. You are then taking the short away when you unplug it so the mobo registers it as a button press and to turn on. With the broken button plugged in it would turn on then very quickly turn off as it sees it as a long press and it wont turn back on because it thinks you are holding the power button down. 

So is my mobo fucked? Its just the CPU and MOBO connected to the PSU. Also the button that you refer to, is it the power button on the mobo or the case? Because I removed all the wiring for the front panel buttons on the case and still does it

Hello guysss

I got my CPU RMA'd and received a replacement, and just to find out that it wasn't my CPU that was broken. Could it MOBO or PSU? Whats more likely help please.

1 minute ago, iAlwaysFail said:

Hello guysss

I got my CPU RMA'd and received a replacement, and just to find out that it wasn't my CPU that was broken. Could it MOBO or PSU? Whats more likely help please.

I don't think it's your PSU, Does the computer turn on with the new CPU? Like does it make noise?

25 minutes ago, Kordless said:

I don't think it's your PSU, Does the computer turn on with the new CPU? Like does it make noise?

I just have the the Mobo, PSU and CPU connected and 1 ram stick nothing else. It still doing the same problem I had when I plug in the CPU power cable into the mobo it doesn't turn on, when it isn't plugged in the mobo turns on

5 minutes ago, iAlwaysFail said:

I just have the the Mobo, PSU and CPU connected and 1 ram stick nothing else. It still doing the same problem I had when I plug in the CPU power cable into the mobo it doesn't turn on, when it isn't plugged in the mobo turns on

That is probably a cable/mobo issue.

If its a new CPU it can't be that.

Do you have access to another MOBO? 

2 minutes ago, Kordless said:

That is probably a cable/mobo issue.

If its a new CPU it can't be that.

Do you have access to another MOBO? 

Well have replaced the cables and no luck.

Nope, contacted amazon and they would give me full refund but can't replace as no stock but I still want to keep the same model mobo so rip lol

On 2 June 2016 at 0:15 AM, BLiNDBoi said:

When it doesn't turn on, do you mean it doesn't post to bios?

No, it just doesn't power on at all 

If the power supply is old that might of went bad/died. The problem with that as well as it could of damaged something else when it died too. Hard to say though.

On 5 June 2016 at 9:21 PM, BLiNDBoi said:

If the power supply is old that might of went bad/died. The problem with that as well as it could of damaged something else when it died too. Hard to say though.

Not even 1 year old yet >_< lol first pc build from july last year. Trying to RMA my PSU, and if still no play I guess definitely MOBO. Its annoying cause Amazon would give me full refund but can't replace cause no more stock and its been discontinued I think

Yeah, when you computer does not turn on no matter much, I look into the PSU as it is the main hub for power to any computer. I generally think it is the first thing that should go bad in a computer next to HDDs. If this isn't it, might be the motherboard or the main cable used to power it. I think you checked that one already if I recall reading a while back in this thread.

I really hope it isn't your motherboard because replacing that sucker is a major annoyance... basically would have to get a new computer or try your luck finding it on another site.