Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChosenOne2000

'Merica...we're kinda OK

4 hours ago, stealthysnacks said:

Maybe he's right. But I think he's just being negative.

hes being realistic, and he got the facts to back it up.

7 hours ago, stealthysnacks said:

Maybe he's right. But I think he's just being negative.

He is making people sad and depressed. They will need more meds now. We need to protect the children. Only happy happy.

Topics like these are hard for me to talk about, not because of sensitivity or anything benign like that, but because I've noticed tat I look at things such as this too logically. Either some product of my somewhat fucked up ADHD childhood or just the way my brain is wired makes me try to look at stuff like this from every angle fairly. I mean, objectively he's not wrong. We suck ass in a lot of basic educational structure and have some pretty debilitating policies (my opinion) that hold us back. 

I feel like my biggest cognitive dissonance comes from the fact that what he's saying not 100% true, even though he isn't wrong. He offers no solution to the problem and while I know its a television show it frustrates me because I see this shit every fucking day on the internet. Even in reasonable discussions people always try to polarize shit into stupid shit like 'the right side of history' and other ways to marginalize any other opposing thought. Added on to the fact that due to our fucked up election process resulting in a two party system, it ain't that great. 

I'm just disappointing that people can't seem to have logical or rational discussions, honest discussions, without someone preforming character attacks, or bringing up privilege and other directly pertinent topics aside from the main discussion point. People just don't know how to communicate with one another anymore and it sucks.

This speech from the HBO show Newsroom has been floating around all over the internet for quite a while. It does have a point about the United States and quite a bit of it is reality. I mean the show itself was based on news events that actually happened.