Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

camelFun

Stepping Down

Welp, I've been thinking about this for a while now.

For as long as I've been in sG I've been unemployed and out of school—That's just over three years this month now. For two of those years I've been an Engineer here, given a chance by Josh to make a theme, then given a chance by the rest of Staff to keep doing it and more. I've put a lot of what I've learned in college before dropping out to use here, and learned a lot more still... but it's time I get my shit together in reality instead of living in this proverbial limbo where there is an online world I once dedicated 100% of my time to, but now have as an itch that cannot be scratched, or a pressure that shouldn't feel like pressure just waiting there in the back of my mind.

Over these three years I've done some extremely unhealthy things and shown signs of mental illness. I'd like to say it's a byproduct of having thrown aside my life as it was and embrace a gluttonous escapism where the moment I take off my headphones it's as if nothing ever happened. I imagine it like that scene in Scrubs where Dr. Kelso makes all these decisions without caring for the well-being of his patients, then the moment he takes one step outside of the hospital it's as if nothing that day ever happened, and he's cheery as can be. In my case it's like this profound denial, and it's extremely unhealthy, and really, only remedied by not allowing myself to block out all sense of dignity and courtesy with illusion.

You've all dealt with some crazy shit I've done in the past, but still trusted me to keep doing what I'd been doing.

When we upgraded to IPB4, the only thing I was thinking about when I went to bed was what there was next for me to fix, and how people would take it. It's not something that should matter to anyone since things would go smoothly no matter what, but it did for me. Leaving Staff will be like relieving a huge, mental weight that for no valid reason has been keeping me ignorant of who I used to be, and contributing to that escapism blocking me from figuring out who I want to be.

Anyway, I won't say it wasn't fun, 'cause it definitely was! Only, just like every other thing I take to the extreme, it has to end sooner than later. Thanks for everything, really. 

I wasn't around for as long as you were an engineer but you did an amazing job, hopefully someone will be able to fill your position.  Good luck with your future!

Thank you Camel for putting in the hard work and effort to help upkeep and expand on our servers and forums. It's not easy work and you have put in great amount of time into this community. Best of luck to you man!

Good luck and thanks for all you've done! 

Don't worry too much on figuring out what big step you need to take next. Just take everything one day at a time. You are such a well respected Eng here in sG just think what you can accomplish at other jobs! 

Hey man, I hate to see you leave but I'm really glad that you're taking matters into your own hands and looking out for yourself.

Thank you for all that you've done, and know that we'll always be here if you need some autism.

Thank you camel for all your time in the community. I've missed the times where we use to hangout in ts and play gmod. Maybe one day we can do it again. 

Thanks camel, it was great working with you!! Hope you get things figured out!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Fuck no you can't step down. SG = Life

Just think you could probably put the management and things you've done for the community as work experience. Voluntary work experience. Experience regardless of from where always looks good bro.

Whether you go back to school or find a kick ass job, I'm confident you'll do fine. 

33 minutes ago, Sandy said:

u smart

u loyal

u grateful

i appreciate that

1 minute ago, Sean said:

u grateful

i appreciate that

i wanna be

the very best

Thanks for your work Camel! You've kept the forums up to spec for a long time and I, and im sure the rest of the community, appreciate the time you've put in. 

Real shame to see you go. Although we barely talk now days, you were still the first staff member to really approach me and I want to say "guide" me as soon as I got SO, you peptalked me onto becomming more confident, something you should've never done because power corrupts, and I thank you for that.

Thank you for everything you've done for the community and for being an extremely nice guy yourself, best of luck in getting your stuff sorted, you're a smart individual and I'm sure you'll be able to do so in a fair amount of time.

Now Klark has free reign to destroy the forums layout. FeelsBadMan