Sign in to follow this  
ZachPL

Rust Server Wiped + New Mods 2x Gather/Half Craft

The first two weeks of rust server was interesting. We had a large clan small groups and lonewolfs, lots of people raged and plenty of fun.

In order to try to retain some of our players though I decided we need to lessen the penalty for dying on our server somewhat and make it easier for players to play by themselves.

So for this wipe we decided add the 2x Gather mod along with the 1/2 craft mod this should make it significantly easier to build alone or after you die and hopefully make people rage less than they were previously.

I also spent like an hour finding what I think is a great seed so come on the server and try it out and let me know how things are going, i'm still open to new mods or ideas and i'm probably going to open up a thread so people can suggest seeds for the next wipe.

3 hours ago, ZachPL said:

i'm still open to new mods or ideas

One mod that I really dig is a leveling system for gathering and crafting. It's pretty simple: you level up woodcutting by chopping wood, mining by mining ores, and skinning by gathering from dead bodies. You gain a tiny fraction more resource per swing if you have a higher level. I'm all for vanilla servers and balance but this mod really gives an extra level of satisfaction for actually putting in the time to gathering materials and with proper gain/level values it could be pretty balanced.

Oh and I'm also gonna come back and set up a base so that I can raid Narwhals.

Edited by Rootbeer

12 minutes ago, DerpyPwny said:

A bigger stack size to compensate for the x2 gather would help. I already mentioned to Zach, but posting to see if other people agree.

It'd be nice for charcoal

Hmm, I might give it a second try, though this will probably mean the guys who have 100's of hours on the server just end up with 8 times overpowered bases/supplies.

Hmm, I might give it a second try, though this will probably mean the guys who have 100's of hours on the server just end up with 8 times overpowered bases/supplies.

As evident by the people wanting bigger stacks because fuck giving people a chance to rebuild we need to stock pile resources so we can dominate everyone who attempts to build on "my server"

21 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

One mod that I really dig is a leveling system for gathering and crafting. It's pretty simple: you level up woodcutting by chopping wood, mining by mining ores, and skinning by gathering from dead bodies. You gain a tiny fraction more resource per swing if you have a higher level. I'm all for vanilla servers and balance but this mod really gives an extra level of satisfaction for actually putting in the time to gathering materials and with proper gain/level values it could be pretty balanced.

Oh and I'm also gonna come back and set up a base so that I can raid Narwhals.

WHAT

YOU FUCKING WOT M8

8 hours ago, centran said:

As evident by the people wanting bigger stacks because fuck giving people a chance to rebuild we need to stock pile resources so we can dominate everyone who attempts to build on "my server"

It's the opposite really, if we wanted to stockpile resources then we'd just build more large chests. More inventory size = less time returning to base and out there in the field gathering resources to build/upgrade your base.

Increased stack size doesn't provide any inherent advantage for veterans over new players, since everyone gathers resources at the same rate. It just means being able to scavenge more per trip away from base. If anything it benefits new players since they can more quickly get the 10k+ stone and wood they'd need to build a small, modestly fortified starter base because they wouldn't have to stop and do inventory management.

Is there any way to increase yield from rock quarries? At this point with the 2x gather mod, the rock quarries just don't put out enough material to even warrant its usage when you can just go smack a rock and 66 of a material falls out in one swipe. Maybe amp up the production 1.5x or 2x?

The pump-jack (oil rig) seems fine at it's current setting.

Edited by Velo

2 hours ago, .Karma. said:

The server is down :/

Not sure why. It should have been up as everything appeared to be running. Restarted and confirmed players can connect. 

Just now, centran said:

Not sure why. It should have been up as everything appeared to be running. Restarted and confirmed players can connect. 

Dakka and I both had the same issue, just dropped out of nowhere.

Just now, .Karma. said:

Dakka and I both had the same issue, just dropped out of nowhere.

Maybe too many file handles where open. I didn't investigate why. I just restarted. I know that rust not closing file handles is a known bug and we had that issue a week ago. We might have to add an alert on that.

2 minutes ago, .Karma. said:

You feel this way because you are a shitty and cannot handle being killed in a video game. Get better, cry less, pew pew more.

u wot I died literally once, sorry I don't have hundreds of hours on the game and actually have things to do during the day, u wot m8