Sign in to follow this  
UnknownLegend

New Forum Format Suggestions

Aiite, I know you're working on it and it just launched today, but here's my biggest complaint about the forum layout now -- it's too fucking big.  Unnecessarily so.  There's too much space between everything.  Here are some comparison shots, and some specifics on what changed that could be changed.

1)  Chatbox is fucking huge.

Old: 5 lines, 220 pixel height.  Icons are shrunk down from their standard size, and everything displays on 1 line by default if it fits ICON-NAME-MESSAGE.  YOU CAN MINIMIZE IT.

New: 6 lines, 420 pixel height.  Icons are shrunk slightly, but bigger than they need to be.  Messages display on 2 lines by default. YOU CAN'T MINIMIZE IT.

2)  Announcements -- I don't have an example, but they're one thin bar in the old version, and this one has a mini post that you guys set not to be dismissable with a lot of empty, white space above and below the actual announcement.

3) Sidebar items -- I can dismiss them all in the old forums, in these forums, you cannot.  They apparently also show up inside of threads now (did they before?), and just suck up space that could be used (again) for the actual content of the thread.  This screenshot is 1250 pixels wide, text only displayed in 700 pixels.  Appears to be slightly less of an issue on the Brave theme, because the left sidebar is removed which adds about 300 pixels for thread content.

4) Size of each subforum

Old: 75 pixels, description on mouseover, .  Newest post split into 2 lines (title:::Date,Poster), 40 pixels.

New: 115 pixels, description has its own special place below links to the actual subforum, .  Newest post split into 3 lines (title:::Poster:::Date), 55 pixels.

5) Child forums

Old:  If the listed child forums could fit on one line, they would all be listed on one line.  100 pixels for this vs....

New: Child forums are split into 2 columns, the font is bigger, and the space between each line is bigger.  320 pixels for this.

6)  I don't know how to describe this... definition? Organization?

Old:  The links, shoutbox, and announcements made up the "top" of the forums.  They spanned across the entire top of the page.  The list of subforums and all the side modules appeared underneath them, and it gave a little bit better definition (in my opinion) to the forums, and made the shoutbox more prominent, but differentiated it from the forums below.  I don't have to scroll down an entire page to see the forums or a post that I'm reading.

New:  The shoutbox blends with the forums, the sidebars take up space that could be used for the shoutbox and announcements so they aren't quite as long.  I have to scroll down an entire page length to get to the forums or a post I clicked on.

I'm bored of this now, but I'm sure I'll edit when I notice more shit.

Edit:  I can't ninja edit shit any more to make people look dumb.  Move that to complaint #1.

"New Posts" and "New Topics" are missing on the right side for Brave Theme. As Junzou stated, the shoutbox is just too freaking big, I also would like to have the ability to dismiss some side panels, I don't really want to see who has the biggest epeen muny dick or who recently donated. I just want to see who recently posted/made a thread.

Activity page doesn't have a shoutbox. I'm having to resort to using that page just to see new posts/threads which is why I'm bringing the shoutbox part up.

not that it matters much as the other stuff to do but there's a typo I saw on the "Who was online" section on the bottom.

"Most members ever online in 24 hour was 211, last accomplished on 3 hours ago."

there's a missing "s"

Edited by Ryziou

please move the forum navigation bar BELOW the shoutbox.. it's annoying to have to scroll above the giant chatbox to click a forum thingy

3 hours ago, driz said:

please move the forum navigation bar BELOW the shoutbox.. it's annoying to have to scroll above the giant chatbox to click a forum thingy

this,  -- The  chat box is way to freaking big. ~

I don't know where it is now,  but I can't view my reputation anymore. I used to be able to see which one of my posts got -rep'd but now it only shows which posts I personally -/+rep'd. (which happens when I click community reputation under my profile)

4 hours ago, zhopia said:

I don't know where it is now,  but I can't view my reputation anymore. I used to be able to see which one of my posts got -rep'd but now it only shows which posts I personally -/+rep'd. (which happens when I click community reputation under my profile)

You can find posts that receive rep in your activity feed. You can also go to Notifications > Notifications Settings, and turn on notifications every time you receive rep, if you really want to see it.

7 hours ago, zhopia said:

3 hours ago, Moose said:

You can find posts that receive rep in your activity feed. You can also go to Notifications > Notifications Settings, and turn on notifications every time you receive rep, if you really want to see it.

Or profile --> See reputation activity --> posts