Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darren

Another JB rule question thread

This is kind of a double question: When Ts are ordered to take a step out of cell and freeze, how far away from cell is considered more than a step? If I'm BHOPing in cell before cell doors open, and momentum carries me out further than a normal step, does that make me KOS? Am I allowed to move back into a position closer to cell?

I ask because I've been killed several times with the reason "took more than one step" because they see I'm a foot or two further from cells than everyone else.

EDIT: and whenever I message admins about it I'm usually ignored :\

Jumping out of your cell doesn't count as a step and you can get shot for it.

Sick freepost duuuuude

Here's my advice: Don't go out of your way to try to get freekilled, just take a normal step out and the problem never happens.

EDIT: also what he said ^^^

Jumping out of your cell doesn't count as a step and you can get shot for it.

Sick freepost duuuuude

jump steps do not count as 1 step, also jumping is not allowed on ANY movement command

What if it isn't a jump that carries me out, like if I got a running start or simply hold w a split second longer? All I want to know is how far from cell is too far?

What if it isn't a jump that carries me out, like if I got a running start or simply hold w a split second longer? All I want to know is how far from cell is too far?

All you have to do is make sure you are out of your cell, but as close to the cell door as possible. It's really not that hard.

All you have to do is make sure you are out of your cell, but as close to the cell door as possible. It's really not that hard.

That doesn't answer the question :|||| at what distance from my cell am I KOS?

1 Step. You should already know this. If you jump out of your cell into that space directly in front of it from your cell (like I've done myself and never had a problem) you'll be okay. If you vault out of your cell like a retard, more than one step away, expect to be KOS'd the fuck out of.

Now, slopes directly in front of cells are different. You do the orders and start jumping in place. As long as warden doesn't restrict jumping, you can use the momentum there to get almost halfway across cell block just by bhopping in place.

An exact distance would be largely arbitrary as there is no easy way to define a "step" while in game other than perhaps using source's "unit", but it would be ridiculous to have to check a player's exact position relative to their cell before deciding if they are Kos or not.

Furthermore, being Kos or not for defying the one step out order is not as black and white as simply being past an imaginary distance away from your cell. Some ct's might try to find any reason to kill you while others wouldn't see anything wrong.

The easiest and simplest answer would be that as long as you don't do any of the aforementioned momentum-gaining actions (e.g. bhop, run jump) and simply walk out of your cell then promptly release your movement key then you should be okay. Honestly it's a very pedantic detail and as long as you stay relatively in line with the rest of the terrorists then you should be fine.

See, mips understood what I was asking.

Since not everyone takes the same sized "step" I think that if it isn't obvious whether or not a "step" is too big then the warden should order the offending T to move closer, instead of a CT sitting there like they do contemplating whether or not it's "more than one step". It would then turn an ambiguous situation into a concrete one where either the T complies or does not. Removes the grey area.

i judge steps by seconds. example: if it take 5 seconds to walk to X then X is 5 steps away. if it takes you more than 1 second to walk back into your cell than you are more than 1 step away. its a rule of thumb i use.

Honestly, if people want to killwhore because you're a little further from your cell, they can. If it's clearly more than one step, even if you say momentum carried you, they can do it, and most likely won't get slain for it. As others have said, just don't try and bait the freekills. If you're pushing the limits of the orders, there's a good chance you're going to get killed, with no respawn/punishment to the person who killed you. 

We will soon add a new rule to the motd that a step shall be classified as movement between 6-12 units. We are writing a new command tool that will allow you to measure distances from two points on a map. This will allow the beginning of rounds to drag out like other JB servers. This seems to work for other servers as players enjoy AFK freezing for 6 minutes. The time it will take the CTs to measure the step of all the Ts took should get our starting round time to at least 10 minutes. This will be better then other servers and should attract more players to our servers. Thank you for your suggestion.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

We will soon add a new rule to the motd that a step shall be classified as movement between 6-12 units. We are writing a new command tool that will allow you to measure distances from two points on a map. This will allow the beginning of rounds to drag out like other JB servers. This seems to work for other servers as players enjoy AFK freezing for 6 minutes. The time it will take the CTs to measure the step of all the Ts took should get our starting round time to at least 10 minutes. This will be better then other servers and should attract more players to our servers. Thank you for your suggestion.

better get to changing the round time then.

See, the problem is these kids that like to bhop out of their cell do it so they take like 5 steps out but do it in one hop so then they think they took one step but the momentum of their hop is carrying them and since they still have momentum from this. The order is to take a step out and freeze. If you would have actually been frozen you wouldn't have momentum to be moving and jumping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

better get to changing the round time then.

Why? I thought rounds where you never leave the front of your cells is fun and what the people want. Seems to work for other servers!

Why? I thought rounds where you never leave the front of your cells is fun and what the people want. Seems to work for other servers!

I think he's saying we need longer rounds! 10 minutes is much too short, as we need more time to AFK freeze and measure distances everyone went.

I think he's saying we need longer rounds! 10 minutes is much too short, as we need more time to AFK freeze and measure distances everyone went.

It always saddens me that we never have enough time to put our butts to cells too :\

It is the perfect combo with AFK freeze.

=_=

I only suggest that there be some protocol to make the rule less ambiguous and open to killwhoring, like what I mentioned above about a warden simply ordering a T to move closer to their cell.

Anyways, if you haven't guessed already then you will probably find out that I'm a stickler for rules. I like making sure that what I'm doing, or what someone else is doing, is right. And when a rule is ambiguous I'll push it until I've discovered its parameters. What I've learned from this thread is that the parameters of this particular rule depends on which CT is enforcing it :<

May as well allow AFK freeze again judging by how many stupid wardens restrict jumping, crouching, spraying your spray, and flashing flashlight upon taking a step out.  /S

25 minutes ago, Kordless said:

May as well allow AFK freeze again judging by how many stupid wardens restrict jumping, crouching, spraying your spray, and flashing flashlight upon taking a step out. /s

Theres a difference between that and standing still not being able to touch your screen. 

And then theres "putt your butts to your cell door". 

Just don't.