Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trav

Helping my brother build a gaming computer.

Okay so he said he's going to wait for some deals in the spring to buy but what do you guys think about these parts? The peripherals are there just for him to make note of in the future. I don't think he'll be buying a 144hz monitor, keyboard or mouse/mousepad just yet.

I haven't built a computer in a long while so I'm fairly fresh at this now.

What do you think?

4126e34865.png

a4382daeb1.png

331ee6ccf3.png

Again that's hella expensive and he's not buying all of it. But are there any tweaks you would make to the PC parts?

Unless you're in canada, holy fuck is newegg overpriced now. Otherwise everything is pretty solid, except for the horrendously incompatible motherboard. LGA 775 is Pentium 4/Core 2 era. You need a Z97 or similar chipset

Okay with some help with the homies in staff they suggest a different MOBO

Maybe something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132512

Along with a 'Gold' PSU. Corsair or EVGA.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139054

you can probably save 15 bucks with a zowie

I actually told him to try that but they didn't have any in stock.

Yeah I'm in Canada.

What is he going to be doing that he needs a 500gb ssd? I've got a 128gb ssd that has my windows loaded on it and a few after effect projects. Same with the 144hz monitor, if he's not playing games that require quick reactions, what's the point? (unless of course he is :P) p.s. I see the, "for the future" next to the peripherals, just thought i'd bring it up.

Edit: don't cheap out on the motherboard

What is he going to be doing that he needs a 500gb ssd? I've got a 128gb ssd that has my windows loaded on it and a few after effect projects. Same with the 144hz monitor, if he's not playing games that require quick reactions, what's the point? (unless of course he is :P)

He used to play CS and wants to get into CSGO too. He's also getting into making movies too.

Unless you're in canada, holy fuck is newegg overpriced now. Otherwise everything is pretty solid, except for the horrendously incompatible motherboard. LGA 775 is Pentium 4/Core 2 era. You need a Z97 or similar chipset

Canadian dollar is shit fam smh

Everything there looks pretty good for a "starters" gaming PC, has your brother played PC a lot before, or is it relatively new to him? Looks like a good build to me, although the price of that mouse pad looks pretty jacked up, GL

Those are in Canadian dollars, I was about to link a cheaper vendor of the same video card but thought something was off when I couldn't find a vendor for the listed price.

What is he going to be doing that he needs a 500gb ssd?

500gb ain't bad, I've seen lots of sales nowadays where they go from $170 usd -> $120

Also I plugged a few parts into pcpartspicker, if you don't mind this:

XMzpu3j.png

then you're good to go.

I would recommend at least 16 gb RAM, if only because I faced memory issues with 8 gb before getting the other 8. Also would recommend an ASUS m5a99 mobo

Everything there looks pretty good for a "starters" gaming PC, has your brother played PC a lot before, or is it relatively new to him? Looks like a good build to me, although the price of that mouse pad looks pretty jacked up, GL

As well with the mouse, I recommend looking around on all of the websites, such as amazon. Already found the Razer Deathadder Chroma for 60 bucks here:

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-DeathAdder-Chroma-Multi-Color-Ergonomic/dp/B00MYTSDU4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1455050647&sr=1-1&keywords=deathadder

I would recommend at least 16 gb RAM, if only because I faced memory issues with 8 gb before getting the other 8. Also would recommend an ASUS m5a99 mobo

Yeah, I would recommend 16 gb too. Most of the recent games have maxed out my memory at like 90% usage, which is annoying (I have 8gb ddr3). Also, with the motherboard, please don't cheap out on that.

Thanks for taking the time to help out!

If you guys see any deals, be sure to post them when you see them!

Not sure when computer parts usually go on sale but I'd imagine they have a spring sale coming up in the next few months.

Unless you're in canada, holy fuck is newegg overpriced now. 

I did a similar price check on his items. 

The price came out almost the same.

In £.

nearly $3000+ Canada dollars

You people have it easy.

:<

I got my ssd right when they got cheap enough to be purchased like 5 years ago, 128. I definitely wish it was double that so I could install my more frequently played games on it.

I did a similar price check on his items. 

The price came out almost the same.

In £.

nearly $3000+ Canada dollars

You people have it easy.

:<

i mean there's also the degenerate furry tax in your case

id honestly suggest waiting a couple months for pascal or going with a 390 because the 970 only has 3.5gb vram

devs are getting lazy with their optimization i think the new tomb raider uses something like 6gb on max

i mean there's also the degenerate furry tax in your case

id honestly suggest waiting a couple months for pascal or going with a 390 because the 970 only has 3.5gb vram

devs are getting lazy with their optimization i think the new tomb raider uses something like 6gb on max

He's already waiting a couple months so that's definitely something to consider.

Personally, I wouldn't use anywhere near a 500 gb SSD, currently have 128. I also use several external hard drives and a 2TB in the computer. I don't know how much other stuff he's going to be using the computer for but 1 GB is enough for game storage?

The 3.5gb thing is overplayed and dramatized to a Konah-esque level. If you're pushing the envelope with that VRAM, you should've bought a 980/980Ti and it's your fault for cheaping out

Personally, I wouldn't use anywhere near a 500 gb SSD, currently have 128. I also use several external hard drives and a 2TB in the computer. I don't know how much other stuff he's going to be using the computer for but 1 GB is enough for game storage?

A big SSD is really nice for games you play a lot. Also it's really easy to fill up a SSD with newer games.

Star Citizen: 74qCz3H.png

CSGO:S4yVryG.png

Arma 3:Yvak8YS.png

Games are getting bigger and bigger so its nice to have more room on an SSD. 

Definitely wait on purchasing the 970 when NVIDIA'S new graphics card comes out. I would also suggest on just purchasing the RAM somewhere down the road when there is some sort of sale. What kind of games will your brother be playing/want to start playing as a result of getting the new build.

Edit: Logitech was having a sale with their G810 and G910 where if you buy it you get a code to get an online copyof THE Division. Not sure if the offer is valid in Canada, but your basically paying $100 for a nice mechanical keyboard and $60 for a game. $160 U.S dollars

A big SSD is really nice for games you play a lot. Also it's really easy to fill up a SSD with newer games.

Star Citizen: 74qCz3H.png

CSGO:S4yVryG.png

Arma 3:Yvak8YS.png

Games are getting bigger and bigger so its nice to have more room on an SSD. 

That's true. I was thinking about filling up your SSD with games you play more frequently and the new games you get. Older and completed ones would then be moved to the hard drive. On a side note, that's a huge size for CSGO, but I'm assuming it's from downloading plugins, maps, etc. In reality, a faster hard drive could be comparable to an SSD in terms of time when loading up a game. Since the price of an SSD rises exponentially with the storage space, I would still consider a smaller SSD but larger hard drive more important.

Would highly recommend not getting the that Asus monitor in particular, I went threw a few of them with pixels not working... And ips looks so much more better! Many more colors...

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk