Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thorgot

Planned Papa's Kingdom Update

I've been tossing around the idea of updating Papa's Kingdom for a while. It is a very popular map. However, it was Papa's first map so it has some small balance flaws that cause issues almost every time it is played. Most notably, one-way walls were only an occasional issue when the map was first released, because only a few people knew how to get into the vents and they generally wouldn't abuse them because it's no fun to kill people who have no chance of shooting back, but as the years have gone by, more and more unscrupulous people learned them to the point where one of them had to be removed entirely. I'd like to remove the rest (allowing access to the sky room in the process) and take advantage of the update to make other tweaks and additions to the map.

One-way walls

• Make sky room floor glass (no longer one-way) and allow it to be entered again. (JFK had already done this in his version of the map.)
  • Remove one-way wall from DFH vent.
  • Remove NODRAW from above DFH vent.
  • Remove one-way wall from vent above cells.
  • Remove one-way wall from maze vent.
  • Remove one-way wall from awp vent in LR room.
  • Box cage vents

Vents

• Extend DFH vent to connect to main vent to give rebellers another exit. This compensates them for the following.
  • Extend vent above cells to exit above armory. Add entrance to armory on roof. This would make it significantly harder to camp armory.

Games

• Add recall button for maze.
  • Remove unfair aspects of maze (remove the ground you can fall through, remove the walls you can walk through). You'll still be able to die, but the pit will be visible. Removing the walls you have to know you can walk through will reduce the time the game takes, which is currently extremely high.
  • Change maze ending to have visible walls. Same reason as above, to lower the extreme amount of time the game currently takes and to make it less reliant on memory.
  • When you enter slide race/course you can spam jump when you fall down into the restart area, and not be affected by the recall button. Extend the recall area to include the area at the start. (Thanks Scrub)
  • Add back missing wall to race. (Thanks K1LLeR)
  • Make slide race recall button recall both sides of race in addition to slide race.
  • Add a few more map games. Strafe jump with 1 try, 2 tries, and 4 tries buttons. Sharpshooting.
  • Add recall button to extreme climb on clouds. Kappa

General

• Label buttons. (Recall button for slide race, cell button, music buttons, etc)
  • Fix buttons that display the map credits on the side of simon says wall.
  • Prevent seeing through corner of cells into vent and vice versa, finally ending the annoying debate about whether you can shoot people you see through it. (JFK did this)
  • Add landing pad on top of box cage for an easier version of the super ninja parkour master jump from the pool launch pad.

Textures and Brushes

• VIP Cell stairs clipping with ground
  • Armory door clipping with armory
  • Button texture sides are just the button texture stretched

Do you have any thoughts? Other issues I should fix? Games I have to add? Are the flaws actually positive quirks and I should go to hell? (Hint: they're not.)

Bonus link to Papa's original thread.

I'm pretty sure you've listed all the major problems, if not all of them. Another game like jump rope or surf would definitely freshen up the map as you said too.

Definitely agree with one way walls, especially since they aren't that difficult to enter. All your ideas are great and I can't wait to see the outcome!

I like the part of Extend vent above cells to exit above armory. Add entrance to armory on roof. This would make it significantly harder to camp armory

When you enter slide race/course you can spam jump when you fall down into the restart area, and not be affected by the recall button. Not sure whether its a glitch or just something that isn't included in the recall area.

Either way, I think that this should be fixed.

When you enter slide race/course you can spam jump when you fall down into the restart area, and not be affected by the recall button. Not sure whether its a glitch or just something that isn't included in the recall area.

Either way, I think that this should be fixed.

Excellent, thanks for the bug report. Definitely will fix that one.

Make 2 vents in the cell block (excluding the cell to get behind cells) only have 1 of the 2 able to be opened (like spy v spy) helps with less cts vent camping invokes co-operation between ts. Maybe even have 1 or 2 rounds where the vent doesnt open.

I've been playing jailbreak for just over 3 years now and Papa's Kingdom has always been a regularly played map. Although it is a classic, I'm glad to see these progressive changes and can't wait to see more to come! To add, I would greatly suggest editing awp/deagle cubby in the lr room. The hole in the wall has a one way door that can be opened from inside and out. You could either remove the one way view, or make the door only accessible from the outside so the rebelers are trapped inside.

For games, i would say roulette and/or last reaction, easy way to reduce the number of T's on a map where rebelling is quite popular

And maybe a real disco?

can you please keep this one? its not very well known and you can only see into dth, you cant camp the vent entrance like the other vents with 1 way walls. and i do so much enjoy going up there when we actually play dth.

Add entrance to armory on roof.

please yes, this would actually give that invis ledge by medic a purpose.

can you please keep this one? its not very well known and you can only see into dth, you cant camp the vent entrance like the other vents with 1 way walls. and i do so much enjoy going up there when we actually play dth.

not anymore it's not.

The DFH vent has an obvious one way wall. Can you also remove the one way wall on top that allows cts to use the diving board to see them from above?

Also I'll try to make a list, but there are map exploits that allow you to see through quite a few textures. For example when you are entering vent in vip cell you can sit at the mesh of water and the vent entrance to see through several solid walls.

Take the away invisible walls around the pool,  I would love to have more super parkour jumps added with the removal of the walls also.

Papa's Kingdom Issues

• The 3rd from the right slot in race on papas kingdom is missing a wall.
  • The vent under VIP stairs no longer heals for some reason.

Also for the maze can we keep the last area instead of deleting them. Like just texture them because the crouching through the hole and stuff i thought was a good idea for maze. Then again i'm one of the few who have the entire maze memorized...

One other thing is you can see into the vent under cells by looking through the water in the VIP cell vent. Kind of sucks to get domed through that.

This is an easy fix if the issue is just nodraw on the walls.

Also if you add a recall to clouds (not sure if joke lol if it is you should fix it xD) the gate is broken and people get stuck in it unless you shoot the open button twice. nErd_ uses extreme climb every round on clouds to run out time lol

Papa's Kingdom Issues

• The 3rd from the right slot in race on papas kingdom is missing a wall.
  • The vent under VIP stairs no longer heals for some reason.

Also for the maze can we keep the last area instead of deleting them. Like just texture them because the crouching through the hole and stuff i thought was a good idea for maze. Then again i'm one of the few who have the entire maze memorized...

This is an easy fix if the issue is just nodraw on the walls.

Also if you add a recall to clouds (not sure if joke lol if it is you should fix it xD) the gate is broken and people get stuck in it unless you shoot the open button twice. nErd_ uses extreme climb every round on clouds to run out time lol

That's what I was going to do for maze. Probably a fairly transparent glass that can still be a bit confusing but is still better than NODRAW.

I'm not going to edit clouds. It would take years to compile on my current computer.

OP updated. I've set up the SDK and textures I was missing on this computer, and done a test compile. It only takes a few minutes to compile on fast VRAD, so it will be fast to test changes I make.

One other thing is you can see into the vent under cells by looking through the water in the VIP cell vent. Kind of sucks to get domed through that.

The DFH vent has an obvious one way wall. Can you also remove the one way wall on top that allows cts to use the diving board to see them from above?

Also I'll try to make a list, but there are map exploits that allow you to see through quite a few textures. For example when you are entering vent in vip cell you can sit at the mesh of water and the vent entrance to see through several solid walls.

I'm not sure of a good way to fix this. I think this is a problem on any map where you can exit water horizontally. Think of the pool vents in texture and obama for example.

Take the away invisible walls around the pool,  I would love to have more super parkour jumps added with the removal of the walls also.

Those are staying. Rebelling is way too easy without those because there are a number of places you can land without dying, most notably the water in LR room.

The vent under VIP stairs no longer heals for some reason.

Did it ever? I'm not sure it needs to if it does.