Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darren

My first from-scratch build

LrV5n6n.jpg

This will be a pretty simple rig when done, but it's my first time actually building a PC, so wish me luck!

I'll post again when it's built.

Edit: Well, that wasn't too hard :)

ZE3Xb4c.jpg

How much did it cost(if i may ask)? Looks really nice! you sure your power supply can supply the GTX 950? Because my friend had problem with the power requirement.

All together was about 700 bucks. It's a 650w Power supply.

Edit: Aaaand, I got an incompatible power supply. Mobo requires at least a single 4-pin connector, and the power supply I got has two 8-pin connectors. FML

Edit2: Didn't initially realize that one of the connectors could be pulled apart into two 4-pin connectors. Derp.

How much did it cost(if i may ask)? Looks really nice! you sure your power supply can supply the GTX 950? Because my friend had problem with the power requirement.

the 950 only uses up to 90w lol

Edit: Aaaand, I got an incompatible power supply. Mobo requires at least a single 4-pin connector, and the power supply I got has two 8-pin connectors. FML

rip

For future reference, and for those looking to buy/build in the future. If you don't know much about computers/are worried about incompatibilities, use pcpartpicker(.com). It does a great job at filtering out incompatible results as you pick each part. 

One of the 8-pins is an EPS, the other is a CPU. You should be able to use 4 pins of the CPU connect to power it, but look online for which set of 4 (left or right) to use before doing so. GLWB

Should've made a post of the parts before buying them :P hope you get it fixed with not to much trouble

Seems as though you cheaped out on a lot of parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather buy a bunch of cheap parts to begin with and add on rather than go overboard and buy 3 Titans only to find it's not compatible with my mobo.

A quick tip Darren: Touch a piece of grounded metal before all work on your computer, whether it's powered or not. A buddy of mine made the mistake of accidentally shorting something in his motherboard and had to buy another one just because he was careless one time.

Oh and don't waste your money on RAM, just download more online ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Looks like a decent budget build. I wouldn't expect getting the best performance in new release titles however. I'd have gone with a 960, 960ti, or 970 if you were looking for price to performance.

I'd rather buy a bunch of cheap parts to begin with and add on rather than go overboard and buy 3 Titans only to find it's not compatible with my mobo.

A quick tip Darren: Touch a piece of grounded metal before all work on your computer, whether it's powered or not. A buddy of mine made the mistake of accidentally shorting something in his motherboard and had to buy another one just because he was careless one time.

The only way a motherboard wouldn't support 3 titans is if it doesn't have 3 PCI-E 3 16x slots available and (possibly if you're looking for this feature) SLI compatibility. On newer full-sized ATX motherboards it's very common to meet those requirements.

As a side note, almost every PCB design that enters the consumer market in a product is tested extensively for shock. This includes motherboards, graphics cards...etc. Only component I would be worried about that would be damaged extensively from shock is the CPU itself (on it's pins). I'm not saying you don't have to ground yourself periodically; however, you do not generally need to be as worried as most people are with consumer electronics. 

It is possible to short out a motherboard, but a shock would not cause this to happen. It's more likely a screw was left hanging around in the case or on the motherboard.

Buying cheap is honestly a waste of money, even if you don't have the money at the time it's better to save than to spend 1-200 on a lower end GPU, then 3-4 months later spend 500+. You just need to do your homework, or use a site (like I mentioned before) that filters out incompatibilities. 

Buying cheap is honestly a waste of money, even if you don't have the money at the time it's better to save than to spend 1-200 on a lower end GPU, then 3-4 months later spend 500+. You just need to do your homework, or use a site (like I mentioned before) that filters out incompatibilities.

Moose is right. It makes more sense to save longer for better parts. It saves you money in the end.

https://pcpartpicker.com/this site lets you build your computer and see if it is compatible or not, this is what i used to do my first build and so far i have no issues with it currently.

You will like your build, but after 3-4 years you will be looking to upgrade it.  And with lower end parts, you really have to start from scratch.  Anyways, don't mean to rain in on your happiness, as building a PC is one of the most fun things I've ever done. 

A good analogy(if you're older I guess) is buying a junker car then having to throw 1k away for repairs throughout its lifetime, eventually you'll only have enough money to buy another junker.

One of the 8-pins is an EPS, the other is a CPU. You should be able to use 4 pins of the CPU connect to power it, but look online for which set of 4 (left or right) to use before doing so. GLWB

Yeah, I went to bed last night believing I'd have to trade in the power supply, but turns out that it is compatible and that I'm a retard.