Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jodas

Match fixing bans are permanent

http://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2016/01/13442/

Every pro player who has done match fixing is permanently banned from all Valve sponsored events.

This means the Following players are banned:

Epsilon: Fxy0, GMX, Uzzziii, B1ggy

Some other polish guys: michi, matty, kub, bCk, DiAMon

source for this playerlist: http://www.hltv.org/news/14184-epsilon-and-ex-esc-get-valve-bans (another confirmation by a Valve employee that it isn´t just the IBP guys https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3zmjqu/slug/cynbkb8 )

And of course EX IBP: Steel, Dazed, Azk and Swag

Edit: Mistake on my part: ex-ESC players (minise - innocent - mouz - rallen - szpero) were also banned by CSGL and Valve, but they got unbanned, cause there were no proofs that they took a part in matchfixing

but swag wasn't mentally prepared to make the decisions he made!

he was peer pressured!

no na future no ::: :((((

but swag wasn't mentally prepared to make the decisions he made!

he was peer pressured!

no na future no ::: :((((

ahahaha

im sad for my boy dazed

#loyal

Why would people think they can get away with that stuff? RIP.

Because they would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids.

For real though, the only way they can actually get "caught" fixing a match is by admitting it. Whether it was to other people, and they come forward, or they feel guilty themselves. Valve has done a few things - the main thing being they restricted betting on their own matches, to help reduce the chance that there are people fixing matches. However, this is still impossible to stop. Someone could easily accept money, skins, etc. to under-perform on purpose, and just say they had a really bad day/game/they felt sick, etc.

Because they would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids.

For real though, the only way they can actually get "caught" fixing a match is by admitting it. Whether it was to other people, and they come forward, or they feel guilty themselves. Valve has done a few things - the main thing being they restricted betting on their own matches, to help reduce the chance that there are people fixing matches. However, this is still impossible to stop. Someone could easily accept money, skins, etc. to under-perform on purpose, and just say they had a really bad day/game/they felt sick, etc.

I guess that's true. It just seems stupid to risk your career for short term profit.

I guess that's true. It just seems stupid to risk your career for short term profit.

if you arent going to majors, or even coming close to being top 3

you arent gonna be making a whole lot of money in the first place, I'm not gonna justify the throw, but I do disagree with the ban length.

Most of these teams weren't even considered "tier 1", so they hardly had the chance to profit, or even make a "career" out of csgo.

also tbh shouldn't pose a problem for most of these teams like csgl

a y y L M AO

if you arent going to majors, or even coming close to being top 3

you arent gonna be making a whole lot of money in the first place, I'm not gonna justify the throw, but I do disagree with the ban length.

Most of these teams weren't even considered "tier 1", so they hardly had the chance to profit, or even make a "career" out of csgo.

also tbh shouldn't pose a problem for most of these teams like csgl

a y y L M AO

Mostly applies to IBP, like they could have gone places. Probably.

Mostly applies to IBP, like they could have gone places. Probably.

definitely

super disappointing that valve decided to permaban everyone

but at least skadoodle got away for free

Keepo

definitely

super disappointing that valve decided to permaban everyone

but at least skadoodle got away for free

Keepo

He lived to take Adderal another day.

When they threw they didn't know it would ruin their careers.

There wasn't an official ruling on throwing matches and at that point in time the only punishment they technically should have gotten was a ban from the CEVO league, but then valve came out and made an example out of them.

I didn't care whether or not the bans for throwing were permanent or not, I just wanted valve to clarify the length as I think it's pretty unfair to let people think there's a chance for them to be unbanned in the future when valve really never planned on unbanning them in the first place. 

The only players I cared about seeing unbanned were swag and Dazed, having them both on NA teams would drastically improve NA CS and would increase the amount of enjoyment I get out of watching CS.

Now these players are confirmed permanently banned it kind of gives me an idea of how 2016 will be for NA teams, it's a shame I would have loved to of seen an NA team make some EU people cry, I still have hope for liquid though.

I still think skadoodle and shahzam should have both been banned, they both had the same involvement everyone else did in the throw, yet for some reason were left off. I think consistency is key for valve when it comes to deciding who get's banned and I think they fucked up big time not banning those two.

I still think skadoodle and shahzam should have both been banned, they both had the same involvement everyone else did in the throw, yet for some reason were left off. I think consistency is key for valve when it comes to deciding who get's banned and I think they fucked up big time not banning those two.

Skadoodle got lucky in that he decided not to accept the skins, and thus not leave a paper trail for Valve to use as evidence for him being complicit in the throw. Of course, it's pretty obvious sense to anyone with common sense and was watching the game that Skadoodle was directly contributing to the throw. To people with common sense, because you cannot organize a rigged game if everyone on the team isn't aware that they're supposed to deliberately lose, because those people could actually end up winning the game and cost the riggers some serious cash. To the people watching the game, because of shit like this. He absolutely SHOULD have been penalized to some extent because yes, Skadoodle was blatantly throwing, but I'm willing to overlook it because he wasn't the ringleader who proposed the idea of throwing and then tried to encourage his teammates to doing so.

What I don't like though is how every single player on iBP received the same punishment of a permanent ban. This isn't even entirely about the fact that Swag wasn't even an adult at the time. It's the fact that it wasn't Swag and AZK who proposed the idea of throwing, nor were they trying to encourage their teammates into throwing alongside him. *CoughDaZeDandSteel* The fact that Swag got the same punishment as DaZeD, the guy who presented the idea of throwing to begin with and then publicly tried to shame the journalist who exposed the throw in the first place is absolutely absurd. Yeah, Swag and AZK were complicit, but they weren't the ringleaders.

Shahzam is a different story though. He didn't organize the throw, participate in it, and did nothing besides change his bet on a game he was told in advance was going to be rigged. Keeping his bet on a team that he knew was planning to throw is just simply a waste of his money and wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game at all. It just so happens he inadvertently profited as a result of it, which isn't a crime. Unlike the iBuyPower players, he had no legal obligation to stop the throw in advance and wasn't really in a position to do so. Even if he did report it to whatever authority, I doubt he would have been listened to at the time and the throw would have occurred regardless. The most criticize you can Shahzam for is not being a very open whistleblower up until the very end. Morally questionable behavior at best, but nothing seriously awful that warrants a ban.

A statement from Fxy0 regarding his ban: 

I don't understand.

When i've accepted my one year ban, Valve certified that my case would be reviewed in 2016 and a good conduct was appropriate.

I would like to be clear from the start, I do not contest what i have done but I am judged in the same for 100€ earned and 100'000$. Yes I am judged, banned for life, while no rules were in place.

I would have preferred to pay a 200% penalty to maintain my professionnal status.
Why should I wait a year to be ban for life. Did Valve actually take a year to decide ? I don't think, especially when penalties are the same regardless the situation or gains.

Not a long time ago, a judged asked for Karabatic ( famous French handballer ) a 10'000€ penalty and a three years probation when they've found a bet on a handball match. Did they give him a lifeban, kicked him from his club, his national team or even banned him from any high-level sport ? Not really.

We all hope that eSport will grow, so yes such behavior is intolerable but Valve can not be the judge and the jury. Especially when the decision is thoughtless. A non moral act commited in an emerging era which hasn't, in any wayn contradict the previously established rules must be questioned but can't be legally punished.

Do a premeditated murder lead to the same penalty as a self defense ? Death is the same for both case but everything depends on the given situation and what's around it.

If I go to the supermarket to steal a lollipop, I would not risk the same as a bank robbery right ?
The worst is that there was not even a debate, I didn't have the opportunity to explain my self during my ban. Even at the beginning of this year when my case was suppose to be reviewed, nobody from Valve contacted me.

I didn't say a word when they banned me for a year, after a 100€ earned via some skins. I've found this punishment correct and the act was intolerable but a few realize what a year is in a professional player's life who stacked everything on the eSport's dream.

It was a career mistake. It destroys all my years of investment in the eSsport. All these years, training hard to be able to compete with the best. All these years I played every game and I gave everythingg with honor, with only one desire, i didn't want to disapoint the community. All those years swept away in a second, is this fair ?

But I believe that I should have a second chance, especially in the current environement where EVERY organizers follow Valve's words. We are not talking about 4 majors only but every big events and my professionnal player's status.
Who can look me in the eye and tell me that he never did anything wrong ? I repeat, even murder do not cause perpetuity. Redemption is a reality, however powerful people decided to be our judge and jury, a revolution in the democracy's history !
I only ask a thing to Valve, do not judge me like a name among others. I would like to be judge compared to my actions and not in a lot, especially after my one year ban and no fault from myself.

To every organizers, I really think this sentence of one year is enough and I guess you do aswell. I do not know if you have to blindly follow what Valve says, but I assure you, I'm ready to give everything even if I should be suspended for any misconduct, I'm ready to accept it.

And you players, who love eSports, I can only ask for your support, whetever you are pro or would like to become one, WE are the first affected and I hope that, like me, you find my spell unfair.

Have a good night everyone, sorry for my english, it was quite difficult to translate everything. I just hope you'll all understand what i tried to explain here. xoxo

source: http://www.hltv.org/forum/1001572-fxyos-statement-regarding-the-life-ban

Fxy0 needs to accept his ban.  Valve had the right to make their decision, which they did.  Honestly, him thinking that he would get away with a short term ban was naive, and he needs to move on from it.  He threw a match for skins, and got what he deserved.  In the end, its just a game.  

I know that at least one of the IBP members is going to persue legal action. That match was ESEA and they did not have a match fixing rule at that time. (Known to the best of my knowledge). Also betting is not really associated that directly with value itself.

I know that at least one of the IBP members is going to persue legal action. That match was ESEA and they did not have a match fixing rule at that time. (Known to the best of my knowledge). Also betting is not really associated that directly with value itself.

Correct me if I am wrong but I dont think they can actually do anything against these bans. No matter what they say or what they do Valve won´t care.

Also trying to go to court won´t help since Valve is a company and pretty much all they did was to give all match fixers "a house ban". ( I am using the term house ban because Valve only banned them from Valve sponserd events)

Here is also a nice statement from David Sirlin regarding the bans: ( if you want to read it: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3zmn8s/back_in_december_i_asked_mr_sirlin_about_ibp_bans/?sort=confidence)

In short: tl;dr: match-fixing, even if not specified as a bannable offense, is the worst thing that can happen in a competition. Valve is within their limits to extend this mindset to events they personally didn't run, as that behavior they are punishing is toxic.

Legal action won't do anything to Valve. If someone really wants to fight it, they'd be stupid. Case aside, Valve will have lawyers that can crush any case a single player can afford to bring against them, resulting in probably having to pay all fees for both sides, and still being banned from events.

Looking at the specific case, Valve has the right to deny anyone from playing in their tournaments, regardless of their reasons. Obviously the eSport would die, if they were to say "Hey player-x, you're too good, we're not allowing you to come to our next event." but they could say it. When it's their event, they can say who is allowed in, and who isn't. You can't take someone to court because you weren't invited to their party. Same thing stands here, there's just an actual reason for them saying no.

The only issue here, is that the events Valve sponsors, are the most profitable. These players aren't banned from ESEA, CEVO, or any other specific league (at least to my knowledge). They're banned from the events that every organization strives to get invited to, and to win. They'll never pick up a player that cannot attend these events, and so their career is essentially over. If it were to go to court, I'd imagine it would go something similar to that, where players are still accepted to play in any of these leagues against other elite players, they just aren't welcome in THEIR events. 

That being said, I do think some of the bans are a little unjust. They're using them to send a message - hopefully it's loud and clear for future players. Fxyo is just stupid, in comparing things like murder to self defense, and his gain vs a much larger gain. Kid is only upset because he got caught, not because he thinks it was wrong. As for others like the ones on IBP, as JFK said, I think Dazed and Steel deserve it, if it was their plan, and they got the team in on it. As for the others, I think it's worth giving a shot at some point of letting them come back. Whether that should have been a year mark, or whenever, I can't say.