Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bulldog

New Phone, Need Opinions

I need some advice, sG!

I'm in the market for a new phone and have been looking for a while but nothing has really clicked with me until recently. I've narrowed it down to these two, the Nexus 6P and the Moto X Pure.

The reason it's these two are as follows:

• Relatively affordable for their stats (as far as I can tell)
  • Screen size
  • Battery
  • Design
  • Works on Verizon

I was trying to stay under $500 for the phone; but the only version of the Nexus under $500 is only 32GB, which I don't know how long will hold me over. I had a 16GB phone before this, with no expandable memory, that lasted about 2.5 years.

Below is a comparison of the two that I made quickly;

XsuSejJ.png

Today I learned that Motorola still makes phones.

Anyway, they both look the same, Motorola costs less for 64gb too but the Nexus has more newer material. As much as I regret it, I'm an Iphone user so I don't know much :^ )

It seems like the Nexus is better in performance, but comes at 100$ more than the MotoX. But, it also seems like the MotoX would fit almost any budget. I would personally go for the Nexus if I wasnt looking at prices. And, to be honest, I like how the Nexus looks a lot better than the MotoX.

Expandable memory trumps fancy features, in my opinion. I refused to buy a Samsung 6 because of the lack of expandable memory, same with the One Plus Two. I have an LG G4 that I absolutely love it. If I had to choose between the Nexus and the Motorola, I'd go with the Moto. 

imo nexus is way better in build quality, design, etc. you get updates first straight from google, you get a fingerprint scanner, and you get a camera that plays with the big boys (galaxy s6, iphone 6s)

I've had 16gb phones for the past 4ish years and I have a 32gb s6 now and I have no issues with storage space with all this free cloud storage I get.

Go with the Moto X Pure, grab a 32gb model and an SD card. It supports moving app data to the SD card, so onboard storage doesn't play as big a part as you'd expect, and from experience (more than anybody here can say, to be honest) the Moto is a much better option.

-No Camera Bump

-Customizable if you so choose

-Expandable Storage

-Best image sensor on the market, with optimizations coming through occasionally

-Crazy front camera w/ flash

-Pure android experience

-Faster than 99% of the population needs

-Cheaper

I have a 32GB s6 Edge and I personaly struggle with storage (damn spotify and furry)

There are few things I miss more than to be able to put in an atleast 64GB sd card ;_;

Go with the Moto X Pure, grab a 32gb model and an SD card. It supports moving app data to the SD card, so onboard storage doesn't play as big a part as you'd expect, and from experience (more than anybody here can say, to be honest) the Moto is a much better option.

-No Camera Bump

-Customizable if you so choose

-Expandable Storage

-Best image sensor on the market, with optimizations coming through occasionally

-Crazy front camera w/ flash

-Pure android experience

-Faster than 99% of the population needs

-Cheaper

To be fair, ive rectified all problems you state here by grabbing a stock ROM for my s6. A camera bump doesn't mean jack, the phone is still incredible and serves me surely.

You're also a bit late with the bandwagon because the 6P is definitely a way more quality phone than the Moto.

Am I the only one who uses their cell phone for texting/emailing/calling and thats it?

D:

Im still using the Iphone 4 lmfao, cracked phone and all because my damn siblings keep breaking their phones and im not paying for a new phone when my current one still works just fine.

Nexus IMO?

To be fair, ive rectified all problems you state here by grabbing a stock ROM for my s6. A camera bump doesn't mean jack, the phone is still incredible and serves me surely.

You're also a bit late with the bandwagon because the 6P is definitely a way more quality phone than the Moto.

camera bump was a selling point for me. The phones are so similar, it would be worth it to me. 

Both look like awesome phones and I don't think you could go wrong with either. Moto X is a tad cheaper, Nexus will always be the first to get Android updates. I'm fairly certain the build quality will be quite similar, given the prices(its not like a price tag is materialized out of thin air). I currently have a Moto X(first edition). It has been my favorite android product I've ever purchased, but I wouldn't pass up a Nexus if my carrier had it, just to see what all the hype is about(and im a google fan). 

Personally I don't use my phone for a lot like Howard, at this point the RAM and the CPU power aren't a real selling point for me. I have a Nexus 6 and I like it because it has great community support for rooting/unlocking so I can keep this phone for a long time as long as the hardware works. If you're not gonna root/unlock I'd still prefer Nexus 6 because it doesn't put a bunch of shit on the phone from the carrier, also they're really pushing out security updates for Android now and carriers take FOREVER to update their phones but you can get them right away with the Nexus.

Not gonna lie though, I'm still a sucker for removable battery and SD card.

So far this is the plan, come Monday (payday), if my paycheck is $700 or > it will be the Nexus; but if it's $699 or <, I'm gonna roll with the Moto. 

I think.

imo nexus is way better in build quality, design, etc. 

This is one of the biggest draws to the Nexus for me... just looking at it you get, "Damn. That's nice." feeling from it. 

camera bump was a selling point for me. 

Same here. I think it gives it personality; where is the Moto is just another candybar design. 

'm still a sucker for... SD card.

sd card trumps all

This is huge for me. While what sean said about cloud storage, which I do have a large amount of, would work and solve the issue of no SD card, pulling from the cloud absolutely kills me with data. Still on a shared plan with the fam, 15 gbs between five people and by the end of every month I'm struggling to stay under the cap.  

Google fi

Is this really worth it? Heard of it a few times but never looked into it, so after I googled it after seeing this post and got an instant invite for it. Not sure if that means anything or just a gimmick to make people feel special and purchase it. Is the reception good? Why would I switch from Verizon to fi? is this like Google Fiber where if it's available to you, but don't take it, you're crazy/an idiot? 

Is this really worth it? Heard of it a few times but never looked into it, so after I googled it after seeing this post and got an instant invite for it. Not sure if that means anything or just a gimmick to make people feel special and purchase it. Is the reception good? Why would I switch from Verizon to fi? is this like Google Fiber where if it's available to you, but don't take it, you're crazy/an idiot? 

Google fi would be your new carrier. The reception is based on the LTE bands of both tmobile and sprint. The price is pretty competitive unless you have unlimited through someone. It's available in the US only, nothing to do with google fiber. Is it worth it? IDK i've been with tmobile for ~5 yrs now and anywhere i haven't had service, people with sprint have. having both presumably means I would have much better coverage. You won't get the CDMA bands which provide much better coverage than gsm but i dont think it's intended for backwoods rural areas yet.   It also allows your calling/text to work via your PC which gives you some pretty neat capabilities. (leave your phonein the car? turn your laptop on. lost phone in the woods? Remote wipe it, take calls on your desktop, etc)  Also, even if you have 0 signal, EVERYTHING continues to work if you have wifi.

It also allows your calling/text to work via your PC which gives you some pretty neat capabilities. (leave your phonein the car? turn your laptop on. lost phone in the woods? Remote wipe it, take calls on your desktop, etc)  Also, even if you have 0 signal, EVERYTHING continues to work if you have wifi.

Didn't know that was a thing, almost tempting to do if I wasn't paying ~$20/month for my carrier (Ting)

it's a pretty solid plan if you're the "right" user.

eg: i have a tmob family plan. 101/mo for unlimited talk, text, data and 5G of tether data for 2 lines.

on average we use ~4G/month

so with google fi, our two lines for unl talk/text would be 40, if we take the remaining 60 that's 3G to each of us which is a little short. At this point I had to weigh more coverage vs less data (or more money)

if you're a light data user, heavy text/talker and/or have a lot of wifi coverage, google fi is hard to beat.

My phone has 500 mb spare max with nothing downloaded. Fuck you all with your gigs of extra.

better than my wife.. if i cleaned her shit off, she would fill it with pics and videos to upload to the NAS.. but never upload them.. then ask me why updates aren't working or why candy crush is crashing when she beats a level

I'd avoid the Huawei, I've had these phones in the past and they do really well for about six months then the software in them seems to implode. They become unasble in the sense that it will take you a good 5-10 seconds to loads anything, I know this doesn't sound like a lot, but compared to everything else it's horrendous for fast use.

I don't know much about the Motorolla but anything is better than the Huawei.

I'd avoid the Huawei, I've had these phones in the past and they do really well for about six months then the software in them seems to implode. They become unasble in the sense that it will take you a good 5-10 seconds to loads anything, I know this doesn't sound like a lot, but compared to everything else it's horrendous for fast use.

I don't know much about the Motorolla but anything is better than the Huawei.

dont listen to this mongrel. Huawei and Google worked together on this phone and the software is fully stuck AOSP from google.

Great build design etc

dont listen to this mongrel. Huawei and Google worked together on this phone and the software is fully stuck AOSP from google.

Great build design etc

Just saying mang, not the best phones in the past.

Just saying mang, not the best phones in the past.

Were these Huawei phones running Google's Android or running their own Android? Googles is just a stock OS version as opposed to say LG's/Samsung's OS. Reason I ask is I'm thinking of upgrading to the Nexus 6P next week.

MotoX sounds like the better one slap a fat sd card and it looks like it would poop on the other, plus all of the Motorola phones ice had are my favorite.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk