Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lv. 100 Garchomp

A link that will crash Chrome

Alright so, there's a method of crashing chrome/ chrome tabs going around. What happens is that if %%30%30 is in a link and you either click on it or put it into a browser, it'll crash the tab or crash chrome respectively. WARNING!!!! DON'T EVEN MOUSE OVER THE LINK FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR SURE IT DOESN'T AFFECT YOU OR IT HAS BEEN PATCHED (SOMEONE REPORTED THAT IT WORKS FOR OPERA, TOO)!!!

Don't believe me? Try this: http://a/%%30%30/

If it doesn't work, your browser isn't affected or it has been patched by the time you do it. It probably has been patched by now.

It does work. However, the way that sG has the website set up, the link doesn't crash chrome. It just gives a name resolve.

Yeah... Copy pasting the link crashes chrome...

The hyper link is set up as a/%2500/ so it does nothing. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal tbh :P

Yeah... Copy pasting the link crashes chrome...

The hyper link is set up as a/%2500/ so it does nothing. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal tbh :P

Trust me, on different sites or platforms it is an actual issue. For instance, the link on facepunch DOES crash the tab if you mouse over the link. The way this forum handles that link is a little bit safer.

Interesting.  I even tried editing your post to manually set the hyperlink to go to the proper place, but when you mouseover it just shows the %2500.

Dumb.

I can't create a bit.ly or goo.gl link with it either.  Goddamn it, how am I going to goad people into clicking it?

The way it crashes the browser is that it sees the %30 and when it decodes those into a character it reads it as 0. The fact that there is another % at the start means that when it passes it on to other things it after it passed the initial check it reads it as %00 which is [null] and causes a error and crash. I'm actually kinda surprised that wasn't found long ago it's such a simple bug. Also if the link doesn't crash you chances are it is because it it reads the first % as %25 which is the code for the % symbol. and it reads it as %2500