Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ironic

Laptop Suggestions?

As some of you may know I really don't have the best laptop at the moment. I currently have (and have had for the past few years) a Windows Gateway. Most of the time the Gateway can get the job done, but usually not in the fastest time and sometimes my laptop likes to freeze on me and give me the blue screen of death. Not to mention I can only play a limited amount of games on it without it having a lag fest.

So right now I am looking at trying to get a new laptop. I'm planning on saving up my money and probably buying one around Christmas time. What I'm looking for is a cheap yet good enough laptop. Under $1,000 dollars is what I'm looking for and it doesn't have to be a full on gaming laptop, I just want something that will get the job done and done well.

Any suggestions?

Here's my current laptop stats:

020af93aaed354b41ae2741df1b846a5.png

(Normally the Gateway only has 4GB of RAM, but my friends were kind enough to add 4 more for me one day at school)

Hate to bust your bubble but any laptop under a 1000$ is also going to be a lag fest on most games/playing all of them on low. Lenovo is alright I guess, ASUS and MSI are up there too. Laptops are kinda poopsack tho

Wait for the new AMD GPUs to get put into laptops (M300). That's your best bet. They won't be powerful, but they shouldn't generate too much heat.

You should be able to get away with something as high as the 380M without increasing the price too much.

I'd go for an i5.

I'll look around and see what I can find.

(I don't give a fuck about nvidia vs amd, it's all about price per performance)

This is what I found.

(I'd suggest the first one of these two)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8TK3563179

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318572

This would be an alternate nvidia suggestion.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232574

All this being said, I'd get a desktop, looking back, I wish I had gotten a desktop instead for college.

Buying a desktop and a cheap laptop isn't for everyone though.

I'm at work, maybe I'll look at other sites after I get home.

I had a budget of around 500 dollars and got a desktop that can run csgo, gmod, and a lot of other games. Like Joscal said I would invest in a desktop especially with that big of a budget you could get a great running desktop. Just kinda depends what you want.

I had a budget of around 500 dollars and got a desktop that can run csgo, gmod, and a lot of other games. Like Joscal said I would invest in a desktop especially with that big of a budget you could get a great running desktop. Just kinda depends what you want.

Thanks for the tip! I'm actually considering probably getting me a desktop instead now

Thanks for the tip! I'm actually considering probably getting me a desktop instead now

I would suggest waiting for one of the barebones bundles that has a gpu to pop up on sale.

If this is your first computer it would definitely help.

Just try to make sure of the following:

Make sure the PSU is at least bronze, and don't worry about getting a high end motherboard.

Almost every motherboard will do what you need for basic gaming.

My laptop was like 600 dollars 3 years ago and still runs cs go well and most games that aren't triple A titles. My brother bought one for 600 at best buy a few months ago and plays modded skyrim. I can ask him the name of it. Modern laptops can run most games that aren't considered hard to run decently well

I would suggest waiting for one of the barebones bundles that has a gpu to pop up on sale.

If this is your first computer it would definitely help.

Just try to make sure of the following:

Make sure the PSU is at least bronze, and don't worry about getting a high end motherboard.

Almost every motherboard will do what you need for basic gaming.

Alright thank you! Might end up doing that!

Alright thank you! Might end up doing that!

Add me on steam and I'll go over some stuff with you when I get out of work tonight so you can maximize what you get for your budget :D