Sign in to follow this  
Hazard

Bring crackhouse back

Everyone loves it. Everyone bitches about it. Everyone loves to bitch about it. It's the map everyone loves to hate. Because it's fun, in theory. It's fun as a map, with most races, with most people. But without fail every time it's played it devolves into a "fly outside the map with awps while other people sit on roof spamming chain lightning" fest.

We can't have crackhouse because people are dicks.

Didn't I reenable Westwood?

As for crackhouse, as others have said, it is not universally loved. It's probably the most divisive map, in fact. We still bring it back from time to time for fun.

What are the pros and cons of crackhouse?

Some people like the "defend the house" aspect of it. Akin to cs_assault, t's are secluded to one section of the map and cts surround it. It's decently t sided in comp, but war3 is a gamechanger. Most of the hate is from people not using their heads by not utilizing tactical grenades and dying from it -- I've yet to see any ct smoke any doorways off to gain entry to the house. Others just don't know angles of windows and die easily from the snipers from outside the house.

If you actually use your head, I think it's a great map to play on. Normally the correct play in a defend the house situation is just that -- defend it; see cs_office in comp for example, it's heavily t sided. War3 gives ts the opportunity to make other plays -- you can mole out and be sneaky, you can teleport out in a variety of ways, some races are invisible and sneaky enough to simply jump right out of the window/roof and get spooky picks. Cts get the same thing, half the windows are normally inaccessible but war3 makes all of them entry points.

I'd say most of the hate comes from dying to the snipers and not knowing what to do about it. In any crackhouse map, there's always at least three different battles going on: the groundfloor, snipers on either teams versus eachother, and the players who teleport to the roofs -- sometimes the last two are the same thing. The rest of the battle is just a flurry of knives and entry frags.The match of the map will flow accordingly to whichever team has better roof control and sniper control: you can't really enter the house if a sniper on the roof behind you picks you off.

It and cs_assault are great maps and I've seen arguments for both of them being t or ct sided a million times. Most of it is ignorance of utilizing everything they have at their disposals, as well as teamplay (if a team doesn't have anyone playing roofs, noone takes up the mantle and secures it).

spooky picks.

One of my major beefs is that we have to have custom rules on the map.

"You can't carry the hostages out of the window"

It is a rule that makes perfect since... given the fact that the hostage is 5 feet away from the ct capture point. Problem is, why is it that close? Why not make it so the map doesn't need individual rules?

Also, the house is way too tight. Roofs need to be a solid ~16 units higher IMO (this might help reduce suicide bomb problems but probably not), building needs to be bigger, and T's need to spawn more spread out. Windows on the 2nd floor need to be barred so that T's/CT's can't jump in/out but they can throw grenades through them. Need at least 1 more roof access entrance. Need more shit on the roofs to reduce sniper angles -- my same beef with speedcastle. If the wall had less of the dips in it where a player can sit, it would be a lot easier for people to find the 65% invis guy with an awp. Same thing with crackhouse, it is completely open outside so there is 10000 places someone could be on the roof if you peek out of a window.

The suicide races is what makes people rage, I'm not sure how suicide explosions work because you can kill people from above/below you. Ideally suicide explosions would just be a for lack of a better term a radius around the person that is 1 pixel in height so it only kills people on the same level as you but I don't know if that's possible.

Also Orc nades, they're rage inducers. I think the extended crack house is about as good of compromise that we got. 

Still don't understand why it was completely removed from rotation, it only comes around once every blue moon (due to admin "abuse").

The suicide races is what makes people rage, I'm not sure how suicide explosions work because you can kill people from above/below you. Ideally suicide explosions would just be a for lack of a better term a radius around the person that is 1 pixel in height so it only kills people on the same level as you but I don't know if that's possible.

Also Orc nades, they're rage inducers. I think the extended crack house is about as good of compromise that we got. 

Still don't understand why it was completely removed from rotation, it only comes around once every blue moon (due to admin "abuse").

The easiest way to "fix" suicide (imo) is to require line of sight for suicide to deal damage (but increase radius of all suicides by ~10% to make up for the inherent nerf).

Suicide checks in a radius around the player (like a sphere) and has no regards for line of sight. I could be wrong, but making suicide only hit on the same level (while still going through walls), while possible, is probably harder to do than it sounds.

Even with the increase in pathways and size from the source version of the map, when there is more than 10-15 people on the server the map feels way too small. It is fun in spurts but like a lot of maps on the server i doubt it would see much play time.