Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sleek

Coding?

Easier than C++ IMO. When I learned about handlers for the first time in college I almost had an aneurysm.

still doesn't excuse the fact that you really aren't learning what programming is actually doing to the computer if you decide to start with java. I recommended C because, although stricter in syntax and harder to master, it teaches you memory management and efficiency in coding - something that java, python, and some other beginner languages lack. In python, you can get away with shitty, unorganized code and it carries over as you learn other languages. If you don't know what your program is doing at the machine level, then I honestly think you should not be learning tougher languages.

I'm 100% with blinboi on this one.

still doesn't excuse the fact that you really aren't learning what programming is actually doing to the computer if you decide to start with java. I recommended C because, although stricter in syntax and harder to master, it teaches you memory management and efficiency in coding - something that java, python, and some other beginner languages lack. In python, you can get away with shitty, unorganized code and it carries over as you learn other languages. If you don't know what your program is doing at the machine level, then I honestly think you should not be learning tougher languages.

I mean, you're not going to be affecting memory usage in a programming language like Java. Introductory courses in C++ will teach you to make your program efficient through memory management, so I don't see your point.

I mean, you're not going to be affecting memory usage in a programming language like Java. Introductory courses in C++ will teach you to make your program efficient through memory management, so I don't see your point.

I might have been unclear. I understand you won't even be working at all with hardware with Java. My point is that you should work from the ground up, and starting with java isn't what I would call an ideal foundation for someone learning to program. C introduces you to these concepts much easier even though it is a language that can get really complicated really fast.

p.s. Fuck Handlers man

In python, you can get away with shitty, unorganized code and it carries over as you learn other languages. If you don't know what your program is doing at the machine level, then I honestly think you should not be learning tougher languages.

I was under the impression that people used Python for "quick, dirty, and easy" solutions. I haven't seen someone use Python as a beginner's language at all, in academia or otherwise...

Don't want to make another thread so il just ask In here.<br /><br />I want to get into coding and start learning it. which language is the easiest to learn or fun to have knowledge of?

BYOB

I recommend a kind of flip flop approach. Learn just basic C with no frills. Just simple stuff so you learn about variables, basic types, arrays, scope, functions, etc. The "simple stuff" you need to know. Then switch to C++ or Java to learn about object oriented programming and data structures, . Then take a trip back on memory lane to C again but this time you will learn the hard stuff which I guess you could technically do in C++ but there are too many easy alternatives which may stray you from your path of learning the ins and outs. You need to strip that all away and get down to the hardcore nitty gritty stuff on how your code interacts with the OS and hardware. Part of that will be learning some assembly. Now unless it would make sense for your career path I don't think is is necessary to completely learn assembly but knowing a little bit and how to "step" through your program is useful knowledge. 

Not to be that guy, but this is nothing like the people in this thread. No one in this thread has claimed superiority over someone attempting to learn a programming language. Most of us encourage others to try it and, so far, none of us have said "YOU'RE A SCUMBAG IF YOU DON'T USE VIM, DIE YOU FILTHY CASUAL". We are simply discussing what are some good ways to begin learning a programming language.

Besides that, I do think people are dicks if they don't let beginners figure out what works for them. Sometimes I notice it's your stereotypical nerd or that autistic kid in the corner who tells you that using an IDE is for shit programmers.

Filthy casuals using IDEs

I know man. Here I am being a baller-as-fuck programmer using notepad and all these newfags are using there fancy IDE's with "Syntax highlighting". What the fuck is that all about?

C/C++, python, html, javascript, php, and some other crap.

As far as starting out you'll get plenty of opinions. I'd agree with the C/C++ route. I like C++, and it's what my school mainly focuses on to get any type of programming degree. For the first year and a half that's pretty much all they taught, and then we moved on to some other stuff (java, web stuff etc).

Anyways, you're going to get tons of differing opinions on what is best to start. So it's really just up to you if you're not taking any classes or anything. If you do decide to start learning and you're taking it seriously I'm sure many of the people that posted here would be willing to help you out when you get stuck. Just a word of advice though, take the time to figure it out yourself, or get small hints and not solutions. The biggest part of programming is problem solving, and if you're going into a programming career it'll be your most important skill.

Now if you want to be better than anyone on these forums I suggest you learn lolcode.

I heard about this class that is out of school that will be teaching how to code some java through the use of minecraft mods.

I am probably going to take it

I made a mod like two years ago, but it was nothing more than extra crafting recipes to satisfy my wool -> string and string -> wool desire.

learning html right now. i might call on some of you to help me with my final project. my site is so broken......

I suggest using http://www.w3schools.com/

for some basic tutorials and even just to look up the html tag list and see what they do. This site can be used to help learn some other stuff like javascript, jquery and php.

Edit:

Sort of a general rule when it comes to anything dealing with learning. If you have a drive or interest to do it, you will learn it well. For example, maybe 10 years ago now I did map making for a RTS game I had played. I created a tower wars game basically, it was quite popular, so popular that I quit playing and came back to the game after a year or so and I still saw people playing my map... modified to make it easier but they were still playing it. Before I quit I was doing a lot of script coding with .ini files which in reality I had no idea what i was doing but it was learning how it worked just by trial and error and looking up other people's codes to use as examples.

In the case of website design, if I see a website that I love the design of it I will open up my web development plugin for my browser aka firebug to take a look at it. Most modern browsers have this feature without the plugin, I like the layout of it and I learned how to use it first.

learning html right now. i might call on some of you to help me with my final project. my site is so broken......

Where the fuck were you when I made that thread offering help with CSS and HTML with the free course? It's honestly the best html resource I've ever used.

http://www.joinsg.net/topic/63518-for-those-interested-in-html-and-css-free-lifetime-giveaway/

Where the fuck were you when I made that thread offering help with CSS and HTML with the free course? It's honestly the best html resource I've ever used.

http://www.joinsg.net/topic/63518-for-those-interested-in-html-and-css-free-lifetime-giveaway/

honestly, its just a requirement for my major and I don't mind having some coding knowledge but I'm really just trying to pass the class for now and get it over with. 

I was under the impression that people used Python for "quick, dirty, and easy" solutions. I haven't seen someone use Python as a beginner's language at all, in academia or otherwise...

My school does python as the intro class. It's what I learned first. I liked it, but it fucks with learning java/C imo

also html isn't a coding language

Not to be that guy, but this is nothing like the people in this thread. No one in this thread has claimed superiority over someone attempting to learn a programming language. Most of us encourage others to try it and, so far, none of us have said "YOU'RE A SCUMBAG IF YOU DON'T USE VIM, DIE YOU FILTHY CASUAL". We are simply discussing what are some good ways to begin learning a programming language.

Besides that, I do think people are dicks if they don't let beginners figure out what works for them. Sometimes I notice it's your stereotypical nerd or that autistic kid in the corner who tells you that using an IDE is for shit programmers.

You're wrong hornycat... i did indeed say some pretty accurate things to ctark about not using VIM. i code my html, powershell, bash, c, and even cobol in vim. get on my level you nasty IDE using whores. 

Sent with love, 

driz

P.S. fuck nano and pico users (and all windows users)

@josh what if your html code has asp.net with c# code behind? then is it programmatic?