Sign in to follow this  
Daft2thePunk

Scooter help

So I recently bought a ATM50-A1 taotao 50cc scooter and i tested it driving around my neighborhood yesterday and everything went smooth. However today as i decided to use it and drive over to my friends house. I come up to a red light and suddenly as soon as i stop the engine cuts off. I just started it up again knowing somethings wrong but i was only a small block away and this time the engine cut off in the middle of a turn while im not turning the accelerator, im not used to scooters/motorcycles and i would like to own one in the near future, but because of this i panic'd hit the breaks and got into a accident (sprained leg, slid under an SUV and got alot of scrapes and burns on myself) surprisingly the scooter only received a few scratches. 

Anyways to the point, I've been trying to Google why it would do this but haven't been able to find anything solid on the situation. 
Next hope was to come to sG and see if anyone could help me here before i go to a mechanic.

demon you are so wrong

most scooters dont have gears or clutches. they have torque converters.

meaning that the only thing that would kill it is a bad torque converter. 

Sounds like your carb needs cleaned or a decent tune up.

Check your air filter first, then move on to inspecting the carb for mild clogging or dirt.

Edited by Skotti

demon you are so wrong

most scooters dont have gears or clutches. they have torque converters.

meaning that the only thing that would kill it is a bad torque converter. 

Sounds like your carb needs cleaned or a decent tune up.

Check your air filter first, then move on to inspecting the carb for mild clogging or dirt.

WELL FUCK, I'm no good for scooters :(

Skotti is correct. But if you have no idea what you are doing, and are unfamiliar with how engines work, start learning. http://www.youtube.com

Either that, or your best bet is to find someone who knows what they are doing near you and watch them closely and most importantly, ask questions.

Edited by Professional Velo