Sign in to follow this  
Siesan

The Big Difference between windows 7 and Windows 8

I remember when 16mb was a lot of memory.

except it still didnt matter because of upper memory :( memmaker for the win.

actually, during the windows 3.1x days, i was using slackware linux and playing doom with its masterful? graphics  but dos 6.22 was trash :(

iomega zip drives and 33.6 modems... ahh

to the op though, i think windows 8 and 7 look the same (if you disable metro) but the major difference is the speed.

Fast Startup (aka: hybrid boot or hybrid Shutdown) is a new feature in Windows 8 to help your PC start up faster after shutting down. When turned on, Windows 8 does this by using a hybrid shutdown (a partial hibernate) method that saves only the kernal session and device drivers (system information) to the hibernate (hiberfil.sys) file on disk instead of closing it when you shut down your PC. This also makes the hiberfil.sys file to be much smaller than what hibernate would use (often 4GB or more). When you start your PC again, Windows 8 uses that saved system information to resume your system instead of having to do a cold boot to fully restart it. Using this technique with boot gives a significant advantage for boot times, since reading the hiberfile in and reinitializing drivers is much faster on most systems (30-70% faster on most systems tested). If you have a motherboard with UEFI, then fast startup will be even faster.

with a ssd and windows 8, it's actually physically impossible to hit the keyboard combo for safe mode quick enough to get into it.

Yes, that headline says exactly what you think. We know faster boot times are one of the key goals for Windows 8 (and early testing suggests that goal is being met). So much so that, as Microsoft puts it: “Windows 8 has a problem – it really can boot up too quickly.”

We’ve already discussed one potential problem with a super-fast boot time on Windows 8: it can be hard to access BIOS settings using function keys if there’s no pause before Windows starts loading. Windows 8 is handling that issue by letting you change the boot drive inside Windows itself. Given that one of the most common BIOS alterations is changing the boot drive, that’s a useful start.

so to everyone who has always hated on windows 8 in here. from a linux guy, i say, im sorry that windows 8 is too fast for you scrubs.

except it still didnt matter because of upper memory :( memmaker for the win.

actually, during the windows 3.1x days, i was using slackware linux and playing doom with its masterful? graphics  but dos 6.22 was trash :(

iomega zip drives and 33.6 modems... ahh

to the op though, i think windows 8 and 7 look the same (if you disable metro) but the major difference is the speed.

with a ssd and windows 8, it's actually physically impossible to hit the keyboard combo for safe mode quick enough to get into it.

so to everyone who has always hated on windows 8 in here. from a linux guy, i say, im sorry that windows 8 is too fast for you scrubs.

Keep in mind that most of the world doesnt get this shit for free and other than this 10% bootup increase there is literally no reason why i should pick up win8 over another ssd

atleast vista had dx10 , I dont think they would be able to get away with pulling that one again

Edited by Carl Sagan

Keep in mind that most of the world doesnt get this shit for free and other than this 10% bootup increase there is literally no reason why i should pick up win8 over another ssD or other upgrades

atleast vista had dx10 :\

Did you just call win8 an ssd

straight from a VET, windows 8 is so fast, users confuse it with being an SSD!

as a side note, for the first 4 months of windows 8's release, anyone in the world could purchase it for 29.95 from microsoft's website.

so.. 10% boot speed increase.. 30bucks? yah.. worth it.

of course there are quite a few other nice things in windows 8. anyconnect. better ipv6 support, better nfs support, etc.

what the hell are you guys talking about

i was comparing the cost of win8 to any upgrade of the same price, including a second/third/fourth ssd

microsoft will release win9 in a year anyway, ill wait

windows 8 was 29.95, which ssd's cost that much? 

you SHOULD have bought it when it was worth the price :P early adoption has it's perks :D

we'll get windows 8.1 u 1 and windows 8.2 before we ever see threshhold. what's surprising is i dont see an alpha on msdn for it.

10% of 5 seconds is still negligible

microsoft NEEDS us to buy a os every couple of years because they like money- dont blame them

dont get me wrong if you had the choice between 7 and 8 you would have to be really dumb to blindly stick with 7 because UI SUX

Edited by Carl Sagan

10% of 5 seconds is still negligible

microsoft NEEDS us to buy a os every couple of years because they like money- dont blame them

dont get me wrong if you had the choice between 7 and 8 you would have to be really dumb to blindly stick with 7 because UI SUX

windows 7 on an ssd does not boot in 5 seconds. and if you say it does, i say video or it's bs.

windows 8 DOES boot in 5 seconds

to the ui.. i think metro is the most horrible thing i've ever seen, and sadly, threshold is continuing it. luckily, you can disable metro and have the normal ui of xp/vista/2k/or 7

i bought windows 8 for 15 dollars back when you could trick the system into thinking you purchased win7 after a certain date. i like to think that this was a bargain for a quite noticeable speed increase. I'm still not a fan of metro, but It's not really an issue when you just boot to desktop.