Sign in to follow this  
MrCoolness

Invisible textures & War3

So I've heard some dispute about what defines an illegal part of the map when it comes to invisible textures. Now I understand in some scenarios it might be hard to understand what is legal to do and what is illegal to do, but the general rule is the following:

If you are in a spot, whether you're standing there or flying there, and you can see through a texture that gives you any sort of advantage over the opposing team, then you are indeed in an illegal spot.

Also, if you are flying outside the map, whether you can see through textures or not, you need to get back inside the map. This applies to maps like Italy where on the left side of ct spawn you can fly outside the map past the stairs; this is called being out of the intended map boundaries and it is illegal.

Sometimes there will be dispute over what is an illegal spot, for example some people argue that in de_dust, inside the little dome flying above is illegal; this in fact is not illegal because the only advantage you have is the surprise on your enemy (its like another corner you're hiding behind). But the spot in the dome in the corner where you're standing on an invisible texture and half your body can't be hit... that is illegal.

So how do you know a spot is illegal? Follow these simple rules:

1) Are you in a spot you can normally get to? If you're not, next step!

2) Are you standing on or can see any invisible textures? Probably illegal, next step!

3) Is the invisible texture you're standing on or looking through going to give you an advantage over the enemy? If yes, get out! If not, next step.

4) Are you outside the intended map boundaries? If yes, you're in an illegal spot, if no you're safe and enjoy!

So rules rules rules... why make up these rules? I mean the map was made with those places put there so we should be able to go there right?

NOPE!

Most of the maps on our server were not made with a warcraft mod in mind. The map maker(s) didn't think you'd be able to fly up high or hook over to some weird spot behind a texture or invisible wall... The maps were designed for the most part for regular play, with normal jump height and no flying; so they took advantage of being able to save file size by trimming the unnecessary pieces out that you normally wouldn't even know were gone.

Please if you have any questions about invisible textures, or want to add something to my original post that I've missed please post and the wonderful staff here at sG will do our best.

P.S. do not try to cut corners and ask a bunch of different admins what the rule is until you get an answer you like; if you need to know a rule please refer to the MOTD or only ask War3 SO's, Engineers and Eddy.

Thank you

So I've heard some dispute about what defines an illegal part of the map when it comes to invisible textures. Now I understand in some scenarios it might be hard to understand what is legal to do and what is illegal to do, but the general rule is the following:

If you are in a spot, whether you're standing there or flying there, and you can see through a texture that gives you any sort of advantage over the opposing team, then you are indeed in an illegal spot.

Also, if you are flying outside the map, whether you can see through textures or not, you need to get back inside the map. This applies to maps like Italy where on the left side of ct spawn you can fly outside the map past the stairs; this is called being out of the intended map boundaries and it is illegal.

Sometimes there will be dispute over what is an illegal spot, for example some people argue that in de_dust, inside the little dome flying above is illegal; this in fact is not illegal because the only advantage you have is the surprise on your enemy (its like another corner you're hiding behind). But the spot in the dome in the corner where you're standing on an invisible texture and half your body can't be hit... that is illegal.

So how do you know a spot is illegal? Follow these simple rules:

1) Are you in a spot you can normally get to? If you're not, next step!

2) Are you standing on or can see any invisible textures? Probably illegal, next step!

3) Is the invisible texture you're standing on or looking through going to give you an advantage over the enemy? If yes, get out! If not, next step.

4) Are you outside the intended map boundaries? If yes, you're in an illegal spot, if no you're safe and enjoy!

So rules rules rules... why make up these rules? I mean the map was made with those places put there so we should be able to go there right?

NOPE!

Most of the maps on our server were not made with a warcraft mod in mind. The map maker(s) didn't think you'd be able to fly up high or hook over to some weird spot behind a texture or invisible wall... The maps were designed for the most part for regular play, with normal jump height and no flying; so they took advantage of being able to save file size by trimming the unnecessary pieces out that you normally wouldn't even know were gone.

Please if you have any questions about invisible textures, or want to add something to my original post that I've missed please post and the wonderful staff here at sG will do our best.

P.S. do not try to cut corners and ask a bunch of different admins what the rule is until you get an answer you like; if you need to know a rule please refer to the MOTD or only ask War3 SO's, Engineers and Eddy.

Thank you

there's no escaping the bowlcut

So with that logic the top of the cs_compound house is illegal cause you can see through the railing?

Do you mean above T spawn? If so, there is no railing around there anymore, the valves on the roof are illegal as you can hide in them and not been seen whilst still being able to shoot.

If you didn't mean this building then I apologize and please disregard what I said. 

Do you mean above T spawn? If so, there is no railing around there anymore, the valves on the roof are illegal as you can hide in them and not been seen whilst still being able to shoot.

If you didn't mean this building then I apologize and please disregard what I said. 

Isn't there? Since the version we have on war3 is the CSS port??? And the hosties are error signs also?

Isn't there? Since the version we have on war3 is the CSS port??? And the hosties are error signs also?

Not that I've seen, I've looked from ground level and up top and I can't see any. The rooftop is different to the cs:s version though. 

It's funny because War3 SO's and eddy were arguing about this

So with that logic the top of the cs_compound house is illegal cause you can see through the railing?

This is true and what makes our rule look silly in the cases where one tiny invisible texture ruins a perfectly good spot. The entirety of the t roof in cs_compound is surrounded by a mini-wall of invisible texture -- you have to jump on top of it in order to walk off the roof. It provides absolutely 0 advantage while making the roof technically an illegal spot. I personally think it's a very valid spot to be in.

This is true and what makes our rule look silly in the cases where one tiny invisible texture ruins a perfectly good spot. The entirety of the t roof in cs_compound is surrounded by a mini-wall of invisible texture -- you have to jump on top of it in order to walk off the roof. It provides absolutely 0 advantage while making the roof technically an illegal spot. I personally think it's a very valid spot to be in.

If it doesn't provide an unfair advantage than it's allowed....

"If you are in a spot, whether you're standing there or flying there, and you can see through a texture that gives you any sort of advantage over the opposing team, then you are indeed in an illegal spot." -taken from coolness's post.

Just because you can see an invisible texture doesn't always mean it's an illegal spot, as long as it doesn't provide an unfair advantage the spot should be fine.

I think people just need to calm the fuck down about this stuff

Every time I tell somebody on War3 they're in an illegal spot/breaking a rule, I get lip like I've just sentenced them to death. People react so badly to being told not to do something, it's a little disgusting.

Every time I tell somebody on War3 they're in an illegal spot/breaking a rule, I get lip like I've just sentenced them to death. People react so badly to being told not to do something, it's a little disgusting.

Welcome to the internet! 

If they give you lip, remind them you're the server officer and you are there to enforce the law of the server and create a fair environment for everyone.

You may use the following quote to persuade them:

"respect my authoritah"