Sign in to follow this  
yeet

Good first car?

What is your price range? For your first car I would say a 98 civic not to expensive and pretty reliable. Also cheap to fix and easy to tune

You shouldn't be looking for a specific car, there's a wide range of "good" cars, and when looking make sure it fits your individual need and what you plan on doing with it. You're probably better off getting a pre-owned car since they're usually cheaper. Depending on your price range you can go anywhere from 2013 to the dark ages but I suggest you get somewhere around 05-07(personal preference). Go look at a few used car dealerships near you and just compare prices,quality, etc. that you see at each one.

Edited by Oreo

You could literally google "good first car" and see 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 pages and most of them come to the conclusion of a mid 90's import. 

they are cheap to buy, cheap to fix, and cheap to drive. even a honda vtec can be somewhat fast. 

go that route. don't buy european as they will be nothing but a money pit.

Nissan versa's are pretty cheap and good for being made within the past few years.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Dude, I love you and all, and this car has such a great feel to it's steering and handling, but no. It's such a cheap car and not in the "Honda Civic is cheap and super easy to repair" kind of way. The bad cheap with plastic everywhere. I got some experience with this car and it's not that good. Sure it has great mpg and it's roomy as hell, but it's just not the best option for a first car, in my opinion. Plus, it's ugly as hell. I'd rather be called a "tuner kid" on a Subaru WRX than be caught driving in a Nissan Versa.

Edited by HornyCat

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Dude, I love you and all, and this car has such a great feel to it's steering and handling, but no. It's such a cheap car and not in the "Honda Civic is cheap and super easy to repair" kind of way. The bad cheap with plastic everywhere. I got some experience with this car and it's not that good. Sure it has great mpg and it's roomy as hell, but it's just not the best option for a first car, in my opinion. Plus, it's ugly as hell. I'd rather be called a "tuner kid" on a Subaru WRX than be caught driving in a Nissan Versa.

sometimes practicality is better than the look. 

thats why you see wealthy people driving reasonable cars instead of Land Rovers, Mercedes and so on.

sometimes practicality is better than the look. 

thats why you see wealthy people driving reasonable cars instead of Land Rovers, Mercedes and so on.

Wealthy people drive reasonable cars because nobody in their right mind would drive a lamborghini gallardo fitted with a tighter than tight suspension everyday, which is sadly true for most sports cars. I look at Mercedes and Land Rovers as reasonable; they look good and are practical for the everyday commuter. It all depends on the models we are talking about, but I understand where you are coming from and while practicality and look are not mutually exclusive, one is often sacrificed to improve the other.

If demon could give me specifics on what he wants to do with it, I can help him out a little. Does he want to buy a 1 grand 1997 honda civic and go to town on it or just use a car for daily life with good mpg? Do you live in a hilly and mountainous region where suspension and comfortability matters or do you live in a populated urban area? What's your budget for the car?

Edited by HornyCat

My first car was a '97 Mustang. Still driving it. I can honestly say it's been quite reliable, outside of changing the headlights, wipers and tires I've barely had any necessary maintenance. It may be a bitch on gas in the city but, on the flip-side, highway driving is a dream.

my Subaru is a really good and reliable car. seats 4, has plenty of power, turbo charged, and has a huge wing so you don't take off into space.

need one in the front too cause awd dood

Buy a used car for a couple grand. No need to get into monthly payment plans or what not if you're using it mainly for point A to point B and back type trips. 

My first (and current) car is on '04 Tiburon... Only issue i've had was a hole in the front exhaust which just happened recently. 

Depending on your budget just stick to something reliable with good gas mileage.