Sign in to follow this  
Mitch

what a difference 8 years makes

2l6YS.jpg

This graph, although not completely accurate, does illustrate that the faggotry caused by atheism did in fact lead to a gigantic amount of dick gobbling.

But really. You're retarded if you're trying to use that graph to illustrate anything.

Lmao; pure flaming, and not even the slightest bit witty or clever. I'm disappointed, duRg.

All you do is run your mouth, and have contributed absolutely nothing here. How about you let the big boys talk? -I think you've embarrassed yourself enough for one thread.

I'm beginning to see what Junzou what saying.

Calm down sweetie, I only wanted to illustrate the retardness of the graph. I still love you.

Also lol, no I don't plan on contributing to this thread. You guys are researching history here. I'm too lazy for that.

Calm down sweetie, I only wanted to illustrate the retardness of the graph. I still love you.

Also lol, no I don't plan on contributing to this thread. You guys are researching history here. I'm too lazy for that.

The problem is that, like you said, you're not willing to do any research. And in order to make a valid comment in this case, you need to have knowledge of history. I really want you to prove the "retardness of the graph", but you're not willing to do so, so it renders any opinion you have on the subject null. Calling something retarded and then not having anything to back it up with just doesn't fly with me, man.

I love you too, but sometimes, man... sometimes... smh

:wub:

Right, right, right. I get what you're saying, but give me an example of how this has significantly affected you, other than making you mad :)

I can give an example of why I hate most religions...

When I was younger, around 15 or 16, I was arrested and taken to jail by the preacher up the road for not going to Sunday School to "teach me a lesson" of what happens to teenagers without religion.

(My parents had no idea and were not in on this)

Ever since my parents have respected me and understood in why I choose to not follow any religion.

I have had other encounters but I do not feel that I should say anything else.

Other than that I am fine with people believing in what they want but I just have a small part on the inside that just cringes every time someone talks about the pope. I will respect their opinion but I never want to comment on it.

The whole, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it" part of me.

Also I know this is late but I felt like typing that out.... Sue me.

EDIT: forgot a word

Edited by Detective Nom Noms

It's interesting that you bring up Theodosius making Christianity the official state religion as a negative towards the Roman Empire's success. I was taught that it had the opposite effect, and so I worry that we might be getting our information from different sources, and as a result this could just turn into us repeating what we were told by others, claiming that each of our own sources are more credible than the others. I guess we'll just have to continue with that risk though.

Christianity wasn't very suddenly thrust upon the Roman Empire by Theodosius, confusing and angering the general population. Prior to 380 when he declared Christianity to be the state religion it had been legalized under Constantine in 313. By this time it had been gaining steam and was becoming an increasingly popular and common belief. The reason that Theodosius made it the state religion was actually to strengthen the empire, not throw it further into decay. At the time there were numerous competing "cults", all of which were causing division. Not everyone worshiped the exact same pagan gods. In an effort to pull everyone together Theodosius banned all of the smaller cults and religious practices in favor of the current largest one, in the hopes of preserving the empire. Therefore, you could say that Christianity in fact helped to keep Rome around for longer, greatly aiding in progress. I don't know about temples being great houses of learning, or Christians destroying everything in them. It seems more likely that they would just convert the temples to Christian churches. I also have doubts that there was a great deal of scientific knowledge lost from the destruction of pagan temples. If Christianity truly had an effect as largely negative as that on the Roman Empire it seems like it would be something mentioned more often. It's not like any punches are pulled towards Christianity.

I know for certain that you're wrong about schools not being established till the 11th century. Charlemagne lived from 742-842, and he was a grand proponent of setting up religious education to as many places as he could. Furthermore, I'm quite certain that monasteries were around far before the 11th century, considering that St Benedict laid out the codes for what exactly monasteries ought to be in 529. Did everyone just ignore him for centuries? These monasteries that had been around for hundred years, according to "http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/medieval-monastery.htm" gave education to priests as well as any boy who intended to lead an active academic life as well as copying and preserving manuscripts. These manuscripts were often the classics of antiquity, such as Homer and Aristotle as you said. You seem to contradict yourself when you say that the only things that the church had were Greek/Roman philosophers in the middle ages, but then in the Renaissance people started to discover Roman/Greek philosophers, thus leading to a change in European thinking. The classical philosophers of antiquity had been used for many centuries as educational tools, so it seems unremarkable that the church would continue to use them.

When I said that they would teach about whatever, I meant it as in "they would teach about whatever they taught about". You're right, they taught a lot of theology, which you believe is a bad thing. But in addition, they taught many classical texts from the Romans and Greeks as well as the ability to read and write. I don't understand why you consider this to be a bad thing, keeping the classics of Western Civ alive during a time of darkness seems like it would be a good thing.

I don't doubt that religious zealots were responsible for lost manuscripts and other recorded knowledge, however, I think it's necessary to also bring into consideration that this is hardly unique to Christianity or even religion. Over the years I'm sure countless groups have destroyed texts which they disagreed with, and religions are no exception. It's certainly bad, but I don't blame ancient Christians for their actions anymore than I blame 18th century Frenchmen for destroying counter-revolutionary pamphlets. We see it as wrong now, but back then it seemed totally normal and okay.

Right, right, right. I get what you're saying, but give me an example of how this has significantly affected you, other than making you mad :)

When I was younger, around 15 or 16, I was arrested and taken to jail by the preacher up the road for not going to Sunday School to "teach me a lesson" of what happens to teenagers without religion.

Ever since my parents have respected me and understood in why I choose to follow any religion.

Other than that I am fine with people believing in what they want but I just have a small part on the inside that just cringes every time someone talks about the pope. I will respect their opinion but I never want to comment on it.

The whole, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it" part of me.

Also I know this is late but I felt like typing that out.... Sue me.

sounds like some guy was an asshole to you and you should blame him and not the organization he represents

sounds like some guy was an asshole to you and you should blame him and not the organization he represents

I agree with that completely.

The thing is I just can't. This isn't the only problem with only one preacher. I have had a total of 12 problems/encounters with 15 different preachers from NC, TN, and SC.

I really wish I could just blame the person... but if this is all I am to expect when I have a run in with any preacher...

Guest Fohacidal

The problem is that, like you said, you're not willing to do any research. And in order to make a valid comment in this case, you need to have knowledge of history. I really want you to prove the "retardness of the graph", but you're not willing to do so, so it renders any opinion you have on the subject null. Calling something retarded and then not having anything to back it up with just doesn't fly with me, man.

Renders an opinion null? Get the fuck off of it. He can entitle himself to whatever opinion he wants, just because he doesnt feel the need to justify it by you doesnt mean he doesnt know anything anymore.

atheism_vs_religion_vs_me_by_sccskwerl-d4mh6et.jpg

hey fag, if you don't want to read the debate go to another thread

This isn't like real life where when two people are loudly debating it's impossible to ignore them. You chose to come into this thread and read a debate it turned into when you could have just ignored it. Nobody forced you to listen. Fuck off.

This isn't like real life where when two people are loudly debating it's impossible to ignore them. You chose to come into this thread and read a debate it turned into when you could have just ignored it. Nobody forced you to listen. Fuck off.

Hey mang, I came here for mitch's pic, not a debate thread. If I wanted to read through a debate, I would look in our News & Debate sub-forum.

Also, who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

Guest Fohacidal

Hey mang, I came here for mitch's pic, not a debate thread. If I wanted to read through a debate, I would look in our News & Debate sub-forum.

His picture is the first post how did you get lost?

If you wanted to see Mitch's picture you could have looked at it and then left, you didn't have to stay and read everything. My point is that nobody forced you to read anything, and if Mayo's first post about religion and the ones following it bothered you you could have just left the thread and never came back.

I actually can't stand it when two people start to talk about a serious topic like adults and some fag comes in and calls them both immature because he can't handle any sort of serious talk. And don't say "but this is the ENTERTAINMENT section! you can't DEBATE HERE!". Debates can happen anywhere at any time, deal with it.

Edited by Jewinator 5000

The thing is I just can't. This isn't the only problem with only one preacher. I have had a total of 12 problems/encounters with 15 different preachers from NC, TN, and SC.

I really wish I could just blame the person... but if this is all I am to expect when I have a run in with any preacher...

Did one of them stick it in your pooper?

Did one of them stick it in your pooper?

I wish...

Bro, you brought a graph measuring scientific advancement to a debate about science and christianity and the graph didn't have proper labelling, nor any source to back it up, or any way you can possible numerically measure scientific advancement.

The graph is retarded. But so was mine, for the same reasons.

Ever since my parents have respected me and understood in why I choose to not follow any religion.

TIL Nom Noms was molested by Catholic priests.