Sign in to follow this  
f3lix

Fixing the problems with WCS1

I want to start this post off by saying i love this community and this server even though wcs2 was my 1st love and i want to make any contribution to fixing it that i can. This is a serious thread, i dont give a single fuck if once upon a time someone else did what i'm doing today or you personally feel it's a lost cause. I want this server to be normal like most other servers and i'm willing to do something about it.

First of all it would be nice to find out if anyone actually knows what is wrong. Bad server, broken races, abilities or items etc. I'm not a master race coder and i can't be a full time engineer working on this server as much as i would like to be. If money and persistence or finding the right person/people is a problem i can do that.

The server crashes more than 5 times a day and luckily we aren't losing levels like in past years. There has to be something that can be done and i genuinely want to help so please repsond with some useful information.

tldr: tell me what is wrong with this server and what can i do to help

I was told to fix the crashing problem they would have to reset everyone's levels and shit

That would be bad, I could imagine most everyone would be whoring human alliance and all those races right away while I'd be trying to re-level. Unless we were to change the whoring policy.

I personally don't mind re-leveling but by god would that kill the regulars.

10k lvls don't even start with that shit.... xD

Well you have atleast something to do on WCS now if the levels reset.

While I definitely do not want to lose my levels, the server crashes far too often.

I am not sure of the problems with individual races or what it will take to fix those problems.

I wish we had an experienced coder that could take a look right now.

I'm wondering why there would need to be a level reset. I would like to find out if that is a must or if the effort to build a DB with players current levels is too tall of a task or impossible. Anyone who knows what's going on specifically please post, these crashes are getting ridiculous. I would like to know what all the restrictions are for moving forward on a fix. If the issue is a programmer and money let's talk, if it's a level reset, oh well i'm up to almost 4k and it would suck but normals stop coming on because of the crashes anyway so i'm not sure what the holdup is.

While I definitely do not want to lose my levels, the server crashes far too often.

I am not sure of the problems with individual races or what it will take to fix those problems.

I hear that yiyas is a ... Owait..

Also if the server gets reset, WCS1 is dead for ever.

So Yiyas is the only person who knows whats wrong?

No, but he's the only one with information that is needed to fix the problems.

as far as I understand that what the issue is

Edited by EDDY!

Yeah something to do but apparently we have done a server wipe before. In any case, if we truly knew that reset everyone's levels would fix the problems with the server then I might consider it a option. Of course, the easiest fix is to port over to cs:go and start all over and recreate every race once more.

I'm not a experience programmer but like anything I am willing to work with just give me time and I'm sure I can figure it out.... maybe. In fact, the server population would probably grow if it got new races every now and then. I don't need a statistic to know every time we were to release 4-5 races the server activity would skyrocket for a while.

He had been the only coder for the server for years so technically yes would maybe know what is wrong.

Isn't fixing the startup script another option? Let it crash but at least fix it so it starts up right away.

It isn't an issue of the server crashing -- the restart script for our CSS servers works fine (via OGP). The issue is when the server hangs.

Yeah something to do but apparently we have done a server wipe before. In any case, if we truly knew that reset everyone's levels would fix the problems with the server then I might consider it a option. Of course, the easiest fix is to port over to cs:go and start all over and recreate every race once more.

I'm not a experience programmer but like anything I am willing to work with just give me time and I'm sure I can figure it out.... maybe. In fact, the server population would probably grow if it got new races every now and then. I don't need a statistic to know every time we were to release 4-5 races the server activity would skyrocket for a while.

He had been the only coder for the server for years so technically yes would maybe know what is wrong.

Finally someone who gets it, but who is going to code it.

That is the main problem.

inb4 op races and fucking up wcs even more... And no way I'm lvling like 4yrs straight again.... :D

Yes, please do not reset races. That is something I really don't want to do again, I would probably do it for a while then quit. A new race that takes a while to level every month would be nice...

But was it determined that molecule not always proccing against knife races determined broken or no?

It's one thing giving ideas, but the main problem is who is going to do it. I have never met Yiyas, but I think I speak for most if not all of the wcs players that we need to find a new engineer and quit waiting for Yiyas to come back and save the server.

Edited by EDDY!

It's not like he's mia saw him in steam the other day... I guess done all the coding for our mod converting it to python... Dunno if he wants to spend all his free time coding our server for free

Edited by xmen

Well here's the thing, i love this server and i would pay to get it working RIGHT. I'm willing to help get this thing moving and that's the point of this thread, I need people who make the decisions to start making them and asking for the help they need to make it happen. I'm excited to help but my generosity is only going to last so long if i get the feeling nobody is even trying. If anyone is in a position to get this thing started send me a pm and let me know when and where.

Sign in to follow this