Sign in to follow this  
BeauutifulChaos

Photography

Looking pretty darn good there.

I won't be getting any honeymoon photos, sorry...

Thank god.

I AM READY FOR THE CRITICISM.

The main issue seems to be one of soft focus, which leads me to believe it's more a lens issue. What's your equipment?

Other than that, my only advice is to watch the exposure. It's always better to underexpose rather than overexpose.

I AM READY FOR THE CRITICISM.

CRITICISM INCOMING!

I don't have photoshop at work so I'll try my best with pixlr.

This pic has an uninteresting background which you should have blurred out with your camera. It is possible to recreate the effect in photoshop but takes some time. Here is my quick hack job at it in pixlr to explain what I am talking about...

ntqJg.jpg

This one needed some elements in the background cleaned up. You had an over hang in the top left. I cropped the photo to get rid of that and tighten up the shot. Behind one of the groomsmen was a lightpost that I cloned out.

kirEg.jpg

This one I just cropped to be more interesting and to cut out the faces in the reflection of the window. You could also photoshop it to completely remove the people in the reflection but that would have been a lot of work and not easy in pixlr so I didn't go that far. The fact that their faces are no longer in the shot gets rid of the distraction.

Jzt8k.jpg

Some further tips for you... Mind your backgrounds! So often do photographers become focused on the subject. You have to take the whole shot into consideration. You can't always control what is going on but you might be able to take a shot from a different perspective.

Wedding pose shots can be hectic as you have a people waiting, have to shuffle people around, and have deadline to get all your shots. Just remember to stay calm, breathe, and pay attention to detail.

Another tip... Don't be afraid of the rule of thirds. There is a reason some camera have those lines going across them and photo editing software has those lines when cropping photos. You seem to be very center subject oriented. Don't be afraid to change up the focal point. Here is the shot of the bride cropped with the rule of thirds in mind. I cropped the photo so her eye lined up with one of the one thirds intersections.

mS7Z0.jpg

Edited by centran

Centran:

Ahh, thank you very much for the advice. I remember learning about the rule of thirds, it just seems to pass my mind and I was so nervous!

I completely understand what you are saying about the background and paying more attention to cleaning up the detail. I still have so many more pics to edit so I will try to be more oriented about those and show those when I am finished as well. And yes, I know I am very center oriented. I hate it! I just can't help but try and make every symmetric and that is something I need to work on to make it in photography. But thanks so much!

And as far as blur for that one picture goes, is this better? I did it a bit fast so there might be a few errors.

28suhqr.jpg

Dojima:

Yes, I know. I need new lens. I was worknig with a standard Canon EFS18-55mm lens and 50-200mm telephoto lens. I need to upgrade my equipment but I need the money first. >.<

As well I have the Canon Rebel XS.

Edited by BeauutifulChaos

Dojima:

Yes, I know. I need new lens. I was worknig with a standard Canon EFS18-55mm lens and 50-200mm telephoto lens. I need to upgrade my equipment but I need the money first. >.<

As well I have the Canon Rebel XS.

For starters get this lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

It is frequently on sale for $80. The body is cheap. The autofocus isn't the greatest but the glass is good.

In your camera it would act like an ~80mm which is perfect for portraits and the f/1,8 will allow you to shoot in darker environments without needing a flash.

You can't beat the price. It is good glass and the price makes it a lens you don't have to worry about and baby.

Now if you want to go all "proper" then you need it's big brother which is $400 which gives you better autofocus with a USM motor and better f-stop at 1.4

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-USA/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html

And if you want to be a "show-off" pro shooter then you can get the big daddy which is 1600

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/457680-USA/Canon_1257B002AA_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_2L.html

That $1600 50mm prime is lol. Unless you absolutely need f/1.2 for whatever reason, it's trash.

Agreed with the rest, though. Only shoot using primes (non-zooming lenses) or short zooms if you can help it.