Sign in to follow this  
shikaku

3D printable guns (wiki weapon)

This is something I'd actually like to see available. Once these printers can print using metals efficiently, I can definitely predict that guns will literally be printed on demand, nigh-eliminating the need for a black market

In my opinion, I think this technology is fantastic, and that we're progressing in the right direction. However, I don't think the world we're living in is ready for it. It's just way too fucked up in this current state. We've got religion, radical militant groups, corruption in every level of government, people dying of disease, hunger, etc;. And to unleash this sort of thing on the public, to give the wrong people access to weapons and other creatable objects is just not a good idea for obvious reasons.

I think we have to develop as a collective and throw away our borders, religions, prejudices to truly be able to handle this sort of thing. It might seem radical but I think it's what needs to happen if we don't want to see some sort of war or unnecessary deaths occur. - I like to think optimistically that one day we will have all of those things, but realistically I think we're too far gone and caught up in our greed and old ignorant ways.

In my opinion, I think this technology is fantastic, and that we're progressing in the right direction. However, I don't think the world we're living in is ready for it. It's just way too fucked up in this current state. We've got religion, radical militant groups, corruption in every level of government, people dying of disease, hunger, etc;. And to unleash this sort of thing on the public, to give the wrong people access to weapons and other creatable objects is just not a good idea for obvious reasons.

I think we have to develop as a collective and throw away our borders, religions, prejudices to truly be able to handle this sort of thing. It might seem radical but I think it's what needs to happen if we don't want to see some sort of war or unnecessary deaths occur. - I like to think optimistically that one day we will have all of those things, but realistically I think we're too far gone and caught up in our greed and old ignorant ways.

I would love to smoke with you Mayo.

This type of technology is incredibly beneficial to organizations that deal with modeling and design.

Considering that these printers can't legitimately create a working cost-friendly firearm, and don't appear to be terribly close in doing so, I don't see why we can't use this tech to its greatest benefit to the public. If it can be cost effective it can be a very useful tool.

I think the fact that you can suggest this and not be flamed to no end shows progress, maybe one day. A little off topic but in my opinion it would never happen. People in power like to stay in power and will do anything to remain in power. Borders, religion and prejudice are tools that those in power can use to control masses of people and sadly that will never go away. Even if the current leaders are evicted the next wave of leaders will surely fall into old habits. It's a human thing.

Hmmm, if the barrel of a gun could be perfectly copied and printed it could cause problems with the use of bullet striations. Cool technology though, my school has a few 3d printers, though I doubt I'll be seeing people printing off guns...

If you're ever in London, Ontario, Canada, let me know! :P

Considering that these printers can't legitimately create a working cost-friendly firearm, and don't appear to be terribly close in doing so, I don't see why we can't use this tech to its greatest benefit to the public. If it can be cost effective it can be a very useful tool.

I'm sure you've heard this before, nevertheless: We've got more computing power in our cellphones than all of NASA did in the 1960's; it's something like a billion-fold increase in technological advancements up to today. With better technology comes even better technology; it only progresses at faster rates; exponential, really. So to say your above statement, it might be percieved as ignorant.

EDIT: And I agree, this technology would greatly benefit the public, of course. But the people just aren't ready for it, in my opinion. Think of the world as a machine, and technology and society are cogs in the machine. Well right now the technology cog is turning way faster than the social cog; the machine obviously can't handle that. That's why we need a change; fuck, more than just a change, we need to rethink everything, in my opinion.

Edited by Sir. Hot Mayo

If you're ever in London, Ontario, Canada, let me know! :P

I'm sure you've heard this before, nevertheless: We've got more computing power in our cellphones than all of NASA did in the 1960's; it's something like a billion-fold increase in technological advancements up to today. With better technology comes even better technology; it only progresses at faster rates; exponential, really. So to say your above statement, it might be percieved as ignorant.

EDIT: And I agree, this technology would greatly benefit the public, of course. But the people just aren't ready for it, in my opinion. Think of the world as a machine, and technology and society are cogs in the machine. Well right now the technology cog is turning way faster than the social cog; the machine obviously can't handle that. That's why we need a change; fuck, more than just a change, we need to rethink everything, in my opinion.

If they aren't at the point where they can print cost effective guns that actually work, then it isn't a terribly big deal. I'm not entirely sure how much of an issue it is when you consider how many firearms exist today regardless of 3d printers.

Also it is too late if the people aren't ready for it. 3d printers have been in circulation for quite a bit of time now, unless you are talking about something specific regarding those printers.

"We're not about personal armament, we're about freedom of information. For your liberty bro.

But oh yeah, all we care about is making guns.

And we're called defense distributed.

Have fun kids."

Ya, they seem to really contradict themselves. "The product isn't important." designs lethal weapons. wat.

This technology is in it's early stages of public life and will change over the next 10 years. I doubt it will be a commercial item but I think we might start seeing 3D printed tools and such at hardware stores. I doubt the military or anyone will use those 3D printed guns because

A) They will probably have to make entire new laws governing the creation and sale of 3D printed weaponry.

B) Unless it prints ak/47's, nobody in the world who is fighting for money or land will waste money on expensive weapons. Especially when they have the ak/47

Wanting to keep technology from man is like... something you'd see from that nagging old person on a science fiction show "we would kill ourselves!".