Sign in to follow this  
York

Gaming Laptops?

Use gaming and Apple in the same sentence and you already lost...

Just buy them semi good ones, very cheap. All the same level anyways, things like Alienware are just a brand, it's like fashion sunglasses, no difference to another, just the logo makes it fucking expensive.

Think for needs. School requires no much, perhaps you wanna play something? What games? Unless you want Crysis and BF3 level, go for some mid cheap laptop. Laptops just can't run crazy shit anyway.

It's just terrible, too much in too little space... Heat a major issue, fans and heatsinks have no room.

That's completely false. Go inspect an Alienware laptop and take note of the materials used and feel of the laptop. Then go inspect another Dell laptop. There will be a large difference in the quality of the materials from the same company.

Sure brand names may jack up the price a little bit, but there's a reason a BMW costs more than a Honda.

And heat isn't always an issue. Really depends on the maintenance of the laptop unless its a piece of shit from the beginning.

It's a question of whether that difference in quality and such is worth it to you. And if you're on a budget OBVIOUSLY you should buy the cheaper one.

Edited by projectmayhem9

I've thought a lot about this to be honest. I'm going to be coming back home in a little under a month, and I need to get my stuff together for college. But the way I see it is that as many people have said, it's not worth spending a ton on a laptop. School requires close to nothing in the use of computers. Do some research, type a paper etc. So I've decided go with a decent laptop (still able to play games at low quality when needed), and then be able to spend a lot on a quality desktop that will give you a longer life span and easier to change out and maintain longer.

If you're really set on spending a lot on a laptop, there's not a lot of other options to give. People have already given you great ideas on different computers to buy.

Hey guys, one last question:

I've narrowed it down to either an Asus G75 or MSI GT70, which do you feel is the overall better laptop? I know the specs are more or less identical, so I guess it narrows down to whether you feel Asus or MSI is better quality?

I've narrowed it down to either an Asus G75 or MSI GT70, which do you feel is the overall better laptop? I know the specs are more or less identical, so I guess it narrows down to whether you feel Asus or MSI is better quality?

Yeah, that's right, just ignore what all the smart people have said and

Keep-On-Truckin-the-70s-482814_713_348.jpg

People like you are the reason why the Titanic sank and panda bears are going extinct.

Try craigslist.com near your area... You can probably find one of these really good laptops for quite a bargain. DO ET.

Yeah, that's right, just ignore what all the smart people have said and

Keep-On-Truckin-the-70s-482814_713_348.jpg

People like you are the reason why the Titanic sank and panda bears are going extinct.

Someone's butthurt I didn't listen to him. I came in here to find a gaming laptop, not for you to spout your all knowing bullshit. I don't have any flight of stairs to walk up. Oh and I'm not a pussy, I'll carry that laptop up to kingdom fucking come. I'm fucking King York. GTFO my thread.

Edited by yorkenvy

My laptop bag w/ everything I fit in it weighed about 20 lbs, with 15 of it coming from my laptop and its power brick. It was pretty easy carrying it around campus, even up and down stairs. Last I checked, I can just barely bench 100 so don't let weight factor in whether or not you want a certain laptop.

Last I checked, I can just barely bench 100 so don't let weight factor in whether or not you want a certain laptop.

Yeah, I agree. You look like you can probably bench a lot more than that, York, so you should probably do what I do and just carry around a full-size desktop computer and monitor in a duffel bag wherever you go. Never allow yourself to be stuck in a situation where you don't have maximum computing power at all times. #yolo

Last I checked, I can just barely bench 100 so don't let weight factor in whether or not you want a certain laptop.

Yeah, I agree. You look like you can probably bench a lot more than that, York, so you should probably do what I do and just carry around a full-size desktop computer and monitor in a duffel bag wherever you go. Never allow yourself to be stuck in a situation where you don't have maximum computing power at all times. #yolo

Best post I've ever seen from you.

I love the MSI GT70's keyboard color options, although I've heard that some times the keys don't register. I also don't know if their cooling system is efficient with one fan, is it? How loud are they? Also how is the case in comparison to the Asus?

I like the Asus G75VW, and it seems like an overall solid product. Are there any issues with it? I wish I could customize the keyboard lighting colors too though -_- And is Asus' support really that bad?

I think my biggest issue is I have to finance the laptop, and I can either buy from Tigerdirect or Newegg. Newegg only has the MSI in stock, so if I get the MSI I can get a free xbox. If I go with Asus, I have to buy from Tigerdirect and don't get a free xbox..

This is my dilemma haha. Overall what are your opinions on the laptops? Which do you feel is better? And in my case, which one is worth it?

Edited by yorkenvy

Honestly though, no, really, honestly, think about this. Really think about it.

WHERE THE FUCK AND WHY would you suddenly have the insatiable desire to start playing a top end game in the middle of day in college? What kind of aspie mother fucker needs to whip out his PC for 15 minutes of Battlefield 3 while sitting on a couch at your school's student union? The best goddamn powerhouse with the niftiest precision mouse ain't gonna do shit for your KDR on a vinyl seat cushion and a 130 degree wrist angle. What kind of bright idea is it to pack all the powerful components you want into the itty-bittiest of spaces, and then lug around that constantly overheating brick that's so dense it's on the verge of becoming a black hole? I'm doing you a favor, which, considering that the rationale you've displayed in this thread makes the fact that you're going to school in a place that doesn't have staircases not the least bit surprising, is something you could use.

I'm GT, and this is my thread now.

Since no one seems to be answering your question, I guess I will.

The Asus G75 is better in every way than the MSI GT70 except battery life which won't matter since the battery life is always going to be pretty bad on these types of laptops. The G75 is quieter, has a better quality display, runs cooler, and has a much more solid case (not to mention it looks a lot better and less "gamer-like"). Both of them come standard with the new i7 Ivy Bridge's and GTX 670m's so it should all come down to which one has the better components aside from the usual which is the G75.

Btw, just try and work something out with whoever you're rooming with so you can also get an Xbox 360 and it looks like you'll be set.

Unless you're a complete moron who doesn't realize you should probably clean your fans out once in a while (as well as buying something that's not shitty in the first place), the Macbook isn't going to be better. Especially if you're actually into gaming as Apple's laptops are usually behind the times when it comes to cards.

In something where the non-computational aspect of the hardware matters, Apple wins.

Hell yeah. Apple is the top end hardware wise specially with their latest macbook pro with retina display and all new designed fans.

Im currently on a Macbook Pro Early '10 which I think is awesome, I also use it as a gaming laptop alongside my GFXing for college and does its job. If your thinking wont be able to play pc games, you can always dual boot with windows and windows will run smoothly and quickly on a mac hardware