Sign in to follow this  
York

Gaming Laptops?

Going to college soon and want a laptop that is specced for gaming. Price range is about $1,000 to $1,400. Can anybody help a brotha out? Originally I was going to get an Ibuypower laptop because my PC is ibuypower and I've never had a problem, but they have a shit ton of terrible reviews that indicate that if I ever have a problem, it's going to be a hassle trying to fix it with them.

I have an asus g74, if you don't mind the 10 pounds and the hassle of trying to find a backpack that fits, it's quite nice especially with the large fans.

edit: the g75 came out also.

Edited by Taboo

I have an asus g74, if you don't mind the 10 pounds and the hassle of trying to find a backpack that fits, it's quite nice especially with the large fans.

edit: the g75 came out also.

I'll check it out haha, but I really wouldn't mind. Thanks

I'd still like for everybody's input so I can compare and decide.

One of my friends and Mitch actually bought the same laptop which is really nice.

I think its these - http://www.malibal.com/

Thanks Blob. Also has anyone had any experiences(or friends with experiences) with Digital Storm, Origin PC, or Maingear, Toshiba or MSI?

Edited by yorkenvy

Origin PC, Maingear, Digital Storm, XoticPC, Malibal, and GentechPC are what I consider the best custom gaming laptop vendors. All of those are top notch with their prices and customer support. Of course, all of these companies except Gentech and Xotic only sell the same variants of Clevo notebooks and slap their logos on them to make them appear "custom". Xotic and Gentech sell Sager (Clevo), MSI, Asus, and Alienware.

For $1000-$1400, these are my personal recommendations.

- Asus G55VW

- Asus N56VZ

- MSI GE60

- MSI GT60

- Sager NP6165

- Sager NP9130

- Sager NP9150

- Sager NP9170

Currently I'm waiting for this to be completed and shipped from XoticPC.

Origin PC, Maingear, Digital Storm, XoticPC, Malibal, and GentechPC are what I consider the best custom gaming laptop vendors. All of those are top notch with their prices and customer support. Of course, all of these companies except Gentech and Xotic only sell the same variants of Clevo notebooks and slap their logos on them to make them appear "custom". Xotic and Gentech sell Sager (Clevo), MSI, Asus, and Alienware.

For $1000-$1400, these are my personal recommendations.

- Asus G55VW

- Asus N56VZ

- MSI GE60

- MSI GT60

- Sager NP6165

- Sager NP9130

- Sager NP9150

- Sager NP9170

Currently I'm waiting for this to be completed and shipped from XoticPC.

Dude you are the bomb. This is a perfect example of a quality post. Thank you

Gaming laptop? No, oh god no. Just no.

Laptops degrade fast, too much in too small space, no good. Buy desktop, regardless of circumstances

E: In case of a laptop fag, buy medium laptop whatever, quite cheap i5 these days, even i7. Anything above is waste of money.

Edited by Justice

I second the G74 picked one up cause I travel alot for work. Paid $1400ish I think. Works great. But would be a little big also comes in 15in for something easier to carry from class to class.

AHAHA, Drug. Wish I could +rep that more.

The best powerful laptops are Apple. "Gaming laptop" is kind of an oxymoron.

Unless you're a complete moron who doesn't realize you should probably clean your fans out once in a while (as well as buying something that's not shitty in the first place), the Macbook isn't going to be better. Especially if you're actually into gaming as Apple's laptops are usually behind the times when it comes to cards.

Obviously you'll get more bang for your buck with a desktop, but laptops are so much easier in a dorm room/college environment.

http://www.falcon-nw.com/laptops/drx

We play games real gud now.

But really, I'd just recommend an Asus since, while they're relatively newer with mass production of computerized products ( They used to only do custom production), they essentially always fit their name brand laptops with the best gaming gear that anyone could get. Not only that, they're probably a lot cheaper than a flimsy Alienware.

Also, I wouldn't suggest you try to make your own. Trying to fit parts into an empty laptop case and hoping it holds together will probably sacrifice the air flow given that you don't know how to fit it properly, and any sanity that you have left.

TL;DR: My Asus, G74, is all that I could ask for Gaming-wise.

Edited by Rune

Unless you're a complete moron who doesn't realize you should probably clean your fans out once in a while (as well as buying something that's not shitty in the first place), the Macbook isn't going to be better. Especially if you're actually into gaming as Apple's laptops are usually behind the times when it comes to cards.

In something where the non-computational aspect of the hardware matters, Apple wins.

In something where the non-computational aspect of the hardware matters, Apple wins.

Yeah, for the most part. Gotta say Alienware's got some solidly built parts though. Nice aluminum chassis, good tactile keyboard feedback, etc. A little pricier than other laptops but you get what you pay for as with Apple. As much as Apple's prices and such piss me off, you get some solid build quality with that money. My friend's Asus (not sure what model but its older) performs well but has that plastic, shit feel to it.

Razer Blade looks pretty slick and well built (and similar to a Macbook, lol). I'd be worried about temps though with that Macbook like chassis. My friend's Macbook fuckin burns your skin if it's been running long enough.

Yeah, for the most part. Gotta say Alienware's got some solidly built parts though. Nice aluminum chassis, good tactile keyboard feedback, etc. A little pricier than other laptops but you get what you pay for as with Apple. As much as Apple's prices and such piss me off, you get some solid build quality with that money. My friend's Asus (not sure what model but its older) performs well but has that plastic, shit feel to it.

Razer Blade looks pretty slick and well built (and similar to a Macbook, lol). I'd be worried about temps though with that Macbook like chassis. My friend's Macbook fuckin burns your skin if it's been running long enough.

MBPs have longer lifespans then the majority of other laptops.

Don't buy Alienware, if you're actually going for a gaming laptop then I'd suggest going Sager/Clevo. As blob said, I have a Malibal and so does one of his friends. I think his friend can run Skyrim on pretty good settings with 60+ fps, I can run SC2, D3 and BF3 on max settings and get a minimum of 50 FPS, an average of 60-75 FPS.

My laptop only cost me $1250? Or something like that, then switched the HD out for an SSD.

MBPs have longer lifespans then the majority of other laptops.

Don't buy Alienware, if you're actually going for a gaming laptop then I'd suggest going Sager/Clevo. As blob said, I have a Malibal and so does one of his friends. I think his friend can run Skyrim on pretty good settings with 60+ fps, I can run SC2, D3 and BF3 on max settings and get a minimum of 50 FPS, an average of 60-75 FPS.

My laptop only cost me $1250? Or something like that, then switched the HD out for an SSD.

Yeah because you're buying a higher quality product. Obviously it will last longer than a $400 bargain bin laptop. They really don't last any longer than a decent laptop.

As with most things, you get what you pay for.

I still have my Alienware m18x, and I personally think it's fucking awesome.

However, everyone here is going to tell you not to get one because the large majority of people here don't have the money to blow on a crazy laptop.

If you do, by all means go for it.

One month with a gaming laptop in college, and you're going to want to jump in a meat grinder and be served as the next lunch special in the closest dining hall if you have to walk up so much as one flight of stairs on a daily basis. Get yourself a desktop/netbook combo and live the best of both worlds for a much better price.

Use gaming and Apple in the same sentence and you already lost...

Just buy them semi good ones, very cheap. All the same level anyways, things like Alienware are just a brand, it's like fashion sunglasses, no difference to another, just the logo makes it fucking expensive.

Think for needs. School requires no much, perhaps you wanna play something? What games? Unless you want Crysis and BF3 level, go for some mid cheap laptop. Laptops just can't run crazy shit anyway.

It's just terrible, too much in too little space... Heat a major issue, fans and heatsinks have no room.

^ A lot more expensive option to a desktop... Although I must say it really is handy to be able to take the comp to a friends house with just a laptop bag :D