Sign in to follow this  
Epicsauce

NASA; Solar Flare engulfs Earth

Sometime around 1:95 she says 'By the time the data were collected'

Wat.

Anyway, we might get a few power outages, so clearly the only solution is to NUKE THE SUN FROM ORBIT.

Solar flares are actually very common, they have a huge affect on other planets but they don’t really affect ours that much due to our magnetosphere. The only serious thing solar flares will do is cut off some technology and incinerate some satellites, but as our technology increases the amount of satellites that are hurt by this will decrease. Also, solar flares create solar wind which creates the Northern Lights. Plus, they are actually very beautiful things if you think about it.

Wat.

Anyway, we might get a few power outages, so clearly the only solution is to NUKE THE SUN FROM ORBIT.

The hell do you think the sun is?

Every second, the sun puts out the power of over 9,000,000 (give or take) nukes

Wat.

The hell do you think the sun is?

Every second, the sun puts out the power of over 9,000,000 (give or take) nukes

"You wanna put out an oil fire, Sir, you set off a bigger explosion right next to it. Sucks away the oxygen. Snuffs the flame. We got ourselves a pretty big fire. Gonna need a huge bang." - Captain Price

I think that Captain Price's plan can work for destroying the sun. We will just need oh....about 20,000,000 nukes

Wat.

Data is technically the plural form of the word datum. A lot of scientists like to pedantically use plural verb conjugations with data, but it's hypercorrective in my opinion because no one uses the word datum anymore.

Data is technically the plural form of the word datum. A lot of scientists like to pedantically use plural verb conjugations with data, but it's hypercorrective in my opinion because no one uses the word datum anymore.

Simple Engrish skizzles: "By the time the data were collected" does not stand grammatically correct, the entirety of the fragment is in the past tense, therefore it must be "By the time the data was collected."

Were is a past singular, plural, and subjunctive tense for the verb be. The reason it sounds wrong is because people typically consider data to be a singular noun; it's technically a plural noun, however.

For example, take the sentences, "The car was red," and "The cars were red." Car is a singular noun, so it takes the conjugation 'was' in the past tense, but cars is plural, so it takes the conjugation 'were'. In the same way, datum is the singular form of the plural data. So technically speaking, it should be, "The datum was collected," and "The data were collected." I consider that to be pedantic nonsense, however, and use, "The data was collected."

Were is a past singular, plural, and subjunctive tense for the verb be. The reason it sounds wrong is because people typically consider data to be a singular noun; it's technically a plural noun, however.

For example, take the sentences, "The car was red," and "The cars were red." Car is a singular noun, so it takes the conjugation 'was' in the past tense, but cars is plural, so it takes the conjugation 'were'. In the same way, datum is the singular form of the plural data. So technically speaking, it should be, "The datum was collected," and "The data were collected." I consider that to be pedantic nonsense, however, and use, "The data was collected."

You're too kind. I woulda railed him on how were and was are both past tense and then proceed to call him a dumbass.

"You wanna put out an oil fire, Sir, you set off a bigger explosion right next to it. Sucks away the oxygen. Snuffs the flame. We got ourselves a pretty big fire. Gonna need a huge bang." - Captain Price

I think that Captain Price's plan can work for destroying the sun. We will just need oh....about 20,000,000 nukes

Per second

True, for the sake of semantics, "the data were collected" holds correctness within this context--being that this stemmed from official NASA dialogue. In terms of informal writing, this forum, either form is acceptable. Also, Pebbz, quit flaming, ã‚ãªãŸã¯ å°ã•ã„ 性器を æŒã£ã¦ã„ã¾ã™.

I remember the last time we had a big solar storm; could see the aurora in Minnesota, was awesome.

Was it the one that was about 4 or 5 months ago? I think there were 3 different X2 flares that all hit within a fews hours of eachother. Brown-outs throughout the mid/southwest for a couple days. It was awesome.

FUCK! Another old post that I've replied to. Is there a way to delete these (this is my 3rd one today)?

Edited by *High-C* brenner

Sucks away the oxygen

I think that Captain Price's plan can work for destroying the sun

oxygen

sun

vacuum of space

Edited by Shiny Kneecaps