Sign in to follow this  
Marvin

Understanding Steam ID's?

I've been thinking about this a bit and I've started to wonder. What do certain numbers in someone's Steam ID mean?

Take mine for example:

STEAM_0:1:11991248

I've seen people with the 0:0:xxxxxx and mine is 0:1:xxxxxx

What is the difference? Does it mean anything? Are there ID's with 1:1:xxxxxx ?

Is it just a way to recycle the same set of 8 or so digits? Like: STEAM_0:1:12345 and STEAM_0:0:12345?

It seems like the number after the first colon is there purely due to the fact that the digits following the second colon may have become completely filled.

Eh... I don't full understand that wiki. Maybe you could elaborate round it?

The first number (The 0 or 1 as Marvin was saying) Represents the type of account, or as Valve calls it, The universe to which the account belongs to.

0 Individual / Unspecified

1 Public

2 Beta

3 Internal

4 Dev

5 RC

So if you see a steam account in a server that looks like this:

STEAM_3:0:51516

It's a Valve employee (Internal Valve account).

The next number (0 or 1) Is just a way of recycling the same set of numbers as someone already said. The last few digits are your actual account number. The fewer the digits, the older the account.

Marvin-

The 0 or 1 at the start (the second digit) defines which server the steamid was registered with, that is all.

Also afaik steamids only came in at around 2003ish, with the number of the id increasing each time a new one was made.

I do remember reading somewhere that a certain set of 7 dig ids were internet cafe reserved. Think it was 7000000 to 8000000.

The next number (0 or 1) Is just a way of recycling the same set of numbers as someone already said. The last few digits are your actual account number. The fewer the digits, the older the account.

Not really: The value of Y is normally 0 or 1, which used to be the authentication server the user is on, but now it is just part of the Account ID.

in the form: steam_X:Y:Z

So it was used before, now it's just a place saver.

I do remember reading somewhere that a certain set of 7 dig ids were internet cafe reserved. Think it was 7000000 to 8000000.

You are correct, but not all cafe's are in that range (most are though)

You are correct, but not all cafe's are in that range (most are though)

good point cause mine is STEAM_0:1:8930631

so im not in that 7000000-8000000 range am i?

and see i joined like so many years ago like 2004 or 2005, right after CSS came out is the first time i got my own STEAM account even though i've played CS before that

so i found out that the STEAM_0:1: and STEAM_0:0 is just for STEAM to see like how many admins compared to users they have to get an idea if they need anymore admins

so i found out that the STEAM_0:1: and STEAM_0:0 is just for STEAM to see like how many admins compared to users they have to get an idea if they need anymore admins

It has nothing to do with admins.... How would steam know who is an admin on a server?

The value of Y is normally 0 or 1, which used to be the authentication server the user is on, but now it is just part of the Account ID.

In other words: It used to be for the log in server for steam, but now it isn't used anymore.......

I thought it went 4-8 dig and 4 dig ment you bought a game really really early ages of steam, and it went up from there

and that's why all these people are like "OH YEAH? I HAVE A 4 DIG SO IM GOOOOOOD", I'm not sure.

Guest armyofone
Lowest I've seen in game is 1965. Mine is 5 digits. Come at me.

0mG dis maiks u s0 l33t!

I have a 4 digi - If someone's got $$$ I'll sell it :P

I used the 4 digi when I started playing CS...lost the password for a year and then accidentally typed in one of my rando passwords on it once and it worked...

fail froot.

EDIT:

inb4coolstory

I have a 4 digi - If someone's got $$$ I'll sell it :P

I used the 4 digi when I started playing CS...lost the password for a year and then accidentally typed in one of my rando passwords on it once and it worked...

fail froot.

EDIT:

inb4coolstory

cool story bro....

no really, thats pretty cool :D

I'm sad, I played back with Half-Life: Deathmatch and Team Fortress Classic, before they had Steam IDs. And then I didn't touch that account for years, and when I read about how cool low-digit Steam IDs were a couple of years ago I went back and checked to see what mine was, and I didn't have one on that account, and I got some shitty 8 digit number :< I got robbed.

i see people with 4 digit IDs on our servers sometimes, its weird that they still play after all that time

So what if we've been nerds forever :P

Also:

what games are on your 4 dig account and how much are you looking for?

ilol'd...I seriously did not think anyone on this forum would be so nRD to want to buy a 4-digi...

It won't make you good. Just FYI.