Sign in to follow this  
Lazzy

How close have you come to dying?

So...

Monday, I lost one of my dearest friends to a car accident... Less than an hour after I had made plans with him to see each other again.

I feel so useless looking at it... it was such a goddamned preventable death...

But he died like he lived. He was having the time of his life xD Like we always do.

We always told each other we would live fast and die young... but God damn... just too fucking soon.

It really got me thinking, I guess it happens a lot when someone close to you dies, at least my friends and I have confirmed it...

How close have we all been to death?

I can recall on several occasions, driving, walking, etc. where just a split second wrong decision would have guaranteed my death...

I dunno. I guess this is just me venting :/ But god damned... I miss him...

http://www.gazette.net/stories/10192010/montnew142112_32592.php

RIP David... pack a bowl for me up there.

Not close at all. I'm a pretty careful person.

And though I'm sorry to hear your friend's gone, I have to say, that was pretty damned dumb of him and the driver.

Not close at all. I'm a pretty careful person.

And though I'm sorry to hear your friend's gone, I have to say, that was pretty damned dumb of him and the driver.

I know... I've been beating him up mentally ever since it happened xD

I'm honestly still in shock... like I'm walking through water.

Your original post invoked empathy in me.

Then I read the article.

Edit: Personally, I've been close more times than what's pleasing. A work accident (when I was doing lumberjack work) left me with the skin on my hands melted off and severe internal bleeding. I was stabbed while fighting off a guy who tried to mug me, and finally.... I have an extra set of bones in my chest. This means my chest is reinforced, but also that there is excess pressure in my thoracic cavity. Surgery has an 80% chance of death, so I have avoided it, but one day I will not wake up.

I'm 19 and pretty close to death. If you learn anything from your buddy, learn to appreciate and love life while it lasts.

It happens Lazzy. In the past year I lost 2 friends one to a possible suicide or "accident" and one to a car accdient. Also, my friend's cousin almost died because a cop felt like going 100 mph late at night with no lights on. Me, myself I been close to many times, but honestly I wouldn't live my life any different. You will get over the shock a few weeks after the funeral that is when I started feeling semi-normal. Sorry about it brother, but death happens it is part of life and younger people are more prone to it.

So sorry bout your friend David. Tragic accident.

But yeah I've had a near death accident once. My dad was driving our car (Land Cruiser) and then, when we were approaching another land cruiser on the road, our front left wheel exploded. Our car immedially swinged on to the rong side of the road. We were driving at 100 km/h speed, and my dad narrowly managed to steer away from the opposing car. If he had done it one sec later, we would have rammed straight at the other car. So yeah, pretty close, but we were fine after that. And once I fell of a horse on my head, but I had a helmet so I only broke a bone.

So...

Monday, I lost one of my dearest friends to a car accident... Less than an hour after I had made plans with him to see each other again.

You made plans with your dead friend?wut :S

And I haven't personally come close to death, although I almost got hit by a car in the summer. The driver wasn't looking and narrowly missed me by an inch or less - I was fuckin' pissed.

I barely made it through my first couple years. Illness after illness, obscenely high fever after obscenely high fever. Turns out doctors really like giving me medicine I'm allergic to. I'm still here, so whatever.

Aside from that, I've never really been that close to death. I almost killed myself by being a retarded driver one day, but I lucked out.

I almost drowned in a lazy river when I was a little kid. Looked like this but was completely full. I got trapped under everyone's tubes and some white guy picked me up out of the water before I drowned. Scared the fuck out of me (at the time).

Reading the article I get the feeling your friend who stuck his head out the window was the victim of a bad joke. Sounds like the driver got closer to the pole as a joke, but misjudged it? Who knows. Sorry for your loss either way though.

Lazy-river.jpg

Bad way to go... Rip and sorry for the loss

Closest i've been was when my father me (4 at the time) and my uncle were in his truck and went on an opposite bank when it was raining, causing the truck to flip over, luckily eeryone had their seatbelts

on and no one except my dad had any injuries, he had

a few scrapes and bruises

I almost drowned in a lazy river when I was a little kid. Looked like this but was completely full. I got trapped under everyone's tubes and some white guy picked me up out of the water before I drowned. Scared the fuck out of me (at the time).

Reading the article I get the feeling your friend who stuck his head out the window was the victim of a bad joke. Sounds like the driver got closer to the pole as a joke, but misjudged it? Who knows. Sorry for your loss either way though.

We're thinking he was waving and shouting with the rest of them and accidentally jerked the wheel a little. The pole, literally, came out of nowhere. They were parallel to the road 20 feet off, and suddenly one was a foot from the side of the road... He never expected it or saw it.

The death on impact is a blessing in disguise. Had he survived... he wouldn't have been our friend anymore. There was just too much damage... his jaw was shattered... his head was swelling like a balloon... The driver of the car and one of the guys he was waving at were trained paramedics... but there wasn't a thing in the world that could've saved him, other than prevention...

Thank you all for your kind words, I'll definitely pass them on to the rest of my friends/family. It'll mean a lot to them, even if it doesn't seem like much.

Didn't get injured, but probably would have died when I crashed into a car that I pushed underneath an 18-wheeler that had an empty gasoline tanker on the back. If it was full and it had ruptured, I would have been going in a blaze of fire.

1 Meningitis @ 8

2-12 Cabbies in my city

13 pickup truck dam near hit me last winter

14 yesterday i just about became a pancake between a red impalla ( prick ran a red light) and silver suburban

A buddy of mine was recently killed in Iraq, and what helped the most, honestly... Was getting with all of the friends closest to him, making a bonfire and kicking back some beers while we reminisced about the fun times we had with him. After that night, instead of being sad, I just hoped wherever he is he is having a blast. Maybe try out something similar?

No shit, I was making fun of it with my comment.

I don't get it. It seemed like you were tryin' to be clever by implying that's what it meant as he typed it.

when i was like 6 er 8 or some age like that i was camping with my family and had brought a friend. we went to the campground play ground and some how ended up throwing rocks at a tree and one bounced back and hit my head. it hurt so i ran back to our tent crying but as i started running my friend yelled to me "dude ur head is open" and i tilted my head and blood ran down in front of my head. when i got back to my site and my parents frewaked and stuck a bandaid and put me in front of the tv in the car to calm me down ( lol ). there was no hospital around since it was a camp site but i was fine and had no damage after we went to see a doctor. they said if i had gotten there right away i would of had 40 stitches.

A buddy of mine was recently killed in Iraq, and what helped the most, honestly... Was getting with all of the friends closest to him, making a bonfire and kicking back some beers while we reminisced about the fun times we had with him. After that night, instead of being sad, I just hoped wherever he is he is having a blast. Maybe try out something similar?

We all got together and smoked up, reminiscing and sharing the good memories. We're going to be having a proper bonfire/celebration/memorial sometime soon. He's too good of a friend to not do that.

He always played that song, Heaven is a Halfpipe, or whatever it was XD

I don't know how many people here believe in an afterlife, but it's a damn good comfort to think about him up there, watching us and rolling blunts with Jesus and his dad XD