Sign in to follow this  
Synikal

"Fix Your Damn Ping"?

Although I may not have been playing on the servers long, one thing that seems to stand out most is the amount of lag. Now I know we are getting an upgrade and that servers are going through maintenance, but it seems to me that players with outrageous pings aren't helping the problem either.

My suggestion is to implement a rule that prevents players with more than 170 ping (150?) from staying on the servers. I realize that a large portion of the players are from different countries, but there are more than enough Warcraft/Surf/etc servers out there for them to enjoy.

*I apologize if there have been previous attempts to restrict high pingers, so let me know if this has already been decided on.

Guest Dead=Vortex

No Way...My ping goes over 200 at times

someone from Europe would have their ping at 200 and be fine.

I can come in with 100 ping and choke massively and pretty much appear to be teleporting

someone from Europe would have their ping at 200 and be fine.

I can come in with 100 ping and choke massively and pretty much appear to be teleporting

It might be fine on their end, but think of 10+ people with 200+ ping on the server constantly.. it sure doesn't help with the lag.

ping doesnt mean lag.

lol. Yeah, it does. It may not show it on your end, because that is part of the source engine with cl_smooth etc, but i can guarantee you're 10-15x harder to hit than someone with mid 90s ping. A simple way to test this is go into a 1.6 server with the same ping and watch how much you actually skip around and visibly lag because of the lack of the source engine "fix". 1.6 is HALF as taxing as source to say the least, it just doesnt smooth it out for you.

Screw you I have a ping of 280+ if I get restricted for playing on the only ze server that doesn't kick me out I will make sure everyone's lives will be HELL. I mean it

Klark if your gunna do that i suggest you set it around 280-300... coz at max i normally see is like them and they have sometimes be on for a while... but anything over 300 is silly!

Chikendinner

I'm going to put a plugin on all the servers soon that kicks people with 200+ ping. (maybe 250+)

Great news! Thank you very much Klark.

I'm going to put a plugin on all the servers soon that kicks people with 200+ ping. (maybe 250+)

make it 300

make it non because majority of people WHO ACTUALLY ENJOYS the servers are people with high pings as they always get kick in others but people with lower pings take the bloody server for granted. I for one ACTUALLY RESPECTS this community because of their tolerance for people from other countries but if the ping kicker is implemented then I will have to leave the community as it isn't ethical for someone to be in a community that doesn't want him because his asian and have high ping.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to RazorSharp and everyone else for the recent drama concerning the Ping Plugin debacle, I was just making a suggestion and it got out of hand. It was meant to be a mere suggestion, and it obviously rubbed some people the wrong way.

It is easy to find a 1000 faults in others but hard to find one in yourself I'm sorry for acting harsh because I was having a really bad day and the thread doesn't help calm me down.

Guest Mr Clickerson

Where the Hell do you people live that you have so much ping? Ping DOES equate to lag as that's a measure of how much time it takes for information to travel between you and the server and back again. High ping = lag. Now, whether that is due to your connection or the server is a different issue. If every server you join gives you a high ping, FIX YOUR DAMN CONNECTION or play on servers that are closer to you.

I don't understand how I get more lag than other people who have higher ping than me. Does your processor help? Maybe I should kick the intel duo core 2 or w/e and replace it with a i7 if that helps (of course that means whole new mother board, while I'm at it, might as well just build a whole computer)

I don't understand how I get more lag than other people who have higher ping than me. Does your processor help? Maybe I should kick the intel duo core 2 or w/e and replace it with a i7 if that helps (of course that means whole new mother board, while I'm at it, might as well just build a whole computer)

Yeah, one problem with Source is it's heavily dependent on your processor. I'm due for an upgrade as well, as I start noticing lag when the servers fill up.

"SyniKal please get a better internet connection. Internet speed doesn't determine ping. a ping is determined by the location of the internet to the server's location so it doesn't lag the server up." - RazorSharp

You just completely contradicted yourself here. First you say ping has no effect on the server, now youre saying your location from the server lags the server up. If you werent a complete fucking moron and actually looked into the issue as opposed to raging on like a moron telling synikal youre "fucking his dead mother", who isnt even dead, then maybe your argument would be taken seriously.

If you honestly believe ping has no bearing on lag, then youre a complete fucking moron. Ping by definition is the round-trip time to send data from you, to the server, and then back. The higher the ping, the higher the lag. My 9 year old nephew knows this. Might I also add, he makes more sense when he speaks than you as well, but that's besides the point. There are thousands of asian servers, if you actually knew how to use your server browser, or even off-client server browsers for that matter, you'd know this. Youre the one who chose to join a US/Canada based community KNOWING that your ping would be an issue. How is that anyone elses fault?

And for someone complaining about being able to play on their ZE server, you sure dont play very often. In fact, according to HLStats, youve only ever been on the jailbreak server , and have only played for a total of 1 hour, with an average ping of 360.

http://hlstatsx.syndicate-gamers.net/hlstats.php?mode=search&q=STEAM_0%3A1%3A17742291&st=uniqueid&game=

Guest Mr Clickerson
Clickerson this is over please dont incite another flame/troll war

No, it's not. A ping limit would significantly improve the servers. It's not SG's fault your shit is fucked.