Sign in to follow this  
ChosenOne2000

Army Talk

You can apply for an Army ROTC scholarship the 1st semester of your Senior year of HS. I was a drill team/color guard/raider guy too. ROTC Scholarships go to ppl who are well rounded.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/hs_four_year_scholarship.jsp

.... what a necro

over 6 months ago...

Yeah, but would you want 50 threads asking the same question or just 1?

Am now officially signed up for the USAF.

somehow i made a 93 on my asvab.

Congrats!

Whats your job?

EDIT: what was your GT score....that is the real score that matters w/ job placement. If your GT was a 93.......you need to retake the test. A 110 or higher unlocks all jobs.

Do they have wallhacks in the millitary?

On topic: What do you do if you wanna leave the millitary? im doubting you just get up and leave one morning

Serve your contract and dont renew. That simple....

I can answer that one.

After signing up to a military branch, they "recommend" you come to train with them once or twice a week. After an amount of time, they will have you go down to a meps station, where they give you a piss test, eye test, hearing test and physicals. Just hope you don't get the old doctors, they get their jollies off the youngin'

You are than given a "contract" to sign, you swear an "oath" of loyalty, given a ship-date, and are given the belief that from here on out you are the Military's property.

Let me tell you a not so well known secret.

Until you step foot on the bus to bootcamp you are not by ANY stretch of legal means obligated to continue on with the military. You are able to leave at any point, however, AS SOON as you step on that bus, you are the military's till your contract is up, and if they say jump, you WILL say "Sir, How High Sir?"

Actually, this being a volunteer military, even after you get off the bus you can quit at any time during basic training status and they really have no choice but to send you home. At least in the army. It's a Chapter 11 uncharacterized and it's basically like you were never there.

Yes, because I didn't go through that with the Marine Corps.

Little known fact, I was signed to join the Corp, than I told them to fuck off when they tried to switch my MOS to grunt.

Note, they are in the military, and went through with the full training. I defected, and learned something not everyone did, which is why he does not/will not believe my statement. Believe it or not, I don't mind. I know the facts of the matter. Not the power drilled into the skull version.

I don't know about you, but when I was considering the marines I was told by the recruiter that regardless of my MOS, I would be infantry. The only branch that is contractually obligated to send you to the MOS training you qualified for and chose at your initial contract signing is the Army. That's why I went with it.

Now for an actual question:

How much longer is your enlistment chosen? Are you going to re-up, or go home?

good posts.well i think what i am going to do is enlist,for citizen ship,than after a few years i will take the green to gold scholarship and go to premed. than i will do the USUHS, that pays for both med school and i get O-1 pay while i am an intern, and intern pay.my only decision as far as i can see is what to do for those first few years.

i am realy after something that isnt boring. i can't stand doing the same thing over again and again.also i go in as pfc,so there is a few extra buks in my pocket. now i could either do this,or wait like 3 years after graduating from highschool doing boring work at some dead end job until i can become a U.S citizen and than do the ROTC way. but by enlisting i get automatic U.S citizenship,and i get a steady job.

i am a Australian citizen right now,i am going to hold dual-citizenship.

also,about the asvab,that test was so easy,any1 with a 10th grade education should know everything on that test like the back of their hand. I'm taking it again.i was a little unprepared for it my first time and only made like an 75 or something.

i dont get how they average that out though,since i got a 98-99 in everything but shop and arithmatic reasoning.

I don't know about you, but when I was considering the marines I was told by the recruiter that regardless of my MOS, I would be infantry. The only branch that is contractually obligated to send you to the MOS training you qualified for and chose at your initial contract signing is the Army. That's why I went with it.

Now for an actual question:

How much longer is your enlistment chosen? Are you going to re-up, or go home?

For ALL Marines they have 2 MOS'ssssss. Their secondary MOS will always be Infantry.

I'm not enlisted so I don't "enlist". Congress holds a special session and they "commission" me as a direct representative of the President of the United States. A commission is indefinite after your initial obligation (mine was 4 years). However, you can submit paperwork to resign your commission. You can always renegotiate your commission if the Army wants to keep you.

Chosen’s Renegotiation:

Chosen: Send me to school for 4 years and I'll give you 4 years of service

Big Army: Cool

.....4 years later

Chosen: I want to specialize in Behavioral Medicine and Clinical Informatics. Send me to school for that shit or I'm leaving!

Big Army: Damn, he survived Operation Darky Shield! Fuck it, sure but after you finish your residency we own your ass for 6 more years!

Chosen: I give two shits.....just show me the motherfucking money son!

i am a Australian citizen right now,i am going to hold dual-citizenship.

also,about the asvab,that test was so easy,any1 with a 10th grade education should know everything on that test like the back of their hand. I'm taking it again.i was a little unprepared for it my first time and only made like an 75 or something.

i dont get how they average that out though,since i got a 98-99 in everything but shop and arithmatic reasoning.

Make sure you get your citzenship before you apply to USUHS. That is a very very VERY good school. Its the West Point of Military Medical schools. I'm impressed. I've seen you've done your research. My current program is through USUHS, but my residency is through Brooke Army Medical Center. I'm surpised you actually know what it is. I think you'll do fine.

Wow Chosen I did not know you was commissioned, unlike you I spent 3 years active 5 years reserve (enlisted). Six months of life was in Iraq. I got out went to school which was paid for by the goverment and today I do not regret what I did when I was in. If I knew what I did now, I probably would have stayed in for 20 years.

Guest Fohacidal

Just called up my recruiting station in Texas after having fallen off of the face of the planet for like 5 months and they all still remember me. They dont get enough warrant officer candidates through there I guess D:

Well see, I learn something new every day. I didn't realize you were commissioned. Tiny picture makes your insignia invisible.

Thats my pic from the ROTC notable alumni page for the class of 2004.

http://armyrotc.com/edu/austinpeay/alumni.htm

Wow Chosen I did not know you was commissioned, unlike you I spent 3 years active 5 years reserve (enlisted). Six months of life was in Iraq. I got out went to school which was paid for by the goverment and today I do not regret what I did when I was in. If I knew what I did now, I probably would have stayed in for 20 years.

I've been in for 6 years, but as long as they keep giving me free degrees I'll stay. The pay is good and life is simple. I did a tour as the CIO of an Army hospital in GA. That gave me a small glimpse of civilian life....I didn't like it. Hell, I'll do 30 years if they let me.

Just called up my recruiting station in Texas after having fallen off of the face of the planet for like 5 months and they all still remember me. They dont get enough warrant officer candidates through there I guess D:

So when are they shipping you off to basic?

Guest Fohacidal
Thats my pic from the ROTC notable alumni page for the class of 2004.

http://armyrotc.com/edu/austinpeay/alumni.htm

I've been in for 6 years, but as long as they keep giving me free degrees I'll stay. The pay is good and life is simple. I did a tour as the CIO of an Army hospital in GA. That gave me a small glimpse of civilian life....I didn't like it. Hell, I'll do 30 years if they let me.

So when are they shipping you off to basic?

Well I have to

A. Go back to see the board of officers

and

B. Sign my papers

So I dont know, all I do know is I will be making 2 flights to texas within the forseeable future

If you don't know off the top of your head or if you aren't interested in looking up the answer... don't. I just wanted to assess my options after school so I am wondering of the viability of a few options.

Are there any series of steps to take in order to work in more technical areas of the military? As in, doing research towards weapons, systems, and anything military related while still being enlisted/whatever to be considered part of the armed forces so much to start working towards http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/retired-pay/military-retired-pay-overview . Doing research in to military applications is fairly interesting stuff, and right now I want to see if I can do it within the military, or just as an independent contractor through SBIR/STTR. The tipping point is pretty much at which point I can retire and the military retirement program is pretty sweet.

If you don't know off the top of your head or if you aren't interested in looking up the answer... don't. I just wanted to assess my options after school so I am wondering of the viability of a few options.

Are there any series of steps to take in order to work in more technical areas of the military? As in, doing research towards weapons, systems, and anything military related while still being enlisted/whatever to be considered part of the armed forces so much to start working towards http://www.military.com/benefits/military-pay/retired-pay/military-retired-pay-overview . Doing research in to military applications is fairly interesting stuff, and right now I want to see if I can do it within the military, or just as an independent contractor through SBIR/STTR. The tipping point is pretty much at which point I can retire and the military retirement program is pretty sweet.

Most RND is done by contactors, but the Ordnance Corps does the rest of the RND. However, the technical areas are performed by warrant officers and officers. More so on the warrant side. The Army does its own medical research, but that’s not what you're looking for. I don’t know the warrant officer equivalent of an ordnance officer, but this is the closest I can find to what you described.

http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=307

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnance_Corps_(United_States_Army)

Excuse the Necro but i have a question.

Do you ever fear dying?

Being in the army does increase the chance so I was wondering.

It’s cool, I'd rather have one continuous thread than 100 threads asking the same question. Plus the info is consolidated.

Did I ever fear dying?

Yes, but not in a traditional sense. I have lots of stories, but one sticks out in particular (I'll try to keep it as short as possible). I was the MEDEVAC Officer for East Baghdad/ Sadr City and one of the local Sheiks needed assistance. His daughter was sick so my team went to investigate. Long story short, his daughter's leg had gangrene. Here’s the scary part. I told the interpreter we needed to take his daughter to the surgical hospital and remove her leg or she'll die. Some shit just doesn't translate well.

He heard: The Americans are going to take your daughter away to their base and chop off her leg and she might live after they're done with her. FML......I can laugh about it now, but the "OH SHIT" factor was high.

Does being in the Army increase your chance of dying?

All the "go to war" services have an equal chance. I think you want to know what MOS's (jobs) have a higher casualty rate. I'm sure there’s a stat somewhere you can pull, but I'll give you personal experience from the hundreds of MEDEVACs I've performed.

1. NG/ Reserve MPs

2. Field Artillery

3. Armor

4. Infantry

5. Pick One

It’s cool, I'd rather have one continuous thread than 100 threads asking the same question. Plus the info is consolidated.

Did I ever fear dying?

Yes, but not in a traditional sense. I have lots of stories, but one sticks out in particular (I'll try to keep it as short as possible). I was the MEDEVAC Officer for East Baghdad/ Sadr City and one of the local Sheiks needed assistance. His daughter was sick so my team went to investigate. Long story short, his daughter's leg had gangrene. Here’s the scary part. I told the interpreter we needed to take his daughter to the surgical hospital and remove her leg or she'll die. Some shit just doesn't translate well.

He heard: The Americans are going to take your daughter away to their base and chop off her leg and she might live after they're done with her. FML......I can laugh about it now, but the "OH SHIT" factor was high.

Does being in the Army increase your chance of dying?

All the "go to war" services have an equal chance. I think you want to know what MOS's (jobs) have a higher casualty rate. I'm sure there’s a stat somewhere you can pull, but I'll give you personal experience from the hundreds of MEDEVACs I've performed.

1. NG/ Reserve MPs

2. Field Artillery

3. Armor

4. Infantry

5. Pick One

Hmmm... Infantry.

I heard Air Force paygrade was better >_> this true?

Cuz I'm pretty much garenteed military life now T_T (Renegade's High School life: "lol whats homeworks :D?)

I have some minor piloting experience and have jumped out of planes before(twice! :o I was drunk first time >_>)

plus when I picture the military branches in my head This is what ocmes to mind:

Air Force v.s. Army: Plane v.s. Infantry .... Plane wins

Air Force v.s. Marines: Plane v.s. slightly less geared but more buff infantry..... plane wins again

Air Force v.s. Navy: Plane v.s. boat.....Plane blows up boat...plane wins

But yeah...will be enlisting within 2-3 weeks form now I need money for college T_T and if my combat skills match my CSS skills ima get shot and die T_T

Guest Fohacidal
I heard Air Force paygrade was better >_> this true?

Cuz I'm pretty much garenteed military life now T_T (Renegade's High School life: "lol whats homeworks :D?)

I have some minor piloting experience and have jumped out of planes before(twice! :o I was drunk first time >_>)

plus when I picture the military branches in my head This is what ocmes to mind:

Air Force v.s. Army: Plane v.s. Infantry .... Plane wins

Air Force v.s. Marines: Plane v.s. slightly less geared but more buff infantry..... plane wins again

Air Force v.s. Navy: Plane v.s. boat.....Plane blows up boat...plane wins

But yeah...will be enlisting within 2-3 weeks form now I need money for college T_T and if my combat skills match my CSS skills ima get shot and die T_T

If you want to fly planes join the Navy (Marines), if you want to fly helicopters join the Army. If you want a desk job for sure join the Air Force.