Sign in to follow this  
Anonymous

College

i plan on majoring in computer science, computer engineering, network engineer, or even network security.

i love building computers and working with them, along with networking and learning about it. Ive also done my fair share of i guess you could say "hacking" and things of those such. i gave up on all that just because i got lazy and just didnt feel like doing it anymore. if you dont believe me, blaze will vouch me, and jarid (fadex one).

Engineering.

If you like any type of engineering get into that. I have said this else where but engineer's are in huge demand, especially since all the baby boomers a retiring. Depends what specialization in engineering you do, but you can make a pretty good salary. Oh and you'll never get bored being an engineer.

I agree, engineers are high in demand. I'm looking to either major in Software Engineering or CS but both are high in demand. Before deciding what jobs are out there, you should persue something you personally want to. My father for example wants me to do photography but i hate it with a passion. I perfer working with computers and people cuz i'm good at it and enjoy it. If life goes the way i plan, i will get out of college with a job in some sort of engineering or something to do with computers (besides a repairman... (; ) Go for what you love to do the most but always have a back up incase it doesn't go the way u planned. I hope this helps.

i plan on majoring in computer science, computer engineering, network engineer, or even network security.

i love building computers and working with them, along with networking and learning about it. Ive also done my fair share of i guess you could say "hacking" and things of those such. i gave up on all that just because i got lazy and just didnt feel like doing it anymore. if you dont believe me, blaze will vouch me, and jarid (fadex one).

if you need to say "if you don't believe me" which i dont :P and you cant provide news articles or tagged sites or anything other than "other wannabes" it doesn't count!

anyhow, you may want to narrow those options down, those are all pretty intense, although, once (if) you go to grad school, you can use the same route i took and do something like information technology with an emphasis (or graduate certificate) in network security or something...

make sure whichever path you take is from an acred college AND an acred program. Network engineering is extremely math intensive (so much so, you will be 1 or 2 classes from a BS in math) this is assuming you take it at a reputable school (ucla, mit, berkeley, etc)

OH and also, remember to ask people what type of classes they took when they say they're compsci majors :D alot of information systems guys will try to claim the esteemed titles of computer science... it isn't true. You'll see when you start your program.

Something they won't tell you. The people that manage the computer geeks make more money than the geeks themselves. However, you gotta do what makes you happy. As a CIO for a major area hospital, I have a staff of over 30 programmers, IA Techs, and Help Desk Techs. If your goal is to make money AND you want to stay in the computer field, the endgame is Information Technology Management.

Do a 4 year in the military, did wonders for so many of the people I know. All of which are extremely successful in civilian life now.

It'll help you plan your future like you don't even know. I have one friend who was a football player and a b/c average student in high school go into cryptographic analysis and makes a boat load of cash on the outside working for Norton.

I have another friend who was always interested in cars, and is now a diesel mechanic, he pulls in ~90k a year working on high powered generators for power grids.

I wish I joined when I had the chance, unfortuantly I'm no longer in any position to join due to responsibilities I have in life right now.

Once you see your friends do it, you'll regret you didn't. Trust me.

+1

Joining the military can benefit a person in ways unimaginable. Being in the military doesnt even mean you have to see battle. If you want to do criminal justice, you can be a MP. If you dont know what to do, join the military. It opens up options for your future.

I say you go for it, Cause your Just going to Kick yourself if you dont...

Im Going to chichester Collage In UK To do uniform Services

if you need to say "if you don't believe me" which i dont :P and you cant provide news articles or tagged sites or anything other than "other wannabes" it doesn't count!

anyhow, you may want to narrow those options down, those are all pretty intense, although, once (if) you go to grad school, you can use the same route i took and do something like information technology with an emphasis (or graduate certificate) in network security or something...

make sure whichever path you take is from an acred college AND an acred program. Network engineering is extremely math intensive (so much so, you will be 1 or 2 classes from a BS in math) this is assuming you take it at a reputable school (ucla, mit, berkeley, etc)

OH and also, remember to ask people what type of classes they took when they say they're compsci majors :D alot of information systems guys will try to claim the esteemed titles of computer science... it isn't true. You'll see when you start your program.

What do you major in?

What do you major in?

i thought that was fairly clear :P

my undergrad major was computer science with a concentration in internet and web technology, minor in military science.

my grad school major was in information technology management with an emphasis in web services security. I'm working on a second master's in network engineering with an emphasis in terretrial communications.

I'm so stressed about college, and I don't even know what I should major in. I was planning to major in Criminal Justice but yet I'm not so sure if I should do it since I have a record when I was a juvenile. My Lawyer, Judge, and my Probation Officer said that my records are going to be seal after I'm 18, but I asked other resources that if I want to be a cop or any law enforcement stuff they are going to be very strict on me and check out my back ground and stuff. So I'm just wonder what else should I major in besides Criminal Justice? I was thinking about Mechanic Engineer or Business. Blah HELP ME OUT HERE!

Are they felony's?

If all you have is misdemeanors, you should be fine, but if you have a couple felonys under your belt the only thing you will be able to get in is being a lawyer, because apparently prosecuting and defending is okay to do when you have a felony.

Then again, because you are not 18, if they seal your documents, no one should be able to look at them no matter who they are.

Are they felony's?

If all you have is misdemeanors, you should be fine, but if you have a couple felonys under your belt the only thing you will be able to get in is being a lawyer, because apparently prosecuting and defending is okay to do when you have a felony.

Then again, because you are not 18, if they seal your documents, no one should be able to look at them no matter who they are.

No such thing as a sealed record. BIG BROTHER SEES ALL!

No such thing as a sealed record. BIG BROTHER SEES ALL!

yah.. chosenone's sealed record said he was black... when he joined the army... they already knew... so wtf... they of course checked his sealed records.

collages are every expensive and community collages or less

very true! I actually went to night classes at a community college during my senior yr of highschool... it was extremely cheap (not anymore...) i paid 28$/credit hour took 1 class every 8 weeks for a year... my fast food job covered it fine :) (of course, being in HS i ate and lived for free with the 'rents)