Sign in to follow this  
niC-

Garry's Mod Servers

So as some of you may know, Cheesecake and I have been pushing for Garry's Mod servers for a while. We normally tried talking with the JCS over Xfire but that got us no where. So we're making this thread in hopes of getting your support. This in turn will hopefully turn our idea into a consideration for the JCS and ultimately get UV some Garry's Mod servers.

noat: from now on, 'we' wil meen me and cheesecak

Garry's Mod, for those of you who don't know, is a $10 sandbox game based off of the source engine. So you have to have a source-engine game installed such as Half Life 2 for this game to work. There isn't a predefined goal, you just do whatever you want. You can do pretty much anything, and by anything, I mean anything. You're pretty much limited to your imagination and skill. There are tons of Garry's Mod videos on YouTube.

Originally, we hoped to get FTP access to these servers. Reason being is, if we didn't, we'd be sending in a constant barrage of requests to the JCS. They would eventually get angry with us and probably say, "Fuck you" and things wouldn't turn out so well. It takes a bit of work and tweaking to set them up. Then after that you're kind of constantly refreshing the server with new/updated addons. So it's basically a continually evolving thing.

We previously owned 3 servers for about six months; a 10-slot regular build server, 16-slot Fight to Survive server, and another 16-slot replacement for the original Fight to Survive server. I'd say they were fairly successful. Our Fight to Survive server reached Rank 54 out of about 2000 before I pulled the plug on it. We're not noobs at this and we know what we're doing. So you guys could trust us.

So anyway, we're just basically requesting a couple Garry's Mod servers with FTP access to Cheesecake and I.

I'm hoping for a:

10-slot build server (Build is bascially what it says... a peaceful server where you build stuff.)

EDIT: 16?or-so-slot Fretta server (Multiple gamemodes in one. GMDM is included.)

Possibly a 16-slot Fight to Survive server. (FTS is mixture of build and deathmatch. You could call it Fort Wars.)

And you know.. a while back UV was expanding to other games. So why not Garry's Mod?

If you have any questions and the like, ask away.

tl;dr version:

Garry's Mod servers pl0x.

Here are a few things that I've built/made over the past year or so.

Some DM arena Cheesecake and I set up

25e50b07aaff2c70d1770d58f84c44d9da5a0786.jpg

It almost worked... my differential sucked :/

f357fd73110f1c07eec4afa97b64c91f77d2b31d.jpg

Big Bessie and Little Bessie; forklifts

cdf068156d04d728e952068c294a07b6d4b611b3.jpg

One of my functional Inline-2 engines

c4a236e4cd338d474af4f064839ce85c44c1f76c.jpg

Beginning of my V-Twin

acf567496608f6e91721c0b268a6292f53557c5b.jpg

Stage that I built for Kelso

5bcb9667710ef9fc96e190358fa8ebaf1d66e756.jpg

Some more...

Spiral of Awesome

72d239079a941d2b5dc92e6302bc73096c1c3efb.jpg

Zeus and I got a little bored one night...

cd6714d87412b5708059901a99c095c0c56518c3.jpg

Another stage that I built for Kelso

07f9b19c8a22c72baf1703ffe6ce9ad2e5d9bf8c.jpg

Burning cage of babies with Clay inside

b2dfd5b3307d3d48cc32b9c026ac3cc19d220c00.jpg

A little treefort

1f7f1ef361b0023e3e3dbee2807c48bf67432c00.jpg

Hardcore APC (Okay, my idea for the suspension was based off of Zeus')

c782b78ff590393d1990bf3766682d9ae285a9e8.jpg

My very first truck... with 4-wheel steering

139a4b321d4e1862e084a1ffdec203a1d82a252e.jpg

Epic house that some guy built

0915f9ce26223ed7b9a94d691b1acac9a717a494.jpg

The 'girl' was actually supposed to be a space ship/docking station for the penis.

The balls didn't fit.. so it was fail.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mortifer Fain @ May 31 2009, 04:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

is the difference between gmod 9 and 10 all that grate?

Considering most addons (which are probably going to be like 50% of the content) are mostly made for Gmod10, I'd say it's pretty necessary you get Gmod 10. Plus, there's no new updates for GM9 I believe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UltimateOreo @ May 31 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Go to the bottom and click the View Steam Players Per Game

The community support for GMOD simply isn't there. There's a small portion of people who might play it, but there's no future in it.

Trust me, the community is there.

http://www.facepunch.com/index.php

That's the Garry's Mod forums, it has one of the largest community bases in the world. It's in the top 100. I'd say the community is there.

*Clears throat, coughs*

Now to start Gmod 10 is probably the most creative and fun game I've ever played. It has massive communitys and so much playability you could fuck around for hours doing anything really. I mean you saw Zeus and the other guy make a massive penis spaceship! Anywho Gmod also has a shitload of script mods likeee

Flood Mod

Wire Mod

Darkrp

Lightrp

Tacoscript

Tacoscrip2

etc

etc

etc

Theres building, pirate ship wars(Drivable massive pirate ships that ram into eachother with cannons and such), The role-play servers on it are intense and yet I still haven't scratched the surface of how many oppurtunitys there are on gmod10.

Yes... It's all going according to plan...

For your viewing pleasure:

<div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irPrpw8EEeQ&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irPrpw8EEeQ&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

Guest formerlyaeth

Before I started playing CSS again, I was a big expression 2 freak

Alot of vector e2s that followed me around and killed people were made.

I say we get one, i'd like to show off my wire skills with some other UV members.

Made a slight edit to my post.

Instead of a GMDM-only server.. we'll just use the whole Fretta gamemode. It's a bunch of gamemodes that can be voted for at the end of a round and GMDM is one of them.

I just played on a Fretta server with Kelso for a little and it's amazing.

I would support the server 100% I played with the guys before I was in UV. The servers are ALWAYS populate its fucking annoying to try to get on when there's a limited number of slots. Its probably has the most shit for for the penny. I back this up.

hey, I've actually hosted my own dedicated server quite a few times in the past 3 months or so now :). It even allowed cracked players (people with downlaoded gmod) to join the fun.

Things it contains:

-SVN PHX3

-SVN WIRE

-some other tools (no collide multi, and all the usefull welding tools etc etc

-I take requests easily. (just ask is all you realllly need to do... really.)

But' I'd be happy to put my servers on for like 48 hours, and let it take a break then put it back up for another 48 hours... reallly I don't mind.

the only things I can't do atm, is create my own gamemodes.. like literally.. sure ican steal them from other's I just can't program my own =P if you can... THAT'D BE AWESOME... TOTALLy.