Sign in to follow this  
trav

sG | OSCARS Nominations 2018/2019

8 hours ago, Beerman said:

What racial boundary was broken? 

It's the highest grossing film by a black director. The cast is predominately black. First black superhero with their own movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. We can go on and on about the racial boundaries that were broken.

1 hour ago, Mr. Big Shot said:

It's the highest grossing film by a black director. The cast is predominately black. First black superhero with their own movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. We can go on and on about the racial boundaries that were broken.

Look I know that it is somewhat narrow minded of me, but it is a Marvel movie...MEANING that it would be almost guaranteed to become the highest grossing film by *insert minority group here*. It is a Marvel movie, and Marvel movies are designed from the ground up to sell. Black panther was not the best super hero movie to come out in the past decade, much less the past year. However, that is just my humble opinion.

By the way, this is not really me disagreeing with whether or not any racial boundaries were broken. More of a sidebar stating that the Marvel properties are just a license to print money for Disney.

Edited by chaos4499

36 minutes ago, chaos4499 said:

Look I know that it is somewhat narrow minded of me, but it is a Marvel movie...MEANING that it would be almost guaranteed to become the highest grossing film by *insert minority group here*. It is a Marvel movie, and Marvel movies are designed from the ground up to sell. Black panther was not the best super hero movie to come out in the past decade, much less the past year. However, that is just my humble opinion.

By the way, this is not really me disagreeing with whether or not any racial boundaries were broken. More of a sidebar stating that the Marvel properties are just a license to print money for Disney.

Marvel and Disney didn't have to have a black person direct the movie. They didn't have to make it an almost all black cast. They chose to do this and to use that platform to push the envelope.

You don't even have to like the movie but Black Panther meant a lot for so many black people across the country with everything that has been going on that it goes above and beyond any numbers or money that the movie makes. Not trying to change the thread into something that wasn't intended as it was meant to be a fun thread. It's just something for everyone to think about in that it was another step towards equality.

10 hours ago, Mr. Big Shot said:

Only the black director part is that ground breaking. All black casts are not new and I dont think Marvel deciding to not reboot blade is good enough. 

Regardless, none of that makes it a good enough movie worthy of best picture. Same for bohemian rhapsody frankly

7 hours ago, Mr. Big Shot said:

You don't even have to like the movie but Black Panther meant a lot for so many black people across the country

Sounds like pandering more than an actual movie worthy of best picture. And trust me when I say I am a marvel stan fuckboy, but BP is not black panther worthy. Thanos was a better villian 

Edited by Beerman

Nominations Close Tomorrow.

List of Movies so far:

• Ready Player One
  • BlacKkKlansman
  • Incredibles 2
  • Mission Impossible: Fallout
  • Black Panther
  • Hereditary
  • First Man
  • A Quiet Place
  • Spider-Man: Into The Spider Verse
  • Bad Times at the El Royale
  • Dragon Ball: Broly
  • MANDY
  • Halloween
  • The Mule

1 hour ago, Beerman said:

Regardless, none of that makes it a good enough movie worthy of best picture.

I never said it was going to win best picture. It was my personal favorite movie of 2018 but I didn't see a lot. It's more about people wondering why it was nominated. It was a given that Black Panther was going to be nominated based off of numbers and records alone.

We shall see what actually wins.

3 hours ago, Travesty said:

Nominations Close Tomorrow.

List of Movies so far:

• Ready Player One
  • BlacKkKlansman
  • Incredibles 2
  • Mission Impossible: Fallout
  • Black Panther
  • Hereditary
  • First Man
  • A Quiet Place
  • Spider-Man: Into The Spider Verse
  • Bad Times at the El Royale
  • Dragon Ball: Broly
  • MANDY
  • Halloween
  • The Mule

With so many options, will there be a way to vote for 2-3 or will this be a standard poll.

1 minute ago, chaos4499 said:

With so many options, will there be a way to vote for 2-3 or will this be a standard poll.

Yeah I think we'll do a ranking system 1.  2.  3. with Top spot getting 3 points, 2nd getting 2pts and 3rd getting only 1pt.

REMEMBER THE PEOPLE THAT NOMINATED ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO WILL VOTE ON THE MOVIE WE WILL WATCH TOGETHER BEFORE THE OSCARS.

9 hours ago, Mr. Big Shot said:

I never said it was going to win best picture. It was my personal favorite movie of 2018 but I didn't see a lot. It's more about people wondering why it was nominated. It was a given that Black Panther was going to be nominated based off of numbers and records alone.

We shall see what actually wins.

I wasnt talking about winning. Frankly it's not good enough for a nomination either. Also Infinity War made double than what Black Panther made nor is that ever a factor for best picture nominations anyways. 

Infinity War. 

THE VOTES ARE IN.

The judges awarded BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE as our movie pick for the sG | Oscar Movie Night!

We will pick a date in February before the Oscars for us to watch!

What date would you like best?

• Saturday, February 16th
  • Saturday, February 23rd

List of Movies:

Ready Player One - 8 points

BlacKkKlansman - 7 points

Incredibles 2 - 6 points

Mission Impossible: Fallout - 3 points

Black Panther - 8 points

Hereditary - 3 points

First Man

A Quiet Place - 7 points