Sign in to follow this  
Dakka

New Forum: Programmer's Corner

The reason I feel like this addition would make sense is because of how out of place it is in any of the forums.

So if there was a programming-specific forum, it could look something like this:

Example pinned posts:

• sG Programming Megathread - Links to programs/source codes made by sG members
  • Getting Started with <Enter Programming Language Here> - Tutorial on getting started with <Enter Programming Language Here> along with tips and tricks
  • Forum-specific Rules and Guidelines - (I'm down to make the post if this goes through)

Example unpinned posts:

• Help me with my counting program!
  • I'm making a game
  • Why language A is better than language B
  • Which IDE is best for what I want to do?

It definitely won't see as much action as the other forums, but programming isn't exactly a general topic like movies or music and deserves its own little space.

(I also don't expect a ton of support for this, but i want to at least make an attempt FeelsGoodMan)

2 hours ago, Swed said:

While I like the idea, there are numerous other resources and websites dedicated to exactly this. 

This is true. However, it's not the main reason to create a programming area of the forums.

If I were to post another program in the Pub, it wouldn't take very long for it to disappear from the first page.

Whereas in a programming specific forum, I could:

• Make a post
  • Make sure it follows guidelines
  • Request it get added to the stickied Megathread or collection or whatever

Then anyone browsing the programming forum looking for programming things could find the megathread and search for anything they're interested in.

And as an addition, all of these programs would be made by sG members as we would have no reason to pull from other resources.

So what do you say to that?

A forum section specifically for sG creativity in programming form, where anyone coming onto our forum could see and possibly partake in.

You know I like the idea because I could have my stuff moved there and anyone looking for it could easily find it there :).

19 hours ago, Dakka said:

Example pinned posts:

• sG Programming Megathread - Links to programs/source codes made by sG members
  • Getting Started with <Enter Programming Language Here> - Tutorial on getting started with <Enter Programming Language Here> along with tips and tricks
  • Forum-specific Rules and Guidelines - (I'm down to make the post if this goes through)

Example unpinned posts:

• Help me with my counting program!
  • I'm making a game
  • Why language A is better than language B
  • Which IDE is best for what I want to do?

Everything I've highlighted in red would be better answered by a cursory google search than anyone here could answer.

I just don't personally see the necessity of a dedicated subforum. If someone else on staff does, Im sure they'd be welcome to add it.

Edited by Swed