Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TotesMagoats

Well..

11 hours ago, Beerman said:

It's a shame anytime anybody good leaves the community, but I just feel like there was an attempt at a rousing goodbye speech but nothing of substance was said. Lotta words with no clear message. I can't tell if this is a bamboozle goodbye or a serious step down peace out thread...

No bamboozle, but it's also not my own speech (; 

I will chat with you though. 

Just now, TotesMagoats said:

it's also not my own speech (; 

I KNEW I RECOGNIZED IT.... damn it!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/11/barack-obamas-farewell-speech-full/

It’s good to be home.  My fellow Americans, Michelle and I have been so touched by all the well-wishes we’ve received over the past few weeks.  But tonight it’s my turn to say thanks.  Whether we’ve seen eye-to-eye or rarely agreed at all, my conversations with you, the American people – in living rooms and schools; at farms and on factory floors; at diners and on distant outposts – are what have kept me honest, kept me inspired, and kept me going.  Every day, I learned from you.  You made me a better President, and you made me a better man.

I first came to Chicago when I was in my early twenties, still trying to figure out who I was; still searching for a purpose to my life.  It was in neighborhoods not far from here where I began working with church groups in the shadows of closed steel mills.  It was on these streets where I witnessed the power of faith, and the quiet dignity of working people in the face of struggle and loss.  This is where I learned that change only happens when ordinary people get involved, get engaged, and come together to demand it.   

After eight years as your President, I still believe that.  And it’s not just my belief.  It’s the beating heart of our American idea – our bold experiment in self-government.