Sign in to follow this  
Rootbeer

Legendary system concept

Hiya guys, thought I'd share an idea that I was hyped about working on. I'm calling it the Legendary system, modeled similarly to World of Warcraft's legendary equipment system. Equipping a Legendary will alter a race in a way slightly, much like an expertise. Unlike expertise though, you can acquire and store a currency called Shards in order to unlock a Legendary and potentially have one unlocked for a race you have at level 0. Each race will have a handful of Legendaries; I'm thinking 3 each for starters. Players are limited to one Legendary item equipped at a time.

The main way of acquiring a Legendary would be simply playing the game: obtaining a kill (higher chance if headshot) or planting/defusing/hostaging/winning the round/healing as Trinity+Holy Paladin+Priest will each have a very small % to obtain a random Legendary. A smaller chance will give you a Shard instead, which will allow you to pick which Legendary you get. Shards could be given away freely every 500 total levels or so. Mabey a present could even drop at a low chance on kill similar to eggs/pumpkins, which yield either a legendary or a Shard. Crazy freeforall rush for the loot!

Here's some quick visuals. The Legendaries menu will be brought up by typing "legendary" into chat, similar to changerace.

Spoiler

Dd7x7a9.png

Then, selecting a race will reveal you the Legendary available to it and what each does. Selecting the Artifact will then equip it if you have it and then close the menu (similar to picking a race). Here's an example screen of someone who owns two Undead Scourge Legendaries(notice the third is greyed out because he doesn't have it -- if he had a Shard then the text would be red and selecting it would consume the shard and unlock it for him).

Spoiler

cENj84l.png

pls note that actual legendaries may be stronger or weaker than listed ones, these are merely examples. some possible legendaries could even change ultimates!

I like the system for two reasons. One: It adds another layer of depth into the game, something else to strive for when killing people. Currently, the two things players can obtain by playing the game are server rank and levels -- this adds another reward system to constantly fuel that desire for dopamine.

Two: The system will certainly add a small level of powercreep but will be a great way to finetune older races into importance and we'll finally see some races being played again. Additionally, it adds a small level of customization into the game. Our diehard Trickster Assassin or Shadow Lurker fans can choose which route they want to specialize in to suit their playstyles.

The shard system also allows additional p a y 2 w i n options in addition to our current ones. Supporters can have an increased drop rate for legendaries. Players could also flatout buy Shards, similar to buying credits for other our pay2win servers like JB and ZE. We're gonna be rich.

Please share thoughts! I was excited to work on the system myself but wanted to create a race first in order to prove to myself that I could code. I'm busy & putting it off for now but if anyone wants to start refining/working on this (if greenlit by Engies), go right ahead. We could also have a War3 event to kickstart the system with increased drop rates for the duration of the event. Events are always fun.

I love the idea, but wouldn't this have the same effect that the hero idea had. The better players will be able to have legendaries active more often than shittier players. New people may be off of because of this.

Let's see where this good. Perhaps this would make Thor god-tier. And give Link psuedo-expertise even at 250.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bear-Man-Thing said:

I love the idea, but wouldn't this have the same effect that the hero idea had. The better players will be able to have legendaries active more often than shittier players.

It's true that playing more means having more legendaries but I don't think having more will mean much imo, mainly because you're limited to one per race. It's simply a small buff to a race's theme. If anything, I feel like adding the system will maintain a new player's interest in the mod as they'll want to strive for a legendary for themselves once they learn about them.

Balance-wise, I wanted to keep it around the same level as WoW's. It felt good to duel people who had legendaries while not having any yourself and win, especially knowing they have better stats/gear. It's what I prided myself on back when I played.

I'm torn.

Again it seems like it would be a cool system to have for an event. Maybe even make it save so it could be an annual legendary farm week or something.

I understand that the ones you listed are just an example, but that would be strong as fuck to have an impale on Scourge. I suppose Undead Lord already has a respawn, but yea.

That's not the criticism you're looking for.

It would be nice to have something listed though. Expertises are fine and great, but god damn if I'm tired of hearing, "What's this one?" "Does that race have one?" "When is it?"

So having something like this people could earn might be a nice distraction.

I was wondering if you could explain the drop rate or whatever a bit more clearly. I'm having some trouble understanding it.

Adding just 2 legendaries for every race would take a 1-2 week long coding binge, not including the week it'd take to create the legendary system. Also if they were all added at once they'd be super boring. Itd take a lot of effort and thought to create something unique. An argument could be made to make all the first ones from the expertise and just remove expertise, but that's probably a bad idea for a few reasons, the main one being "I already earned this, why do I have to earn it again". Something about stacking legendaries with expertise seems like a bad idea. Imagine if orc had a good legendary on top of what it already has.

I don't know. I like the idea. If it was me I'd make it really, really rare. I'm thinking 1 legendary per 2 weeks if you are regular. Maybe 1 shard a month.

Selling shards seems easy but also kinda like a bad idea. If they were sold, I'd be tempted to say $10 each. If legendaries existed, it needs to be rare, and to make farming worth it it'd have to demand a high price tag. However, that really feels p2w. What if you could buy expertise? Seems dumb.

I have mixed feelings, but I really appreciate the thought put into the idea

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Personally again while i like the idea in general i don't feel like it will fit with the server. As face pointed out when you add expertise's with legendary s - and the amount of work that would be needed to do this - for the "benefit" of a chance at making certain things OP / People to complain. It doesn't seem like a good trade off  IMO.

But i do like people having ideas and sharing for the wc3 server.

Keep up the good work!

So basically you obtain/buy "shards" to unlock "legendaries" to add onto a race, which acts as a bonus expertise for that particular race? That's awesome! +1humanalliance

I'm all for it! :D

I don't mind the p2w aspect of shards, as it provides a way of maintaining the quality of the servers (128tic, up24/7nocrashespls)

And honestly it doesn't even sound that p2w, since you still have to aim and shoot in csgo unlike in an mmorpg or w.e

Maybe instead of having unique list of legendaries for each class, there could be a generalized list of legendaries (like shopmenu, including certain restricted legendaries for specific classes, so its not op af) that is accessible by all classes, and you create skill combinations off of that. (less work involved?)

And lets say the legendary could go off of an tier based system and the better the legendary is, the more shards it will cost to unlock it.

I think the legendary system concept would definitely freshen up the way war3 is currently played, you could further customize your most played classes and have it optimized to the way you prefer it.
enablebhoplegendaryskill2017

So basically you obtain/buy "shards" to unlock "legendaries" to add onto a race, which acts as a bonus expertise for that particular race? That's awesome! +1humanalliance

I'm all for it!

I don't mind the p2w aspect of shards, as it provides a way of maintaining the quality of the servers (128tic, up24/7nocrashespls)
And honestly it doesn't even sound that p2w, since you still have to aim and shoot in csgo unlike in an mmorpg or w.e

Maybe instead of having unique list of legendaries for each class, there could be a generalized list of legendaries (like shopmenu, including certain restricted legendaries for specific classes, so its not op af) that is accessible by all classes, and you create skill combinations off of that. (less work involved?)
And lets say the legendary could go off of an tier based system and the better the legendary is, the more shards it will cost to unlock it.

I think the legendary system concept would definitely freshen up the way war3 is currently played, you could further customize your most played classes and have it optimized to the way you prefer it.
enablebhoplegendaryskill2017

I think I might be more in favor of a global list of legendary items that has some restrictions on it. But, while it is easier to do, it's much less customizable (e.g. Cant modify specific skills, has to be broad effects), so that part I dislike.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk