Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dawn

Hacked steam - Apologies

Hey I just wanted to create a topic to kind of say sorry to anyone in general who was on my friends list if someone said anything funky or odd. I was hacked but had no idea till my real life friends started texting asking what the hell my problem was. They erased my whole friend list, stole steam wallet money and tried to sell my csgo guns. Anyhow, Just wanted to make this post to say sorry to anyone and I have made  my account more protected. If you were on my friends list and want to be re added let me know.

Just now, TheAAAngel said:

That sucks. How much money did you lose?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

about 20 bucks. Also caused 3 friends to block me so welp.

about 20 bucks. Also caused 3 friends to block me so welp.

Damn that sucks. How did they hack u? Did they know ur password?(by they I mean hacker).

Damn that sucks. How did they hack u? Did they know ur password?(by they I mean hacker).

They must have. It wasn't a very strong one. Didn't have steam guard. I had a list of passwords on my comp. Had issues getting into one of my emails earlier but just reset the password.. Didn't think much of it at the time. 

They must have. It wasn't a very strong one. Didn't have steam guard. I had a list of passwords on my comp. Had issues getting into one of my emails earlier but just reset the password.. Didn't think much of it at the time. 

U have a list of passwords on computer. If that's not bad enough u don't have steam guard and ur password is weak. If U want use mine: demigodrapper12. (It's a joke in case your wondering).

U have a list of passwords on computer. If that's not bad enough u don't have steam guard and ur password is weak. If U want use mine: demigodrapper12.

thanks but I made it stronger this time... like very long. I added a steam guard now so it will prompt for a code.

thanks but I made it stronger this time... like very long. I added a steam guard now so it will prompt for a code.

Good don't make it too long and memorize it. Don't out a file on ur computer with all ur passwords.

34 minutes ago, TheAAAngel said:

Good don't make it too long and memorize it. Don't out a file on ur computer with all ur passwords.

Or you could use a password manager like keepass or lastpass.  Then you can use strong, random passwords that are unique to each account.

Password reuse is probably the biggest mistake anyone can make.  Trust me on this, I learnt it the hard way too.

More than likely your password was phished, and that password was used across a multitude of different platforms.  Hell, having a text document on your desktop with all the passwords isn't the worst idea, as long as they are all different for each account.  Most of the time your computer isn't actually 'hacked', so people won't have access to your 'password' file anyway, and if they did actually have remote desktop capabilities then you are in for way more issues than just a text file on your desktop, especially later in life when you do things like online banking.

PS: my suggestion is on keepass.

Just now, trigger.exe said:

That explains why you wanted to move into my house and wanted to date....

I'm still waiting for your sisters number...

so the nudes I traded for my knife are fake?

You should get the Steam app on your phone and turn on the 2 factor through the app. If your email gets hacked as well it is very easy to get access to all your other accounts. However, remember to write down and/or save the recovery code somewhere safe!!! Storing in a text document on your computer is not safe for several reasons. Storing in an encrypted password manager like ctark said such as KeePass is much better and then storing that on cloud storage in case your computer goes boom boom.

Just now, centran said:

so the nudes I traded for my knife are fake?

You should get the Steam app on your phone and turn on the 2 factor through the app. If your email gets hacked as well it is very easy to get access to all your other accounts. However, remember to write down and/or save the recovery code somewhere safe!!! Storing in a text document on your computer is not safe for several reasons. Storing in an encrypted password manager like ctark said such as KeePass is much better and then storing that on cloud storage in case your computer goes boom boom.

Ctark the new Clamps confirmed?