Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. NarwhalsNumbNuts IV

PC Building First Time

I'm finally financially able to build a new PC this summer. I'm very excited and I just want to build something that'll run Runescape at 4K Kappa I need it to run almost any current game at 1080p/+, possibly VR, and be relatively future proof. I understand as parts age and new tech/games come out, I'll have to swap out parts. Is this build suitable for that? 

That being said, I'm hoping for a sub $1,000 build, but flexible. I have no previous experience building. Take at look at my PC Part Picker and advise me on what to drop, add, modify.

Thanks for reading! Expect a lot of noob questions. 

If you can afford the extra $200, this is way better

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nCtrBP

You were missing a few things: One being an SSD, do not buy a fucking mechanical drive to have Windows on it. Your computer will be slow as shit.

Second, do not cheap out on a shit case like that, I updated one that is more respectable, however I'd recommend going for a Fractal Design R4 which is around $100.

Third, I upgraded your PSU to a fully modular, which allows you to cable manage better. Should you wish you to keep the current PSU you have, you can.

If the build is still too expensive, you can choose to go down to a 128GB SSD, since it should only be for Windows and high use games. 

Everything else is fine.

Just now, Sean said:

If you can afford the extra $200, this is way better

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nCtrBP

You were missing a few things: One being an SSD, do not buy a fucking mechanical drive to have Windows on it. Your computer will be slow as shit.

Second, do not cheap out on a shit case like that, I updated one that is more respectable, however I'd recommend going for a Fractal Design R4 which is around $100.

Third, I upgraded your PSU to a fully modular, which allows you to cable manage better. Should you wish you to keep the current PSU you have, you can.

If the build is still too expensive, you can choose to go down to a 128GB SSD, since it should only be for Windows and high use games. 

Everything else is fine.

I was thinking the exact same thing with the SSD. I'll look into it. 

I sorta like that case. It looks sweet, and it's cheaper. Is it really paramount to switch it out with something else? Driz's pinned thread recommends saving on the case. 

I read online that modular PSU's can be messed up by dust, or can be fucked up by repeated removing and adding cables. I can go for the middle ground and get the semi modular one, right?

Extremely noob question, but can I just leave the SSD for Windows and leave all of my games on the HDD? It'd cut down on the price. I use an HDD now on my laptop and games are fine on that. I just don't wanna buy more stuff than I need, ya know? Still a pretty frugal person, tbh

Thanks for the input!! I know I asked a couple questions on your recommendations, I'm just curious and not knocking them, jsyk. 

Just now, Dr. NarwhalsNumbNuts IV said:

I sorta like that case. It looks sweet, and it's cheaper. Is it really paramount to switch it out with something else? Driz's pinned thread recommends saving on the case. 

Keep it then, I just feel that cheap cases don't provide you with the luxury of cable management, drive bays, etc.

I read online that modular PSU's can be messed up by dust, or can be fucked up by repeated removing and adding cables. I can go for the middle ground and get the semi modular one, right?

You can definitely go semi modular... I don't really see the benefit of not having a fully modular over not having a modular one at all, if you are careful and keep your shit clean and dust free, you won't have this issue.

Extremely noob question, but can I just leave the SSD for Windows and leave all of my games on the HDD? It'd cut down on the price. I use an HDD now on my laptop and games are fine on that. I just don't wanna buy more stuff than I need, ya know? Still a pretty frugal person, tbh

You can leave your SSD just for Windows, but I recommend putting important programs and most played games on it, simply to reduce loading times and increases general performance.

@Sean I see that you changed the RAM sticks from the 2k to the 3k. Is it that big of a difference to warrant the extra cash?

Honestly just a better brand. More reliable, I prefer reliability.

The speed of the ram is just the maximum frequency. It will be fine running at 2133 if you really need to but you'll see a slight difference in performance. I'd go with the build sean suggested. I ran a first gen i5 3470 quad with 8gb ram and a 128gb ssd with my old radeon HD 7950 up 'till about march of this year and it ran every game I threw at it (at reduced settings b/c old vid card) including rust and bf4. The last month I used it I bought a RX480 and it ran pretty much everything at full.

You'd think a 128gb SSD wouldn't be enough, but it's fine if you just manage how much crap you have installed or downloaded. TBH i'd also spend the extra cash on the samsung sean suggested, that's a good deal

I honestly did not need to build a new machine when I did. Did it just to do it basically.

Okay, thanks velo! I might take a bulk majority of your guys' suggestions. Now, Ethernet ports are standard in mono's right? So there's my wired network adapter. Is there any benefit to add a dedicated module for it? 

As for wireless, dedicated adapter or is the USB adapter adequate? 2.0 vs 3.0 USB? I checked, the parts I have only have a single 3.0 input. Is the performance difference really that significant to warrant essentially permanently plugging a USB slot?

Depending on what you're going for, your options are an internal PCI/PCI-E network card, or a USB-based one like what's on your PCPP list. I'd personally lean towards an internal network card for wifi purposes unless prices are ridiculous for an internal 802.11ac card. If you happen to snap an antenna, they're usually cheap to replace and you can order a dozen at a time. If you snap the dongle, it's probably done for, because you've got a half-inch-deep port holding the entire thing in instead of only having 2-3 antennas exposed in the back

Your friend should stick to his hobbies. You won't be playing stuff at 4k 60fps, but you'll be able to play pretty much anything with a 1070 at 1080p/144 on max or close-to-max settings. As for the internal adapters, that could be a brand thing. I've had good luck with linksys internal cards, but it all depends on whether you install the right drivers with the wireless NIC

I don't see a reason why you put in an i7, unless you're streaming or doing video processing, you don't need it. Switch back to the i5.

You should purchase the thermal paste.. a small tube is sub 10 bucks.

I'd look into the case specs and see what fans are included on it, and if there is room for extra when you get it, then you can just order some... no biggie not getting them from the get go.

On 6/3/2017 at 2:40 AM, Dr. NarwhalsNumbNuts IV said:

I'm finally financially able to build a new PC this summer. I'm very excited and I just want to build something that'll run Runescape at 4K Kappa I need it to run almost any current game at 1080p/+, possibly VR, and be relatively future proof. I understand as parts age and new tech/games come out, I'll have to swap out parts. Is this build suitable for that? 

That being said, I'm hoping for a sub $1,000 build, but flexible. I have no previous experience building. Take at look at my PC Part Picker and advise me on what to drop, add, modify.

Thanks for reading! Expect a lot of noob questions. 

I would get a Ryzen 5 processor if you are going to lower your cpu grade to an i5, many agree that the i5 lineup is largely overshadowed by the more cores/threads that ryzen allows you to have for the same price.

Just now, Atari Breakout said:

I would get a Ryzen 5 processor if you are going to lower your cpu grade to an i5, many agree that the i5 lineup is largely overshadowed by the more cores/threads that ryzen allows you to have for the same price.

Don't buy an amd processor. The drivers alone aren't worth the headaches. I haven't had time to look at your build but @Sean is correct, i5 unless you plan on streaming or doing video editing.

Just now, Swed said:

Don't buy an amd processor. The drivers alone aren't worth the headaches. I haven't had time to look at your build but @Sean is correct, i5 unless you plan on streaming or doing video editing.

Drivers are alot smaller of a problem now, information pulled from LMG, http://www.anandtech.com/show/11244/the-amd-ryzen-5-1600x-vs-core-i5-review-twelve-threads-vs-four/17, its more of a if you want to only game or if you want to stream/do compute things.

1 hour ago, Atari Breakout said:

Drivers are alot smaller of a problem now, information pulled from LMG, http://www.anandtech.com/show/11244/the-amd-ryzen-5-1600x-vs-core-i5-review-twelve-threads-vs-four/17, its more of a if you want to only game or if you want to stream/do compute things.

We've literally already came in here, edited the pcpartpicker and spent time ensuring he has the best build possible.. and all you do is come in and say GET A RYZEN 5. 

Dude, do us all a favor and fuck off. Jesus Christ.

Just now, Sean said:

We've literally already came in here, edited the pcpartpicker and spent time ensuring he has the best build possible.. and all you do is come in and say GET A RYZEN 5. 

Dude, do us all a favor and fuck off. Jesus Christ.

Sean, why are you being so toxic toward me after I clearly apologized to the person yesterday, have no problems with him, and edited all my posts to have a better tone, now you are suggesting that im just an inconsiderate idiot that just puts ryzen 5 everywhere. Was I insulting anyone today? no. Was I arguing my point without any bad tones? Yes. What did you do? "Dude, do us all a favor and fuck off. Jesus Christ.". As I said here:

1 hour ago, Atari Breakout said:

More cores can mean better future proofing as many games are shifting toward supporting more cores efficiently as well as offering a basic higher compute power than a i5 in multi-thread performance. Whats wrong with just putting a 1 sentence saying my opinion with "I would get..." and saying ryzen 5? I also removed the down-reps that I did on him during my lapse yet you come back and set a even worse example bu just flat out saying "fuck you". 

He also says that he would like to play newer games that will be released in the future, more and more games are being released with support for DX12 as well as being more cpu-limited. From anandtech; "For gaming, our DX12 titles show a plus for AMD in any CPU limited scenario, such as Civilization or Rise of the Tomb Raider in certain scenes. For e-Sports, and most games based on DX9 or DX11, the Intel CPU is still a win here. ". The future is more cores, the current is faster speed and upgrading a cpu is much harder than upgrading a graphics card.

I appreciate the input Atari, but I'm more comfortable with Intel. I'm leaning more i7 than i5 because I might do some recordings. Maybe not ever stream live, but maybe a side hobby YouTube channel, sure. I'd rather have options than not

I can actually probably get half these parts for da low low.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TsLKVY

Made a couple changes to the general configuration to align with previous suggestions, barring the thermal paste. Arctic Ceramique, Silver 5, or MX-2 are all decent options. With the Hyper 212 you don't really need anything overkill, since I wouldn't advise anything more than a very mild overclock until you either get a big-ass air cooler or go liquid.

Now when y'all say video editing is a reason to get an i7, you mean like full fledged movie making right? If I want to make some competently edited YouTube videos, would that be possible with the i5 or better with the i7? It'd just be a side hobby, not gonna drop out of school or anything for it.

@Roflstomp why swap out the GPUs? They're the same 1070, is there some factor between the two that would make me prefer one over the other? 

Better cooling capabilities, and it's an all-around better setup on the EVGA card for an extra $20. Warranty, step-up program, all that jazz applies. Also, for the CPU, you'll done fine with some side-editing on an i5. Hyperthreading helps, but where it isn't being constantly done, the extra $100 is better diverted into other components.

2 hours ago, Roflstomp said:

Better cooling capabilities, and it's an all-around better setup on the EVGA card for an extra $20. Warranty, step-up program, all that jazz applies. Also, for the CPU, you'll done fine with some side-editing on an i5. Hyperthreading helps, but where it isn't being constantly done, the extra $100 is better diverted into other components.

Okay, y'all convinced me. What do think of this? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FBzgcc 

I added a slightly better GPU than the one you suggested, added a nicer case, and dropped to the i5. 

It says the max voltage of the build is 430 W. Shouldn't I go with a larger PSU, since the 650 W would be operating at 66% at max?