Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheOrangeGrape

got scammed...

Alright, I know I thought and many of you probably think that you must be stupid to be scammed. I might've been stupid but this guy was really careful and creative with how he scammed. He scammed me by using a fake OPskins bot to trade my items, somehow, I still don't understand how I only got 1 trade offer after i put my item up for sale on the website, I should've got one from the real but and one from the fake bot, but I only got one offer, from the fake bot. Basically what I'm trying to say is, be very careful when you're trying to trade items, especially if they're from 3rd party sites, like OPskins. He scammed me of about $50 of items from csgo and h1z1, including my FT ak47 neon revolution...

Sorry to hear man, you don't necessarily have to be dumb to get scammed, sometimes you can simply get unlucky, and make an error. 

I hope though at least you'll learn something from this, and you'll be more careful next time you decide to do anything, if you decide to do anything. 

Just now, Mark from Facebook said:

Sorry to hear man, you don't necessarily have to be dumb to get scammed, sometimes you can simply get unlucky, and make an error. 

I hope though at least you'll learn something from this, and you'll be more careful next time you decide to do anything, if you decide to do anything. 

Yeah, I definitely know now, basically not to try to trade from 3rd party sites and if you do to make sure 100% that nothing is sketchy and they're not trying to scam.

I have a friend who was scammed the exact same way, he lost around $300 because of someone doing the same thing. Sorry to hear man, make sure you reported him. 

3 hours ago, Booch said:

Sucks to suck lol

Damn Booch no need to be a dick. Sorry about your items grape.

Booch aka non cooch luver LUL

Just now, Jodas said:

Have you checked @KiLLeR's inventory yet? He probably scammed you.

Did you come up with this by yourself? This is a quality joke that i haven't heard before. 

I recommend you never trade with someone unless it's a steam trade...

What you couldve done is, on opskins they have a link to a group with all their bots. If you checked that, you probably would've seen that the scammer was not in that group. 

I've been scammed before too I didn't think you guys would take it personally. 

Just now, Booch said:

I've been scammed before too I didn't think you guys would take it personally. 

People cant read sarcasm, therefore we made the "/" and the "s" so we could do /s             /s

11 hours ago, TheOrangeGrape said:

Alright, I know I thought and many of you probably think that you must be stupid to be scammed. I might've been stupid but this guy was really careful and creative with how he scammed. He scammed me by using a fake OPskins bot to trade my items, somehow, I still don't understand how I only got 1 trade offer after i put my item up for sale on the website, I should've got one from the real but and one from the fake bot, but I only got one offer, from the fake bot. Basically what I'm trying to say is, be very careful when you're trying to trade items, especially if they're from 3rd party sites, like OPskins. He scammed me of about $50 of items from csgo and h1z1, including my FT ak47 neon revolution...

Do you use google chrome or Firefox? Have you downloaded any addons, ie. Steam inventory helper, or lounge destroyer? The reason I ask is because if you do have some sort of add-on that is not steam inventory helper, it's probably not legit. This was a very common thing back when lounge was popular. Basically they claim it does x y and z, and sometimes it does, but it also has a bot embedded in it where it intercepts any offers and sends a bot similarly named with a fake trade. Some of these bots could actually decline incoming offers from sites so you only see theirs. There also was a glitch where they could bypass the mobile authenticator, but this has been patched. I would also highly recommend you change your steam trading url. Just search "steam trade url" and it should be the first link. I would also contact steam support; they more than likely will not do anything, but I would still try. 

Related advice

when trading always triple check the profile, if it is a sites actual bot, the inventory will always be set to public and they will always have lots of items in their inventory. 

If trading with a person just remember +rep means nothing, and if a persons comment section only has +rep 9.9/10 times they are a scammer. 

NEVER trade with a middleman, just don't do it. It's never not a scam.

Steam level (under ~70) and steam age typically do not matter. I recently bought a 10 year old steam account for $15 and have had several very old accounts try to scam me 

Never click links from a stranger. Always double check the spelling of the links you are thinking about clicking

If you have a bad feeling about someone, trust your gut instinct

Do not trust people who claim they are on their alt, always work with the main profile

Do not download addons. The one and only one that I trust for steam is Steam Inventory Helper

If you click a phishing link lock your account as soon as possible, and change your passwords immediately ( I have had to do this in the past) 

Lastly here's some life advice, if it's too good to be true than it is. This has saved me in numerous sitation, in-game and real life

I'm typing all of this because I genuinely hate to see you guys get scammed by these low-lifes. They pray on the young and naive.  When I first started out no one told me any of this and I really wish someone did. If you are ever in doubt about a trade or need any sort of advice please don't hesitate to ask me.  This goes for anyone. Here is my steam url for anyone that doesn't have me added https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077912320

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps at least one of you

How i lost my knife! The dude some how copy Boondocks steam profile and scammed me out a nice ass knife!

2 hours ago, sweetrock said:

How i lost my knife! The dude some how copy Boondocks steam profile and scammed me out a nice ass knife!

L m a o

Ouch. Reading this reminded me of a friend who got 500~ of her stuff scammed the same way. I'm sorry to hear. As bad as it is, at least it wasn't a crazy amount gone. Hope you get a dragon lore drop in return! 

8 hours ago, Apache said:

Do you use google chrome or Firefox? Have you downloaded any addons, ie. Steam inventory helper, or lounge destroyer? The reason I ask is because if you do have some sort of add-on that is not steam inventory helper, it's probably not legit. This was a very common thing back when lounge was popular. Basically they claim it does x y and z, and sometimes it does, but it also has a bot embedded in it where it intercepts any offers and sends a bot similarly named with a fake trade. Some of these bots could actually decline incoming offers from sites so you only see theirs. There also was a glitch where they could bypass the mobile authenticator, but this has been patched. I would also highly recommend you change your steam trading url. Just search "steam trade url" and it should be the first link. I would also contact steam support; they more than likely will not do anything, but I would still try. 

Related advice

when trading always triple check the profile, if it is a sites actual bot, the inventory will always be set to public and they will always have lots of items in their inventory. 

If trading with a person just remember +rep means nothing, and if a persons comment section only has +rep 9.9/10 times they are a scammer. 

NEVER trade with a middleman, just don't do it. It's never not a scam.

Steam level (under ~70) and steam age typically do not matter. I recently bought a 10 year old steam account for $15 and have had several very old accounts try to scam me 

Never click links from a stranger. Always double check the spelling of the links you are thinking about clicking

If you have a bad feeling about someone, trust your gut instinct

Do not trust people who claim they are on their alt, always work with the main profile

Do not download addons. The one and only one that I trust for steam is Steam Inventory Helper

If you click a phishing link lock your account as soon as possible, and change your passwords immediately ( I have had to do this in the past) 

Lastly here's some life advice, if it's too good to be true than it is. This has saved me in numerous sitation, in-game and real life

I'm typing all of this because I genuinely hate to see you guys get scammed by these low-lifes. They pray on the young and naive.  When I first started out no one told me any of this and I really wish someone did. If you are ever in doubt about a trade or need any sort of advice please don't hesitate to ask me.  This goes for anyone. Here is my steam url for anyone that doesn't have me added https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198077912320

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps at least one of you

Thanks for the advice, I did not install anything or any addons, I'm using google chrome.