Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freekiller #3

i7-6800k vs ryzen 7

I can get a 6800k for $379

or should I go for a ryzen 7

mainly for gaming and some productivity tasks

My issue is the ram compatibility on ryzen motherboards

Ryzen compatible ram seems to be more expensive than run of the mill corsair vengeance

Give me your thoughts sG (I don't want a 7700k)

In what terms are you doing productivity in? 

In terms of gaming, if you are 80% gaming and only 20% productivity, I would say go for a 4 core with hyper-threading (i7 7700k, YES I DO REALIZE HE DOESN'T WANT THIS BUT IF ITS MAINLY FOR GAMING HE SHOULD GET THIS) as many games prefer the use of less, faster, and higher IPC cores.

If you are doing 50/50, I would wait till Skylake-X comes out as that is rumored to be Intel's next enthusiast 6+ core lineup.

The 6800k is part of the Broadwell-E lineup (slightly outdated) and is easily beaten by the Ryzen 7's in productivity, but the other way in gaming. The 6800K's price is also similar to that of a 1700X (basicly a 1800X but the silicon isn't binned).

The Ryzen chips will be getting more RAM compatibility sooner or later, many of the current issues are due to AMD's short time frame that they gave motherboard manufacturing companies as well as RAM fabrication companies.

I decided to go for the ryzen chip.

I am gaming at 1440p and there doesn't seem to be that big of a difference between the i7 and ryzen chip at that resolution and the extra cores and threads will help when multi tasking, etc.

So far I ordered the motherboard that I want, but I am going to get my ryzen 7 chip in store

I am not sure if I am going for the 1800x, the 1700x, or the 1700

Just now, Freekiller #3 said:

I decided to go for the ryzen chip.

I am gaming at 1440p and there doesn't seem to be that big of a difference between the i7 and ryzen chip at that resolution and the extra cores and threads will help when multi tasking, etc.

So far I ordered the motherboard that I want, but I am going to get my ryzen 7 chip in store

I am not sure if I am going for the 1800x, the 1700x, or the 1700

The 1800X is a binned silicon chip (meaning that it can preform the best in overclocking and overall performance) hence the $150 price premium. 1700X is "middle grade" binned chips, and 1700 is mainly the left overs that function properly. I still think that because you aren't looking for heavy workflows, you should get the 7700k due to its higher IPC and clock speeds allowing for greater than 700 fps with a 1080ti in CS:GO

1700X is a good sweet spot. I have the 1700, but you dont get as much power as the other chips. But I did get my chip to run at 3.8 at 1.3 volts with just the stock cooler. Haven't seen it go over 75C even when I did a stress test. Most things it hovers in the low to mid 60's. But with an AIO you can push the chip even higher.

What motherboard did you get? I have the Gigabyte x370 Gaming 5 and I can get my Gskill trident z to clock at 3200 after I did a Bios update. 

And yes, at 1080p Intel kills it in GAMING vs Ryzen 7. But once you go to 1440p or 4k, there isn't much difference. And if you are editing videos, doing content creation, or streaming, Ryzen is the best choice for the price.

If you're tight on cash, go 1700X. You can overclock it and it would basically be a 1800X. Or just yolo and buy the top of the line like I did.

With the money you save by buying the 1700X, you can almost buy an AIO watercooler setup. That's worth it. Or just use a hyper 212 evo with noisey fucking aftermarket fans that ramp up for no reason. That's cool too.

15 hours ago, Velo said:

If you're tight on cash, go 1700X. You can overclock it and it would basically be a 1800X. Or just yolo and buy the top of the line like I did.

With the money you save by buying the 1700X, you can almost buy an AIO watercooler setup. That's worth it. Or just use a hyper 212 evo with noisey fucking aftermarket fans that ramp up for no reason. That's cool too.

Dude I asked you what kind of temps you get with the hyper 212 in your build thread, never replied FeelsBadMan 

I was curious because I wanted to gauge my cooling needs for the cpu

Also I got a gigabyte gaming k7 board