Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yunki

[Serious] Career choice and advice

So currently I am transferring to UCSB and getting a BS in Psychological and Brain Sciences. One of my career choices was becoming a NP (Nurse Practitioner), more specifically a PMHNP (Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner). When I did research a few months back I read from multiple sites that I could get my MSN without a BSN, as long as my major was still related to science. However, when I see the requirements to become an NP it says I need to be a RN, and to be an RN I need to have a BSN. Do I need to change my major to become a RN? 

Also any advice on how to increase my likelihood of succeeding in the field. 

I appreciate any advice, I'm going to my counselor, but last time they weren't all that helpful.

@ChosenOne2000 @Junzou @Iherdcows

Not sure what is the most common path to becoming a nurse practitioner but one person I know who is in a nurse practitioner program went to nursing school first, worked for 2-3 years in a hospital and then went on to NP school.

Just now, Bulldog said:

You can become an RN without a BSN through a different program. 

Awesome, I'm going to try to find info about the program. Ty bulldog :D

Just now, Yunki said:

Awesome, I'm going to try to find info about the program. Ty bulldog :D

I have a PMHNP that works for me. You'll need to ultimately earn a specialized MSN. Yes there are programs that allow you to skip the BSN, but I'd advise against it. An RN is an associate level certification. The BSN and MSN are needed for management and APRNs. I'm starting my RN program this Fall leading to a PMHNP for prescription privileges within 3 years. I'll  keep you posted if you have additional questions.

Just now, Ian Kinsler said:

Why not medical or PA school?

From what I understand Nursing is more patient-based, you spend more time with the patient compared to a physician. Also, while I do think I am a smart person and a decent student, I do not think I am at a level where I can survive medical school. You go to school for longer and I'm assuming it will cost more money. 

Ultimately, the job I want (Psychiatric NP) requires a MSN. Medical school is a lot tougher and while you do get a better pay, if I can get at least $90k a year working a job I actually want to do, I'm happy with it. 

1 hour ago, ChosenOne2000 said:

I have a PMHNP that works for me. You'll need to ultimately earn a specialized MSN. Yes there are programs that allow you to skip the BSN, but I'd advise against it. An RN is an associate level certification. The BSN and MSN are needed for management and APRNs. I'm starting my RN program this Fall leading to a PMHNP for prescription privileges within 3 years. I'll  keep you posted if you have additional questions.

My school does not have a Nursing major but on their website they say ---

"If you hope to obtain a B.S.N, you may follow one of two routes: complete the pre-nursing requirements in preparation for transferring to a bachelor’s program in Nursing at another school, or complete a bachelor’s degree at UCSB and apply to an accelerated B.S.N. program. Accelerated B.S.N. programs allow students to earn the degree in 12-18 months, and are designed for students who have a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing discipline."

Is this a viable option too? 

Just now, Yunki said:

From what I understand Nursing is more patient-based, you spend more time with the patient compared to a physician. Also, while I do think I am a smart person and a decent student, I do not think I am at a level where I can survive medical school. You go to school for longer and I'm assuming it will cost more money. 

Ultimately, the job I want (Psychiatric NP) requires a MSN. Medical school is a lot tougher and while you do get a better pay, if I can get at least $90k a year working a job I actually want to do, I'm happy with it. 

My school does not have a Nursing major but on their website they say ---

"If you hope to obtain a B.S.N, you may follow one of two routes: complete the pre-nursing requirements in preparation for transferring to a bachelor’s program in Nursing at another school, or complete a bachelor’s degree at UCSB and apply to an accelerated B.S.N. program. Accelerated B.S.N. programs allow students to earn the degree in 12-18 months, and are designed for students who have a bachelor’s degree in a non-nursing discipline."

Is this a viable option too? 

No need to get a second bachelors. Just go straight for your ADN and complete a BSN at another school. I have no interest in primary care, hence behavioral health.

I did shock-trauma for 3 years. I'm over it...