Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChosenOne2000

Need a high powered WiFi Router

The house I'm looking to rent in San Antonio is 3,600ish square feet. I need a wireless router that can hit every inch and my back yard. Looking to keep it under $300.

positioned near the back yard with clear visibility no problem.... if you want the entire house covered by only one well then you got a problem.

There are some very easy to setup router/repeater solutions but if you are looking to stay under $300 then I think you might have to do a DYI approach. I would look into DD-WRT and what $50-$100 routers you can flash DD-WRT onto. Then get 3-4 of those. Put DD-WRT on them and do a repeater or mesh setup. If you don't want to run network cable to each spot then all you need is power and to config them properly. If you don't mind running the cable then you have an even easier setup(config wise). Get a wifi scanner/meter app for your phone to find the weak/dead spots so you know the best spots to get the most coverage. 

I think your best bet would be to get a decent router, then use wifi extenders to extend the range on them. 

OR

break your rental agreement and run dedicated lines in your house

OR 

just have 50ft ethernet cables running everywhere on the floor xD

---

Personally for Wifi I use a Nighhawk (Model idr) but those run anywhere from 150 - 450$. Wifi Extenders are pretty cheap usually around 50$.

1 hour ago, spiderpigrider said:

would things like this help you out??

Im looking at the newer model of the one you listed (DAP 1330). I'm think maybe 2 or 3 of these ($100) should do the trick. The amazon reviews look good.

Thanks!

Just now, Fugner said:

Ballin.

Nah I just have a wife and daughter with a lot of junk. I plan on doing true room scale for my oculus, so I'm going to need a barren room to myself.