Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jodas

Political Compass

I have to agree with this one making you pick the extremes, rather than more middle sides of the issue, so if you were like 75% extreme left 25% extreme right it would put you in maybe "next gen left" instead of solid liberal.  But steadfast conservative isn't the "Alt-Right". Fuck those guys. 

Can someone point me to a law in this country that explicitly allows racism/discrimination against people of color or minorities? Because I've yet to see one. I'm not trying to be ignorant here, that should never be the goal. But I see a lot of people saying racism is alive in America on a civil level and I just find that statement itself naive.

1 hour ago, Swed said:

Can someone point me to a law in this country that explicitly allows racism/discrimination against people of color or minorities? Because I've yet to see one. I'm not trying to be ignorant here, that should never be the goal. But I see a lot of people saying racism is alive in America on a civil level and I just find that statement itself naive.

Laws concerning Crack vs cocaine are one. Close to the same thing yet when the war on drugs started Crack was used by Blacks and cocaine  by whites. Crack gets way worse sentences 

1 hour ago, Swed said:

"You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin. And then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities," Ehrlichman said. "We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

Even though this was back in Nixon's time, the idea of using drug laws to punish minorities hasn't at all disappeared. There's a reason why Trump's administration is so intent on cracking down on recreational and medical weed and don't care at all about alcohol.

Additionally, look at how the White House responds to shootings or riots committed by minorities and shootings by white nationalists. Trump refers to Chicago and other historical black cities as a warzones, yet says nothing about cities he has his rallies in that have identical crime levels. It's naive to suggest racism has nothing to do with the difference in tone.

52 minutes ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

Laws concerning Crack vs cocaine are one. Close to the same thing yet when the war on drugs started Crack was used by Blacks and cocaine  by whites. Crack gets way worse sentences 

I've watched the documentaries around the Laws affecting those in LA being much more severe on crack rather than cocaine. The documentary commented on how most of the lawmakers in Los Angeles themselves were black or people of color.

I'd recommend reading this article about black support for the bill that would instill the punishments around crack and cocaine. The claim that the separate punishments around the individual drugs is a plot by whites to incarcerate blacks is patently false, there were black groups, including the Congressional Black Caucus, at the time who supported the legislation, as this article provides evidence of being true.

I'm asking for laws in this country that explicitly allow for discrimination on the basis of a protected class as I stated previously. I don't believe there is one, and pointing me to motivations behind the law doesn't satisfy my question, which your example fails to do anyways.

7 hours ago, Beerman said:

I guess the other questions you answered put you into the liberal category rather than this question alone. Some left would say blacks don't have equal rights.

I guess some might think they don't have equal right just due to a decent amount of them not being born as wealthy as white people? I don't know. Even then, they still have equal rights, but maybe not as much of equal opportunities due to money.

47 minutes ago, Swed said:

I've watched the documentaries around the Laws affecting those in LA being much more severe on crack rather than cocaine. The documentary commented on how most of the lawmakers in Los Angeles themselves were black or people of color.

I'd recommend reading this article about black support for the bill that would instill the punishments around crack and cocaine. The claim that the separate punishments around the individual drugs is a plot by whites to incarcerate blacks is patently false, there were black groups, including the Congressional Black Caucus, at the time who supported the legislation, as this article provides evidence of being true.

I'm asking for laws in this country that explicitly allow for discrimination on the basis of a protected class as I stated previously. I don't believe there is one, and pointing me to motivations behind the law doesn't satisfy my question, which your example fails to do anyways.

Just because some blacks supported the law that doesn't mean it does not lead to discrimination against blacks. The results show it hurts blacks much  more than whites and if they really wanted to target crime without focusing on blacks both cocaine and Crack would have the same harsh laws. 

Also here is a case of a harsh law attempting to target minorities 

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/court-north-carolina-voter-id-law-targeted-black-voters/

17 minutes ago, Ordinarygamer96 said:

Just because some blacks supported the law that doesn't mean it leads to discrimitation against blacks. The results show it hurts blacks much  more than whites and if they really wanted to target crime without focusing on blacks both cocaine and Crack would have the same harsh laws. 

Also here is a case of a harsh law attempting to target minorities 

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/court-north-carolina-voter-id-law-targeted-black-voters/

I agree that Voter ID laws are purposefully crafted to target minorities to not allow them to vote and after reading the article, I agree with the decision the court made. They demonstrated a clear link between what the legislature researched and how they crafted their laws around their research to target African-Americans. The court, unlike most people in this country, made obvious an explicit link between the two, rather than allegations and no proof.

O boy I hate getting political, but just because something disproportionately hurts one race more than others (e.g. voter ID) doesn't make it racist. I'm sure some people support it with racist intent, but the fact that ANY country (let alone a "world power") would allow you to vote without legal ID proving you are a valid voter is insane to me. ID is required for so many things, and none of those are racist... voter ID is only racist because it fits a narrative - some who want it ARE being racist, but voter ID itself is a legitimate idea.

The real answer would be to solve whatever ID gap exists and help minorities get IDs easier (so it doesn't disenfranchise so many voters) and make voting a national holiday so everyone who works low wage jobs and can't walk out for multiple hours has a chance to vote.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, Face said:

O boy I hate getting political, but just because something disproportionately hurts one race more than others (e.g. voter ID) doesn't make it racist. I'm sure some people support it with racist intent, but the fact that ANY country (let alone a "world power") would allow you to vote without legal ID proving you are a valid voter is insane to me. ID is required for so many things, and none of those are racist... voter ID is only racist because it fits a narrative - some who want it ARE being racist, but voter ID itself is a legitimate idea.

The real answer would be to solve whatever ID gap exists and help minorities get IDs easier (so it doesn't disenfranchise so many voters) and make voting a national holiday so everyone who works low wage jobs and can't walk out for multiple hours has a chance to vote.

It becomes racist to me when many of the same states attempting voter Id laws are at the same time making getting ids harder or in the case of North Carolina also attempting to restrict early voting etc. Other states close locations you can get ids due to "budget cuts" but 90 percent of the time shut down the offices in poorer minority areas. Easy solution would be automatic voter registration once you're 18, no cost to get an id (I realize some states need the income but they should find it in a way that dosent hurt a citizen's ability to be involved in the political process), and extend voting times. Oregon has mail in ballots where they mail you the ballot and you can drop it off. While some would disagree with this I've seen way more people here actually able to vote and get involved because it's easier. Regardless of whether you want mail in ballots no law should ever in any way make it harder for people to vote if they're a citizen. Which voter Id laws, no matter the intent , do

It becomes racist to me when many of the same states attempting voter Id laws are at the same time making getting ids harder or in the case of North Carolina also attempting to restrict early voting etc. Other states close locations you can get ids due to "budget cuts" but 90 percent of the time shut down the offices in poorer minority areas. Easy solution would be automatic voter registration once you're 18, no cost to get an id (I realize some states need the income but they should find it in a way that dosent hurt a citizen's ability to be involved in the political process), and extend voting times. Oregon has mail in ballots where they mail you the ballot and you can drop it off. While some would disagree with this I've seen way more people here actually able to vote and get involved because it's easier. Regardless of whether you want mail in ballots no law should ever in any way make it harder for people to vote if they're a citizen. Which voter Id laws, no matter the intent , do

Voter ID and making getting IDs more costly/time consuming etc I would agree is racist.

North Carolina is garbage tho so nothing surprises me.

5 minutes ago, Face said:

Voter ID and making getting IDs more costly/time consuming etc I would agree is racist.

North Carolina is garbage tho so nothing surprises me.

Girlfriend's sister was stationed there with the Marines and she said the entire election she had to deal with new recruits and ordinary workers on the base constantly making racist remarks including one woman getting drunk at an officers party and complaining  about "dumb fucking black people (hint-she used a much harsher word". The woman also apparently didn't invite any blacks to the officers party but failed to realize my girlfriend's sister's husband was half French half northern African and apparently it got awkward as fuck when they all turned to him. In short from what I've heard the state needs work on so many levels

Try to get this thread back on track from Swed's attempt to derail it...

Nd88AyP.png

Idk why but I wouldn't guess we would be in the same bucket.

8 minutes ago, Face said:

Idk why but I wouldn't guess we would be in the same bucket.

I'm probably harder left on most social issues... but I'm definitely on the conservative side with illegal immigration and entitlement reform.

I'm probably harder left on most social issues... but I'm definitely on the conservative side with illegal immigration and entitlement reform.

Ha. Yeah, I'm very left on social issues buy neutral/slightly right on everything else

2 hours ago, Junzou said:

Try to get this thread back on track from Swed's attempt to derail it...

Nd88AyP.png

A question in the poll asks something song the lines of whether blacks are equal in the U.S. I was simply analyzing the question from a legal standpoint. You can leave the inaccurate remark outside of serious discussion.

1 hour ago, Swed said:

A question in the poll asks something song the lines of whether blacks are equal in the U.S. I was simply analyzing the question from a legal standpoint. You can leave the inaccurate remark outside of serious discussion.

Yeah, I interpreted that question from a legal standpoint too, as if it were asking "Are there guarantees/protections/freedoms made for white people that are denied to black people?" and I couldn't really think of anything. There are still discriminatory practices in operation that target minority communities, but there's nothing that a white individual can do that a black individual cannot also do in this country as far as I know, and that's what I felt the question was asking. 

Anyways, back to the main topic. I like the political spectrum quiz that slyfox posted a link for the most so far. 

KoVCLVF.png

I like that it not only allows you to choose the degree to which you agree/disagree but also that you can choose how important that issue is to you.

Edit: Looking at their party-analysis, it's interesting how the overlap between Democrats and Republicans occurs mostly left of center. It's also interesting how much more spread there is for Republicans. I don't know if that means the Republican platform is more ideologically-inclusive or what.

grid_dem_rep.png

This isn't a big surprise to me. 

I don't know what kind of assumptions people may create of me based from these results. I've never smoked weed. I don't come from a wealthy family, but nor do I come from an improvised family. I have lobbied for multiple issues at my state capital. I have worked my way through school (BA in English & PolySci) without the help of any loans or parent aid. I have never used any form of government aid. I did apply for FAFSA once but was denied as I never registered myself for the selective service.

vRQ71UG.png

4x29.gif

n18.gif

c7.gif