Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChosenOne2000

Nature vs Nurture

Jerry Sandusky's ADOPTED son Jeffrey was busted for child sex abuse. If this incident doesn't support nurture, then you won't find a better arguement.

@Junzou

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18705908/jeffrey-sandusky-jerry-sandusky-son-waives-hearing-child-sex-abuse-case

This is pretty neat. The safe answer to "nature vs nuture" was always, both. With this though, people can start saying that while nature can have an impact, perhaps it is nurture which has the "ultimate" say in behavior. I'm sure you would know better than most of here, but has there been studies or instances where children who are predisposed to disorders like pedophilia, schizophrenia, psychopathy, etc., have seemed to offset their odds by being raised in a "more secure" lifestyle?

While not directly related to the article, how strong can nurture be? We see it can make an individual who (as far as we know) had no reason by nature to commit sexual abuse against children, but does it have the "power" to stop someone who IS inclined to commit these acts or types of behavior? 

Back to my question about the study in my first paragraph, if people still seem to fall victim to these disorders, even with an exceptionally better upbringing, then I think we get back to square one, where they both more or less have the same impact.

At this development point in our society, it's almost impossible to have a child be able to go with its nature. The entire process of a baby's early years is nurture, nurture, nurture. For someone in such a nurturing place, it's nearly impossible for nature traits to be shown, aside from basic body function. I'd agree this is a good case of nurturing gone wrong. 

If nurture is the primary factor in child development. If we learn enough about it i can't wait for the ethical dilemmas that will come from that knowledge. If we know this child came up in an environment that creates child molesters (that is after the reveal of parental wrong doings) can action be taken to convict him of a crime he hasn't committed yet? Or is there a way to later in life deconstruct the problems with his early nurture?

3 hours ago, ChosenOne2000 said:

Jerry Sandusky's ADOPTED son Jeffrey was busted for child sex abuse. If this incident doesn't support nurture, then you won't find a better arguement.

@Junzou

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18705908/jeffrey-sandusky-jerry-sandusky-son-waives-hearing-child-sex-abuse-case

... but you know nothing about his bio parents :)

As someone with basically the opposite views and interests compared to my parents and generally my family I've always believed it was often the social environment outside the home that affects you more than you think. Of course I also have different views than most of the fake christian rich snobs that went to my catholic high school so I don't really know haha. Immediate friend group I think develops you a lot as a person.