Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChosenOne2000

White Wealth

IMO it's a really weak article. I'm seeing a thesis with 2 supporting evidences:

Inheritance matters a lot more than previously thought: whites’ wealth advantage—and blacks’ disadvantage—gets passed down from generation to generation. 

The only 2 evidence provided are:

One powerful factor seems to be that whites are five times as likely as blacks to receive substantial gifts and inheritances, and the sums they get tend to be much larger. The money “can be used to jump-start further wealth accumulation, for example, by enabling white families to buy homes and begin acquiring equity earlier in their lives,” the study says.

Okay, whites get larger inheritances more often than blacks. Did we previously not think that? With the Civil Rights Acts being enacted in '64, that doesn't give as much time for an average black family member to start up a career and save up a large inheritance as compared to an average white family member.

[The author of the study] points to another study she co-wrote on racial steering in mortgages. (proceeds to give brief overview of old news on the banks that made "predatory loans".)

I did an essay on another article (really good one by the way, gives insights on racial discrimination's roots and how they affect today) and that one had more much more info on the topic. I was expecting news of more banks doing shady stuff like this but the article just gives a brief review of what happened 4-6 years ago and from what I know, there aren't anymore of this being done cause our Justice Department shut that shit down fast.

I guess you could say that analyzing and interpreting the study could be used as evidence against counter-arguments (i.e.:"It’s natural to assume that if blacks have less wealth it’s because they’re doing less saving," blah blah blah, goes on to disprove that w/ the study) but the argument as it stands is on really weak foundations -- the bulk of the article is focused on the counter-arguments and the argument gets like 2 paragraphs dedicated to it. Imo, they're really insubstantial and the article really isn't presenting anything new.

the inheritance portion is true in SOME circles, but how many people do you guys know white or other who inherited anything worthwhile? Personally, if my parents died today, I inherit debt. I would say this is true for many Americans. I grew up digging in couches for quarters to buy milk, probably until I was 16 when my dad had sufficient rank to actually buy groceries and such, but by this point we were around 100k in debt. Hell, my parents are still ~40k in debt and in their 60s.

As another point, let's look at lifestyle choices. Take pretty much any minority today.. like whites, they buy a cheap first car to stay within budget, great job here! this is how savings begins... the problem is minorities (not just blacks) next toss on rims that cost 5x what the car initially cost, then a "system" here begins the debt (AKA negative inheritance). Next let's look at attire. It's been taboo for a male to wear jewelry (aside from a wedding band)  for some time in multiple 1st world countries, yet we see minorities go out to buy expensive chains, rings, and other items to celebrate wealth they typically don't have. this all leads to LESS money saved as then hit their 30s. When I turned 30, I already had over 50k in the bank, why? I drove a 300$ car for all of college, I shopped at Wal-Mart for everything, and I worked. Did I splurge once in a while? Sure, but my first 3 computers were built from the cheapest parts you can find, I can't even remember the site, but let's just say 50% cheaper than everything else.

I had a budget and I stuck to it. When I kick the bucket, my kids will get a decent inheritance and no debt. Why? I saved and while I frivolously spend NOW i'm still well within my budget. Minorities are still at the point in their life (for some reason) that they feel the need to flaunt wealth. It gains nothing except street cred which is apparently more important than education (whether college, certifications, or trade school), savings for whatever, or simply living within their means. Hell, you can find people on welfare wearing chains and driving cars with chrome rims..

I'm going to be real, there are tons of poor white people with no inheritance for the same reasons there are a ton of black people, but the statistics will remain heavily slanted until minorities stop being fucking morons with their money.

@ChosenOne2000 I'd be interested on your input, as a black man who didn't/doesn't frivolously spend. Do you think your child will have an inheritance? Personally, while I know some here will quickly say it's different because you're an interracial couple so you're getting white wealth into the family, I have my doubts on that front, I would say the majority, if not all, of the wealth in your family comes from you. But IIRC, your mother is also well educated with a nice job. As long as 'The Sims' don't release a pay2play, I assume you would get some inheritance from her.  thoughts?

9 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

I did an essay on another article (really good one by the way, gives insights on racial discrimination's roots and how they affect today) and that one had more much more info on the topic.

Wow this is a lot to chew on. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, MistaChang said:

Do you feel that if you were white, you would have made more money in the military, or have had better options due to "white privilege"?

I'm going to answer for him real quick. Military pay, in the US, is standardized. You can't make more money being white or other. Further, the military paid for c12 to get a bachelors, 2 masters, and a doctoral degree. He was a final pick for a NASA program..

in jobs with standardized pay, "equal opportunity" > white privilege. A black person is always going to get favor or else the company is racist.

https://www.dfas.mil/dam/jcr:0066b0ac-2d02-47a6-8b78-1cdc91b56ef7/2017MilitaryPayChart.pdf

above link is the pay for all ranks based on time in service. there is no change for being white

obviously he can chime in when the time presents itself to him, but I just wanted to clarify that it's not possible to make more in the mil based on race.

9 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

I did an essay on another article (really good one by the way, gives insights on racial discrimination's roots and how they affect today) and that one had more much more info on the topic. I was expecting news of more banks doing shady stuff like this but the article just gives a brief review of what happened 4-6 years ago and from what I know, there aren't anymore of this being done cause our Justice Department shut that shit down fast.

this is an interesting article that definitely shines a light on how historically horrible it was in the US for minorities. However, if you think there aren't people of all races taking advantage of a disadvantaged person in the US, you're crazy. when I say disadvantaged I'm talking about unable to read, blind, any handicap that presents an opportunity for someone to rip them off.

consider, you go to a used car lot, you can't read, do you think you're going to leave there with the best deal? Hell, Americans in general in the last quarter of 2016 were ripped off for tens of millions by people from India... greed doesn't not respect race or religion, it preys on the weak regardless of skin color.

@drizthe site was pricewatch.com . I'll come out and say it. GENERALLY speaking, minorities spend money on dumb shit. My mom was on welfare during my elementary years. She earned her bachelors, got a GS-11 job, and got off of welfare. Through observation, I learned education and wealth have a strong binary relationship. My wife's family isn't rich and I make 3x more than she does. Hopefully, by the time I die, my daughter will be established in the workforce and won't have to depend on inheritance to sustain her current lifestyle.

I'm cheap. I still have shirts I wore in 7th grade. I'm not ashamed nor am I bragging; I make a decent amount of money and I have a respectable amount of fame for who I am and what I do. If I were white, who knows how much more success I would have right now.

@MistaChang absolutely white privilege has negatively affected my career. I'm in no way Afrocentric, however I have to be twice as good at my job and twice as educated just to be considered "good enough". I have to be three times as good just to get ahead. And when you're three times as good, the good 'ole boy network closes ranks. 

18 minutes ago, ChosenOne2000 said:

@drizthe site was pricewatch.com . I'll come out and say it. GENERALLY speaking, minorities spend money on dumb shit. My mom was on welfare during my elementary years. She earned her bachelors, got a GS-11 job, and got off of welfare. Through observation, I learned education and wealth have a strong binary relationship. My wife's family isn't rich and I make 3x more than she does. Hopefully, by the time I die, my daughter will be established in the workforce and won't have to depend on inheritance to sustain her current lifestyle.

I'm cheap. I still have shirts I wore in 7th grade. I'm not ashamed nor am I bragging; I make a decent amount of money and I have a respectable amount of fame for who I am and what I do. If I were white, who knows how much more success I would have right now.

@MistaChang absolutely white privilege has negatively affected my career. I'm in no way Afrocentric, however I have to be twice as good at my job and twice as educated just to be considered "good enough". I have to be three times as good just to get ahead. And when you're three times as good, the good 'ole boy network closes ranks. 

pricewatch! yes.. best site ever.

OK, so you believe white privilege has negatively affected you. Considering what I know about your ratings and the subsequent promotion, do you really think you are twice as good at your job as your peers? Is it more likely that rather than white privilege holding you back that early on in your career you were simply not as dedicated as you are now? I personally don't think you're "three times" as good as your peers, yet you're getting ahead just fine. Be real, if you were white, you wouldn't even have been past the 1st phase for NASA.. I'm not hating here, but I know your early career work ethic vs your current work ethic, I would say that played a far larger role than any white privilege did. You've gotten a ton of opportunities, including positions that would definitely bolster your position/career and you've turned them down.

2 hours ago, driz said:

this is an interesting article that definitely shines a light on how historically horrible it was in the US for minorities. However, if you think there aren't people of all races taking advantage of a disadvantaged person in the US, you're crazy. when I say disadvantaged I'm talking about unable to read, blind, any handicap that presents an opportunity for someone to rip them off.

Oh I agree with you here. One of the points that I made in my essay was weighing the banks' opportunity to make a lot of money versus them doing malicious acts just to hurt blacks. I argued that they simply saw an untapped market and cashed in on it, as unethical as it may be.

Not saying that racial discrimination isn't a thing anymore, but we've definitely come a long way towards equality since the States were founded. driz makes a good point with equal opportunity -- the incident comes to mind of that one white kid who couldn't attend a university because it didn't have enough of another race so someone with lower test scores took his spot (I didn't fully look into it though so idk if it was bs or other qualifications was the actual deal.)

3 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Oh I agree with you here. One of the points that I made in my essay was weighing the banks' opportunity to make a lot of money versus them doing malicious acts just to hurt blacks. I argued that they simply saw an untapped market and cashed in on it, as unethical as it may be.

Not saying that racial discrimination isn't a thing anymore, but we've definitely come a long way towards equality since the States were founded. driz makes a good point with equal opportunity -- the incident comes to mind of that one white kid who couldn't attend a university because it didn't have enough of another race so someone with lower test scores took his spot (I didn't fully look into it though so idk if it was bs or other qualifications was the actual deal.)

to be fair, equal opportunity does SOMETIMES work both ways. eg. in Fayetteville, NC there is a tech school with a predominantly black population. White applicants get a minority scholarship when applying.

all in all, equal opportunity tends to hurt rather than help, IMO. while I wont say racism doesn't exist, I bet you would find a black man with qualifications gets the job before a better qualified white woman.

3 hours ago, driz said:

pricewatch! yes.. best site ever.

OK, so you believe white privilege has negatively affected you. Considering what I know about your ratings and the subsequent promotion, do you really think you are twice as good at your job as your peers? Is it more likely that rather than white privilege holding you back that early on in your career you were simply not as dedicated as you are now? I personally don't think you're "three times" as good as your peers, yet you're getting ahead just fine. Be real, if you were white, you wouldn't even have been past the 1st phase for NASA.. I'm not hating here, but I know your early career work ethic vs your current work ethic, I would say that played a far larger role than any white privilege did. You've gotten a ton of opportunities, including positions that would definitely bolster your position/career and you've turned them down.

I know for a fact NASA made a push to consider more women and minorities for their astronaut program. I do believe race was "a" factor, but not "the" factor. I haven't done the math, but I'm willing to wager blacks aren't equally represented in the astronaut corps relative to the population of our country. The fact NASA had to say "we need to consider more women and minorities" is evidence of the lack of representation.

My "peers" are desk jockeys and direct commissions with two degrees. Keep in mind I have tactical, technical, administrative, and trauma skills and experiences in ADDITION to my psych training. I'm absolutely three times as qualified as my peers on a regular day and two times as qualified on my worst day. 

I'm not being hyperbolic; I'm stating objective facts.

#Realtalk: You know I put off having children for roughly half my career because I wanted to focus on advancement. When I wasn't selected for promotion with my "peers", I was very jaded. I got promoted a year later, but that's a taste you can't shake. I'm very dedicated, but now I'm always working a plan-B just in case.

3x as many skills != 3 times more qualified.

I have tactical, strategic and administrative skills and experience, they do not make me more qualified than my other voice consultant peers. I don't see how admin/tactical experience make you more qualified as a doctor. As a Soldier in general, of course you're significantly more qualified, but as a doctor? I don't see it.

if the job description had: 

Required: Must be a doctor

Pluses: tactical, technical, administrative, and trauma skills

if you're competing against just a doc, then I agree; However, I doubt the job description of your current role requires those pluses which negates the skills in terms of direct competition.

27 minutes ago, driz said:

3x as many skills != 3 times more qualified.

I have tactical, strategic and administrative skills and experience, they do not make me more qualified than my other voice consultant peers. I don't see how admin/tactical experience make you more qualified as a doctor. As a Soldier in general, of course you're significantly more qualified, but as a doctor? I don't see it.

if the job description had: 

Required: Must be a doctor

Pluses: tactical, technical, administrative, and trauma skills

if you're competing against just a doc, then I agree; However, I doubt the job description of your current role requires those pluses which negates the skills in terms of direct competition.

Can we objectively agree it doesn't make me LESS qualified than my peers? At one point the Army said those words. As you said, "I don't see it".

10 minutes ago, ChosenOne2000 said:

Can we objectively agree it doesn't make me LESS qualified than my peers? At one point the Army said those words. As you said, "I don't see it".

of course, I don't consider you to be less qualified than your peers. with your drive for further education, I would agree you may even be more qualified, or WILL BE, I just cant agree on you being 3x more qualified :P

I mean hell, you're more qualified than half the signal officers I know for THEIR jobs

that being said, we always knew that being a support MOS in a line unit would be bad for us, you got fucked, no doubt, but it was because you're medical as opposed to aviation/infantry, not because you are black.

I am so sick and goddamn tired of being told that because I'm white and that a few generations ago my family made good decisions that somehow I'm the reason why people of color are poor. I grew up in a poor neighborhood in Texas where my family couldn't always afford the $1.75 lunch tab I had every day. I worked a job while going to school, worked a job while going to college, and work a job now that pays a pretty penny. Nobody told me that I should feel sorry for myself or that my problems were the cause of other people. This race baiting liberal bullshit is so old. I don't respect the crocodile tears of people who think the system is rigged against them from being successful like myself.

12 hours ago, Ian Kinsler said:

I am so sick and goddamn tired of being told that because I'm white and that a few generations ago my family made good decisions that somehow I'm the reason why people of color are poor. I grew up in a poor neighborhood in Texas where my family couldn't always afford the $1.75 lunch tab I had every day. I worked a job while going to school, worked a job while going to college, and work a job now that pays a pretty penny. Nobody told me that I should feel sorry for myself or that my problems were the cause of other people. This race baiting liberal bullshit is so old. I don't respect the crocodile tears of people who think the system is rigged against them from being successful like myself.

Pretty sure the study isn't saying whites as a whole are rich. Its saying that on average white families were able to save wealth at a better rate than black families because of certain factors in the past. If you think blacks aren't negatively affected by the fact they essentially weren't allowed to start accumulating wealth for the most part until relatively recently I don't know what to say. People benefit and have a much higher chance to succeed if their family had money and wealth saved up. Most black families weren't allowed to. Whites did have the chance for the most part.

I have a question... 

If this article were true... education and spending habits don't affect wealth, then how would you explain the data in the following article? 

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/26/news/economy/asians-wealth-whites/

The above article seems to say that Asians are wealthier precisely because of our level of education and financial habits. 

I bet Jews accumulate wealth at an astonishing rate, and since they have dark skin (obviously ethnic, not religious, you stupid fucks), boom black wealth. Case closed

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, driz said:

I bet Jews accumulate wealth at an astonishing rate, and since they have dark skin (obviously ethnic, not religious, you stupid fucks), boom black wealth. Case closed

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'll see your Jew money and I'll raise you an Arab money.

Arabs are more likely to get nasty with black women. Jews be racist. Just get black women to shake their thang for richs arabs. In a couple generations maybe blacks will have the wealth. Maybe it will solve the the radical islam problem as well as black women would no be taking any of that cover up religious shit. They won't be able to handle pissed off black women and will change their ways if they still want a piece of that sweet chocolate booty.