Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Groot

Weekend: server is dead

I don't think ping is the issue to be honest. Like you said, it's the content (rules for JB) on the server, whether it be east, central or west, especially for Jailbreak.

7 minutes ago, Travesty said:

I don't think ping is the issue to be honest. Like you said, it's the content (rules for JB) on the server, whether it be east, central or west, especially for Jailbreak.

What rules would you add/remove/change? 

34 minutes ago, Ruffles said:

I laughed because you act like you know how SO's work. The reason why most SO's stop playing or don't wanna do it anymore is the players, the babysitting, and the constant dedication they put into the server. Quite honestly, it gets to be tiresome after real life stuff you do. Then you have to jump onto jailbreak or whatever server you're dedicated to. There are SO's who are dedicated and know the rules, and overall wanna better their server. If they didn't, then clamps or bulldog wouldn't have assigned them to it. It's actually hard to be an SO to a server that doesn't have a population. I've always known there has to be a change before anything gets better. Anytime it's suggested for a change or anyone wants something done, it is usually denied. I know it's silly, but there are a lot of good jailbreak SO's (just like there are really good other SO's for their servers.) But it's hard to play when regulars rather play something else. 

And also the fact that JB is probably the hardest server to SO on, since they have to do stuff all the time (Along with TTT I guess). Its pretty easy to be a ZE, MG, KZ, War3 SO since they doesnt have to do much and the server can somewhat work without an admin on all the time.

12 minutes ago, Revöker said:

hmmmm 2015 JB pop was high when the server switched to west coast http://www.joinsg.net/forums/topic/65622-server-downtime/

then 2016 the server moves to Chicago and the pop falls http://www.joinsg.net/forums/topic/72018-chicago-moves-completed/

Gmod TTT does much better on the west coast vs central of the same server

West coast 7 days http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/vanilla-lax.joinsg.net:27025/

server_players.php?GSID=5387487&start=-1

Central 7 days http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/vanilla-chi.joinsg.net:27035/

server_players.php?GSID=5386668&start=-1

thinking-face.png hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I can relate with the Chicago move dropping pop because when it moved I ended up getting 200+ ping it was really frustrating to play, and I wasn't the only one having this problem.

8 minutes ago, Hawk said:

(Along with TTT I guess)

So many slays, kicks, warns, bans, and etc. Sometimes you're just all " I JUST WANT TO PLAY FUCKING TTT! STOP RDMING SO MUCH!!!!"

16 minutes ago, KiLLeR said:

What rules would you add/remove/change? 

Sorry I didn't mean to think rules were an issue. What I meant was rules are what attract you to a specific JB server, rather than what ping you get.

However I would add a 'No Killwhoring' rule because I've seen it happen so many times where someone accidentally makes a mistake and moves half an inch, and then get shot when they weren't actually rebelling.

4 minutes ago, Travesty said:

However I would add a 'No Killwhoring' rule because I've seen it happen so many times where someone accidentally makes a mistake and moves half an inch, and then get shot when they weren't actually rebelling.

I usually just ct after this happens multiple times and they've been warned. When they ask why i tell them killwhoring falls under "fun and diverse". I do agree though that an actual rule in the motd would be nice. 

Plus with the move to central I haven't seen many euro players like we used to like Red. I really didn't mind the move it helped my ping but in terms of pop those euro players helped

If you actually look, the dip happened in August 2015. Averaging 30 players to 20. Then in August 2016, after the move to Chicago, another dip happened from an average of 20 players to 10.

Again, I don't think ping is the issue (at least for Jailbreak). Correlation doesn't imply causation: the same dip occured at the same time the year before.

If only there were some sort of group of admins responsible for helping populate the server.  They could be some sort of officer of the servers, or something.  Groot, you could be one!  All you would have to do is pop in the server when you see it dead, instead of making posts about how dead it is.

18 minutes ago, Junzou said:

If only there were some sort of group of admins responsible for helping populate the server.  They could be some sort of officer of the servers, or something.  Groot, you could be one!  All you would have to do is pop in the server when you see it dead, instead of making posts about how dead it is.

Hmm I tried this trust me when I tell u ppl who join a jb server with low pop are more likely to leave bc the less ppl on the server its less fun bc most of the time will make each round a fd. I try to pop as much as I can but during the week my work schedule is less than ideal for ( as I said before) I leave for work right before school gets out and get off after the server is Dieing. Plus this isn't only an SO issue we do our best but when popping a jb server its a little harder than any of the other servers (other than servers like ttt where its almost a death match) jb only works with 10+ ppl but when below that it's like a slope up and immediate drop in a circle of low pop.

I tried poping tttgo recently, it was fucking horrible. Got like 5 or 6 randoms none of them knew wtf ttt is and they were just playing dm but I didn´t want to slay them or do anything because I didn´t want them to leave. #feelsbadman

I'm going to start getting on every day around 4 P.M. CST to try and get the server going. Anyone who wants to play can get on during this time and help populate it. This way there's a time that people know they can hop on and other people will be there. 

3 hours ago, Revöker said:

And old TTT died probably because of ppl not having CSS resources, really sad because it was much better than the shit TTT now.

This statement right here is so true and very sad at the same time. Not having a custom gmod ttt server gives me no reason to really play gmod anymore.

I'm sure we could have a popular custom server again at some point, but someone would have to manage/maintain it.

6 minutes ago, Jeff The Flying Shark said:

This statement right here is so true and very sad at the same time. Not having a custom gmod ttt server gives me no reason to really play gmod anymore.

I'm sure we could have a popular custom server again at some point, but someone would have to manage/maintain it.

I can throw some duct tape on it. Will that work?

1 hour ago, Jeff The Flying Shark said:

It depends, will the server be as glorious as the dildo launcher was or a crap custom minecraft server that @DaveTheFTAAA made for us?

I was thinking of coding the dildo launcher so it would cause the dildo model to attach to the characters backside and force them to only be able to walk for 10 seconds. Repeatedly pressing jump wouldn't work in terms of jumping but would shorten the forced walk time in half depending how much you spam jump. Crouching would work but would make the forced walk permanent for the rest of the round. 

3 hours ago, Ruffles said:

I laughed because you act like you know how SO's work. The reason why most SO's stop playing or don't wanna do it anymore is the players, the babysitting, and the constant dedication they put into the server. Quite honestly, it gets to be tiresome after real life stuff you do. Then you have to jump onto jailbreak or whatever server you're dedicated to. There are SO's who are dedicated and know the rules, and overall wanna better their server. If they didn't, then clamps or bulldog wouldn't have assigned them to it. It's actually hard to be an SO to a server that doesn't have a population. I've always known there has to be a change before anything gets better. Anytime it's suggested for a change or anyone wants something done, it is usually denied. I know it's silly, but there are a lot of good jailbreak SO's (just like there are really good other SO's for their servers.) But it's hard to play when regulars rather play something else. 

I disagree. If SO's are being beaten and broken down by doing their jobs as SO's, then they shouldn't hold their position anymore. Policing and babysitting is literally their job. The reason why the server seemed to decline in population/ at least for me, the ability to enjoy being on the server, is because Cows ran that bitch with an iron fist. He didn't argue. He didn't bitch. If somebody was creating a disturbance that was ruining the gaming experience for other players, he just kicked or banned them. Y'all are too scared to actually throw the book at these kids, I'm not attacking you, there are some great SO's, I'm talking about the ones who are afraid of losing their title from a CD post. They need a backbone. 

18 hours ago, Groot said:

squeaker squad left

18 hours ago, Groot said:

server has been at 0 all weekend

Hmmmmmmm

2 hours ago, Groot said:

Plus with the move to central I haven't seen many euro players like we used to like Red. I really didn't mind the move it helped my ping but in terms of pop those euro players helped

2 hours ago, Travesty said:

Again, I don't think ping is the issue (at least for Jailbreak). Correlation doesn't imply causation: the same dip occured at the same time the year before.

^^Like Trav said, the ping is not the issue.

Im an european player and chicago is closer to us so you are wrong on that part. 200+ ping on west and 130 in chicago. Red did not leave because of the ping.

The european players came with the pop not because the server was on the west coast lol

4 hours ago, Junzou said:

And now we're pre-February TMS, bringing in the indirect shade that really contributes to the situation, here we go boys.

4 minutes ago, Travesty said:

Not 100% but maybe March? @Karma would know better than me 

Maybe not when It started but I remember a lot of regulars, sG Members, SOs, and Staff stopped playing JB and went to Rust. Anyone who has played rust before knows it can take up most of your free gaming time. By all means I'm not saying get rid of rust but that could have been the reason to population cutback.