Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trav

Find My Phone

You may have saw this on reddit but I felt like reposting because it really was a well-made short film that's worth the watch. A film student documents the thief of his stolen phone by remotely using the phone with spyware (taking pictures and video; documenting location, texts, calls, etc.).

It's fascinating and scary how easy it was for him to do this... I wonder if someone is also watching me. I wonder if they see my poop face when I am taking a shit.

Anyone bother to root their phones or protect it in anyway? What would you recommend? Looking at you @driz you seem like you'd know something about it.

16 hours ago, Travesty said:

Anyone bother to root their phones or protect it in anyway? What would you recommend? Looking at you @driz you seem like you'd know something about it.

Only using samsung's own anti factory reset. Basically I have to log in and untick a check box from the settings in order to reset the phone (supposedly, no idea if it actually does anything lol).

On 12/16/2016 at 3:01 PM, Travesty said:

You may have saw this on reddit but I felt like reposting because it really was a well-made short film that's worth the watch. A film student documents the thief of his stolen phone by remotely using the phone with spyware (taking pictures and video; documenting location, texts, calls, etc.).

It's fascinating and scary how easy it was for him to do this... I wonder if someone is also watching me. I wonder if they see my poop face when I am taking a shit.

i always root my devices. While i've never gone to the extremes like this guy, i can ssh into my phone from anywhere as long as it has internet. doing that, i can poll the gps and get a location, or i can just have google find my device :D I suppose with ssh, i could scp a rootkit over and utilize the webcam and mic to see who has my shit.. never had to before though.

Phones have been getting harder and harder to root even Android phones. That is why my current phone I got a nexus because it was supposed a developer phone. Only problem is the US carriers had the phone locked down for awhile. Current Android phones have a vendor image so the carries can lock down certain features and prevent root access. Pain in the butt. Then I got it rooted and one day my android pay stopped working along with a bunch of other apps. They added a new API call apps can do called safety net to determine if your phone is rooted or not. Banks didn't want to allow their credit cards to be used work Android pay until they added safety net. On top of all that some manufacturers add a hardware aspect by Qualcomm called a qfuse. It is a chip that can only be incremented so once you trip it there is no going back. 

So now phones have a hardware chip that can trip if you unlock and flash an unauthorised bootloader. The vendor image from the carrier so a kernel level root prevention. As well as the software based safety net to use various methods they are also changing to detect root. 

Good luck in the future with trying to root phones.