Sign in to follow this  
Updates to the Loot Tables on our Server 11/17/16

I spent some time over the past couple days tweaking the loot tables on our server. As we are a 3x gather server, it only makes sense to make sure the loot is better to keep up with materials being easier to farm. This brings a better balance to raiding vs building with the component system. 

I have finally reached a configuration that I believe brings components to the accessibility level of our gathered materials on the server. 

Currently, the loot is separated into two "spawn type" loot tables. These types are barrels and crates.

Barrels can currently spawn any of these items: 

Food: 

Apples, Black Raspberries, Blueberries, Cans of Beans, Cans of Tuna,  Candy-canes,  Chocolate Bars,  Cooked Chicken, Cooked Bear meat, Cooked Fish, Cooked Pork, Cooked Wolf meat, Granola Bars, Minnows, Small Trout,  Small Water Bottles 

Components: 

CCTV Cameras, Gears, Metal Blades, Metal Pipes, Propane Tanks, Rifle Bodies, Road Signs, Rope, Semi Auto Body, Sewing Kits, Sheet Metal, SMG Bodies, Metal Springs, Targeting Computers, Tarps, Tech Trash

Attire: 

Boonie Hats, Baseball Caps, Hazmat Suits, Bandannas 

Misc:

Anti-rad Pills, Cameras,  Crude Oil,  Angry Jack-o-lanterns, Happy Jack-o-lanterns, Pookie Bears, Large Banner Hanging, Ornate Hanging Sign, Portrait Picture Frame,  Tall Picture Frame,  XL Picture Frame,  XXL Picture Frame,  Large Pole Banner,  Double Signpost, Single Signpost, Town Signpost, Two-Sided Town Signpost

Crates can currently spawn any of these items:

Food: 

Apples, Black Raspberries, Blueberries

Components: 

CCTV Cameras, Gears, Metal Blades, Metal Pipes, Rifle Bodies, Road Signs, Rope, Semi Auto Body, Sewing Kits, Sheet Metal, SMG Bodies, Metal Springs, Targeting Computers, Tech Trash

Attire: 

Hazmat Suits, Bandannas 

Misc:

Anti-rad Pills, Cameras

****Note: The crates spawn fewer different types of items because I cut the bullshit items out of them. (This prevents you from climbing the entire dome only to find a small water bottle or a tarp in a crate at the top.)****

Sampling of a few crates after making the new loot table active:

b3284fe2b99842f8afc337dc7bbb2e12.pngd752abc9b37543548212c714f825ee4a.png

c3feca210d7c45838e6e446b0f045ec8.png                     f8d016e0e54e451faf7c0110b9f13a6e.png

Edited by Karma

15 minutes ago, Sean said:

I'll give the server another try tonight :)

I finally got somewhere and then got shit on by a bear and rage quit.

Bears are scarier then players 

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

I whacked it with a pick axe and saw how much health it had. Was too late.

Your best bet is to pull out a building plan and make a foundation and jump up on it just make sure its a little bit off the ground the bears cant hit you then you just gotta bow it down

51 minutes ago, chris said:

Your best bet is to pull out a building plan and make a foundation and jump up on it just make sure its a little bit off the ground the bears cant hit you then you just gotta bow it down

Whenever a bear chases me I just accept my fate 

If you are near a large boulder or rock formation, sometimes bears and wolves can't climb them. They will sometimes phase through them

Edited by Velo

I spent some time over the past couple days tweaking the loot tables on our server. As we are a 3x gather server, it only makes sense to make sure the loot is better to keep up with materials being easier to farm. This brings a better balance to raiding vs building with the component system. 

I have finally reached a configuration that I believe brings components to the accessibility level of our gathered materials on the server. 

Currently, the loot is separated into two "spawn type" loot tables. These types are barrels and crates.

Barrels can currently spawn any of these items: 

Food: 

Apples, Black Raspberries, Blueberries, Cans of Beans, Cans of Tuna,  Candy-canes,  Chocolate Bars,  Cooked Chicken, Cooked Bear meat, Cooked Fish, Cooked Pork, Cooked Wolf meat, Granola Bars, Minnows, Small Trout,  Small Water Bottles 

Components: 

CCTV Cameras, Gears, Metal Blades, Metal Pipes, Propane Tanks, Rifle Bodies, Road Signs, Rope, Semi Auto Body, Sewing Kits, Sheet Metal, SMG Bodies, Metal Springs, Targeting Computers, Tarps, Tech Trash

Attire: 

Boonie Hats, Baseball Caps, Hazmat Suits, Bandannas 

Misc:

Anti-rad Pills, Cameras,  Crude Oil,  Angry Jack-o-lanterns, Happy Jack-o-lanterns, Pookie Bears, Large Banner Hanging, Ornate Hanging Sign, Portrait Picture Frame,  Tall Picture Frame,  XL Picture Frame,  XXL Picture Frame,  Large Pole Banner,  Double Signpost, Single Signpost, Town Signpost, Two-Sided Town Signpost

Crates can currently spawn and of these items:

Food: 

Apples, Black Raspberries, Blueberries

Components: 

CCTV Cameras, Gears, Metal Blades, Metal Pipes, Rifle Bodies, Road Signs, Rope, Semi Auto Body, Sewing Kits, Sheet Metal, SMG Bodies, Metal Springs, Targeting Computers, Tech Trash

Attire: 

Hazmat Suits, Bandannas 

Misc:

Anti-rad Pills, Cameras

****Note: The crates spawn fewer different types of items because I cut the bullshit items out of them. (This prevents you from climbing the entire dome only to find a small water bottle or a tarp in a crate at the top.)****

Sampling of a few crates after making the new loot table active:

b3284fe2b99842f8afc337dc7bbb2e12.pngd752abc9b37543548212c714f825ee4a.png

c3feca210d7c45838e6e446b0f045ec8.png                     f8d016e0e54e451faf7c0110b9f13a6e.png

When I was hitting crates and barrels yesterday I was getting individual hazmat pieces (glove,helmet,etc) rather than the entire suit. Was that also fixed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, ThatOllieWhoDies said:

When I was hitting crates and barrels yesterday I was getting individual hazmat pieces (glove,helmet,etc) rather than the entire suit. Was that also fixed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yes. The ONLY items that will spawn at all are those listed in my OP. 

Nice change!  almost makes me want to devote the little time I have free to play rust again!  (if only the wipes didn't happen for like 4 months, I may finally be able to get a good cache of shit....)

3 hours ago, ctark said:

Nice change!  almost makes me want to devote the little time I have free to play rust again!  (if only the wipes didn't happen for like 4 months, I may finally be able to get a good cache of shit....)

Maybe one day Rust will have a big enough community for a second long-wipe server. (Don't get your hopes up even if we do get big.)

I'm looking forward to playing this wipe a lot more due to this, thanks for all your hard work @Karma it's much appreciated and this is a welcome change.

1 hour ago, centran said:

Maybe now people won't have to raid all the time to get components and can spend the extra time role playing... 

What role play. The only one who I saw role play so far in the past 3 weeks has been french with his trader outpost. With loot drops being ridiculously easier to grab high end mats their is no need for a trader post anymore or anything similar.  Some people have played only a few hours and have found tech trash, rifle bodies, and smg bodies like mad. IMO the effort and satisfaction of acquiring these items has significantly dropped. Once again the server is back to just a deathmatch/team deathmatch without putting much effort into getting anything. You can walk 10 feet and find everything you need to build the high end guns and armor. Building a base is pointless as you can walk around to grab what you need then just hunt people. 

At this point you might as well just give everyone infinite kits for gear and building mats it's that easy to get everything.  (building mats for those who just want to build cool structures or get better at building)

Edited by Reaper0470

45 minutes ago, Reaper0470 said:

What role play. The only one who I saw role play so far in the past 3 weeks has been french with his trader outpost. With loot drops being ridiculously easier to grab high end mats their is no need for a trader post anymore or anything similar.  Some people have played only a few hours and have found tech trash, rifle bodies, and smg bodies like mad. IMO the effort and satisfaction of acquiring these items has significantly dropped. Once again the server is back to just a deathmatch/team deathmatch without putting much effort into getting anything. You can walk 10 feet and find everything you need to build the high end guns and armor. Building a base is pointless as you can walk around to grab what you need then just hunt people. 

At this point you might as well just give everyone infinite kits for gear and building mats it's that easy to get everything.  (building mats for those who just want to build cool structures or get better at building)

Sorry you feel that way. The response from most of the other players has been overwhelmingly positive, though. 

1 hour ago, Reaper0470 said:

-Quoted this and can't unquote rip-

I have to agree with Reaper, last wipe was my first full experience of the Rust server and it was quite enjoyable. The components system was a little frustrating with the drop rates and finding certain high end mats like Tech Trash and weapon bodies was tedious, but satisfactory. With this new update on day 1 anyone who has played for more than 30 minutes probably has an assault rifle or bolty. I was building my base and someone started to raid me(which is fine, it's part of the game and how people want to play it is up to them) but after being stuck inside my base for quite some time because I couldn't peek 3 people with rifles I was kind of annoyed. Getting these items before required actual time spent, not hitting a barrel and hoping to get lucky. 

For anyone who hasn't played the previous few wipes after components were introduced this will be a brief summary of actions you needed to take to acquire Tech Trash, Rifle/Smg Bodies, CCTV Camera's and Targetting Computers.

Pre-Loot Table Update:

Get Metal, Fuel and Cloth for Syringes

Hunt for a hazmat suit

Go into Rad Town, Train Yard, Sphere Tank, Military Tunnel etc. and hunt for military chest spawns(sometimes includes parkour and always taking rad damage)

Rinse repeat until you got what you wanted

Post-Loot Table Update:
Hit Barrel, rng, profit.

This takes all the fun out of the game in my opinion. Rust to me is a progression game, you start out with nothing and you build a base and gear up to raid others to acquire more gear and repeat the process. When you can skip straight to having C4 after smacking open some barrels and hitting some rocks and then go blow peoples doors down day 1 that's ridiculous IMO.

The Loot Table Update was a step in the right direction, I believe that without a doubt. However I personally think it was an overstep, changing the game to an extent where it feels much different from before. That being said, I'd like to present some of my ideas to what could be done if it's at all possible.

Loot Table Changes:

Food Crates/Boxes

It seems like crates and Food Crates/Boxes have the same loot table aswell. This isn't quite as pressing of an issue, however if Military Crates can have a separate loot table so should Food Crates/Boxes.

Food: 

Barrels

Components: 

Gears, Metal Blades, Metal Pipes, Propane Tanks, Road Signs, Rope, Sewing Kits, Sheet Metal, Metal Springs, Tarps, Tech Trash(x1 only, lowered drop rate)

Misc:

Anti-rad Pills, Crude Oil,  Angry Jack-o-lanterns, Happy Jack-o-lanterns, Pookie Bears, Large Banner Hanging, Ornate Hanging Sign, Portrait Picture Frame,  Tall Picture Frame,  XL Picture Frame,  XXL Picture Frame,  Large Pole Banner,  Double Signpost, Single Signpost, Town Signpost, Two-Sided Town Signpost

Crates

Components: 

Gears, Metal Blades, Metal Pipes, Rifle Bodies(incredibly rare chance), Road Signs, Rope, Semi Auto Body, Sewing Kits, Sheet Metal, SMG Bodies(incredibly rare chance), Metal Springs, Tech Trash(up to x3, still low drop rate)

Misc:

Anti-rad Pills

Military Crates

This is where the biggest changes are at, as after talking to Karma currently the Crates and Military Crates have the same loot table in this plugin. If it's possible by either getting the source code from the author or getting him to implement different loot tables for these as having them together is what IMO is causing such a massive imbalance. 

Components: 

CCTV Cameras, Gears, Metal Pipes, Rifle Bodies, SMG Bodies, Metal Springs, Targeting Computers, Tech Trash

Misc:

Anti-rad Pills, Cameras

Again, this is entirely my opinion and I understand that if the majority wants it to stay this way it will. 

43 minutes ago, Karma said:

Sorry you feel that way. The response from most of the other players has been overwhelmingly positive, though. 

That's because 70% of the server don't want to actually work for their stuff. They want to be babied and handed everything easily. So just give em kits. Cut out the middle man.

2 minutes ago, Reaper0470 said:

That's because 70% of the server don't want to actually work for their stuff. They want to be babied and handed everything easily. So just give em kits. Cut out the middle man.

Well, if 70% of our player base wants things a certain way then there's no question it should be done that way.

I can understand your point, I really do, and I actually agree-but that isn't what matters. I prefer vanilla myself, but I am catering to the majority here. I'm still tweaking weights of certain items on the table but for the most part, the item types are finished editing. The only way I find out what is good in practice is by actually letting changes play-out. Adjustments can then be made.