Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MistaChang

Chromebook For University

So, I've been thinking of getting a Chromebook, strictly for writing notes in university into google drive rather than having paper copies, which I will be backing up onto my PC most likely.   I have a gaming PC, so storing stuff on the Chromebook will be no issue to non-existent.  Even with web based applications, and without downloading google applications I feel 16 GB of hard drive isn't enough, but I've read that you can just stick an SD card in and boost your space, however most people haven't even used much of their SD card.  I plan on using the Chromebook using Google Drive to write notes and saving them inside Google Drive, I am prepared to spend $2.73 a month to upgrade my Cloud space from 15 GB to 100 GB. Is it dumb to get a Chromebook for strictly writing notes?  I am much more efficient at writing notes with a computer than paper, because my writing is messy, and I can catch mistakes much easier on Google Drive, than if I was making paper copies.  I am not interested in buying an extremely expensive laptop because that would be dumb when I already have a PC, I want something lightweight that can slip into my backpack without worry.  

Also during colder months, I will be traveling with it though really cold temperatures going down toward -45 degrees Celsius, will allowing a laptop 15 minutes to adjust to room temperature good enough?

I am looking at Asus Chromebook c202sa-ys02 11.6-inch, 4 GB version.

Yea this is a great idea if you can afford and want it. And it should survive a while in the cold, it is mainly heat that kills a computer. Just dont keep the computer fully exposed, just leave it in a bag or backpack and it will be just fine :) 

I'm not 100% sure but I am fairly sure when you buy a chromebook google gives you a good bit of drive storage for free. Thought it was like 500GB or something, but I've never heard of anyone letting a computer adjust to room temp but I've also never been in -45 weather so idk

I've had one for 3 years and the plastic has cracked a bunch from wear and tear, and i've run into problems with chromeOS, not being able to use audacity or programs that i needed for school but were windows OS based, but for the price and strictly for notes its not that bad

2 minutes ago, nothing_but_fail said:

I've had one for 3 years and the plastic has cracked a bunch from wear and tear, and i've run into problems with chromeOS, not being able to use audacity or programs that i needed for school but were windows OS based, but for the price and strictly for notes its not that bad

Yea Chromebooks arn't made to run that kind of programs, and the university I'm going to has a lab for computers with pretty high tech stuff for like printing stuff in 3D and other various stuff, as well just regular computers that don't have any programs.  Is the wear and tear self inflicted or have has it just cracked from age?  

1 minute ago, MistaChang said:

Yea Chromebooks arn't made to run that kind of programs, and the university I'm going to has a lab for computers with pretty high tech stuff for like printing stuff in 3D and other various stuff, as well just regular computers that don't have any programs.  Is the wear and tear self inflicted or have has it just cracked from age?  

Just from carrying it around in my backpack and stuff

3 minutes ago, nothing_but_fail said:

Just from carrying it around in my backpack and stuff

From just carrying it around I don't see how you would have cracked the plastic/rubber.  I take pretty decent care of my stuff so I shouldn't run into that problem.  The school I'm currently upgrading from has like 100 of these computers and they seem to be super tough.

Literally that's the only good use of a chromebook. I used one when I was at school at the time, and that's all like about it, just to take notes.